PDA

View Full Version : Monochrome paint colours

speedog
07-04-2009, 10:00 AM
Is it just me or does 90% of the public have 4 wheeled rides that are one of the few monochrome shades (black, white, grey, silver, charcoal, etc)?

Why are people so adverse to having a vehicle that is a vibrant colour? The three we currently have are red, orange and a custom painted slightly lighter than the old RCMP blue. Have also owned green, dark grey, silver and burgundy - overall, the coloured vehicles have been our favourites. Best colour I've seen as of lates - a rich milk chocolate brown.

Drive down any road and all around is a sea of black, white silver, grey - so lifeless IMHO. Yeah, there's your older crowd colours - burgundies, tans, light blues and greens. But vibrant colours, they're just not out there - it's like ppl are afraid of them as vehicle colour choices.

Isn't life too short to not have colour? Or do people just want to blend in, be a part of the crowd? Conforming maybe?

Thoughts? And what's the vehicle colours in your garage/home?

ExtraSlow
07-04-2009, 10:25 AM
Two things:
1) Monochrome means one colour, it doesn't mean those boring colours you are talking about. A bright yellow car is monochrome as long as it's only bright yellow. The word you were looking for is drab.
2) Those colours are easier to keep looking clean. Yeah, that's an old person thing to worry about, but honestly, I can't understand why anyone buys black or dark blue cars. They always look dirty.

funkedelic2
07-04-2009, 10:39 AM
I like to see a lot of different colors out there but a lot of people prefer to blend in then stand out. I am a fan of bright eye catching colors.

My old car :

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m248/j_junior/love4.jpg

Redlyne_mr2
07-04-2009, 11:09 AM
Imola red and blizzard peark, for a daily lighter colors are the easiest to keep clean.

Mibz
07-04-2009, 11:14 AM
My last car was yellow, my current car is black, my next car will be white.

Why? Because I think they look good.

Haha, j/k, yellow is ugly as fuck.

2EFNFAST
07-04-2009, 11:33 AM
I have no idea why people buy black - yes, when clean and properly detailed it looks incredible. However, 99% of people have no clue about detailing and their car looks like ass with swirl marks and RIDs all over the place.

A dark color is good for something you rarely drive, otherwise silver/white FTW :burnout:

DannyO
07-04-2009, 12:45 PM
I somewhat agree with the OP, but the reality is, most people really don't care and want something thats say "neutral", plus, on a lot of cars, bright colours would just look odd/out of place, I'm just happy you don't see chrome much on vehicles now.

As for myself, Blue car with Gold rims. :D

Mibz
07-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
I have no idea why people buy black - yes, when clean and properly detailed it looks incredible. However, 99% of people have no clue about detailing and their car looks like ass with swirl marks and RIDs all over the place.

A dark color is good for something you rarely drive, otherwise silver/white FTW :burnout: Yeah man, it was my dream to own a black car but now I hate it, it's a DD and winter car too so it just looks like trash :P

black13
07-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Well it comes down to what Vehicle Manufacturers offer. You got to any dealership and you'll see a sea of Black/silver/white.

Another thing would be that the generic 3 colors look good on any car no matter what it is.

While colors like red look terrible on almost 90% of the cars. Red only works on a handful of sports cars like Ferrari, MR2 and integra. Same with yellow.

And well done paint jobs cost way too much these days.

2EFNFAST
07-04-2009, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Yeah man, it was my dream to own a black car but now I hate it, it's a DD and winter car too so it just looks like trash :P

You just need to learn how to properly detail it (or pay me to do it for you :angel: )

my g35 is my winter beater - never gets washed from like october until april. lots of salt and shit, but a good polish does it wonders.

before cleaning it up in the spring
http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww89/efnfast/bf1.jpg

after
http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww89/efnfast/af1.jpg
http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww89/efnfast/g356.jpg

stevieo
07-05-2009, 01:45 PM
because black cars look really good?
im not a fan of red (and variants) and silver
but i'd take a blue, black, gunmetal, white, green and yellow car haha

ZorroAMG
07-05-2009, 09:25 PM
Pearl black, black, seal grey and meteorite grey FTW.

Colors are for the rainbow.....and parades. :D

Graham_A_M
07-05-2009, 09:36 PM
Every car I've ever owned has had interesting colors, either color changing paint, interesting shades of blue or whatever else... :dunno:
Not all vehicles on the road come with a decent variety of colors when new, and not too many owners want to drop $3-5k for a decent paintjob just to stand out.

cam_wmh
07-05-2009, 11:09 PM
what Zorro said:

+

Yellow own looks good on Italian cars, ending with the letter i.

Epic yellow fails, are trucks & sunfires.

S13_Ryan
07-05-2009, 11:14 PM
ill be painting my car this color when i can find someone to do it for me. i dont think its dull like everything else out on the road. but it definately doesnt stand out like a yellow or laguna seca blue would
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/mr_240sx/89%20nissan%20240sx/Dsc00653.jpg

nj2Type-S
07-05-2009, 11:18 PM
^i'm not a fan of red but that is gorgeous! :bigpimp:

2EFNFAST
07-05-2009, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by cam_wmh
what Zorro said:

+

Yellow own looks good on Italian cars, ending with the letter i.

Epic yellow fails, are trucks & sunfires.

corvetti? :confused:

scat19
07-06-2009, 08:42 AM
I have a green car. Green is pretty rare generally IMO, especially on BMW's.

I LOVE white cars. Can't go wrong.

Pacman
07-06-2009, 09:39 AM
I like the brighter, unique colors....but would never buy one as it's may be an issue when it comes time for re-sale.

Ferio_vti
07-06-2009, 01:44 PM
White is popular in hotter places like Cali. Nothing worse than sitting in a black car when it's 30+ under the sun.

ZorroAMG
07-06-2009, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

corvetti? :confused:

Eww, yellow corvettes are barf.

DannyO
07-06-2009, 02:49 PM
I have to say, I think the only car yellow actually works on and looks good is the S2000, all other yellow cars just don't pull it off as well, including exotics.

adam c
07-06-2009, 02:50 PM
My car is black, i like black, black is nice

My first car was black
My second car was silver, when i bought it i loved it, but that soon faded and i absolutely hated the color, one reason i wanted to get rid of it

adam c
07-06-2009, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by DannyO
I have to say, I think the only car yellow actually works on and looks good is the S2000, all other yellow cars just don't pull it off as well, including exotics.

you're forgetting the Type R

DannyO
07-06-2009, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by adam c

you're forgetting the Type R

I was actually going to disagree with you, but I think your right.

Has to be a Type-R though, regular Integras can't do it.

cam_wmh
07-07-2009, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Again I agree.

2EFNFAST
07-07-2009, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

:cry:

.civictyper.
07-09-2009, 09:46 AM
Morean Grun :thumbsup:

beyondpinoy
07-09-2009, 11:14 AM
ive owned nothing but black cars.. to me its such a sexy looking color...