Avenue Diner
105 8 Avenue SW, Calgary, AB T2P 1B4
Telephone : 403-263-2673

Ambiance: 4/5
Service: 2.5/5
Food: 5/5
Value: 4.5/5
Overall: 4/5

A friend of mine was in town and we decided to go out for brunch. A friend's GF recommended we try this place, and I'm really glad she did.

Ambiance
Today was wonderful and would have loved to sit on the patio, situated on Stephen Ave, unfortunately we were told we'd have to wait longer as this is what a few people in front of us had requested. The place has an open, fun environment, with a slightly retro feel of an old 60s diner. Everything looked very clean and well put together.

Service
Initially, it was great. Our server came over and asked what we wanted to drink, and promptly returned with them. We weren't quite ready to order, and asked for a few more minutes. About 15 minutes rolls by and she comes to take our orders. From that point to when we got our food, it was almost 45 minutes; at a place serving primarily breakfast I thought that this was ridiculous. Our server was very kind though. When we went up front to pay the bill, we were waiting for awhile as well. I honestly feel that are understaffed, in the kitchen and waitresses. It's not like they were lazy, it was go-go-go for them all from what I could see. From the time we got there to the time we left, the place was absolutely jammed.

Food
Food definitely made up for the service. Water came with a nice slice of lemon and a cranberry. Orange juice was actually fresh squeezed; you can just tell by the taste. Friend had a milkshake and said it was delicious. I ordered eggs benny but it was a little bit of twist, which had a citrus/basil based hollandaise. You could tell they focus on the quality of food here, everything tasted freshly prepared with quality ingredients. Presentation was cute with the fruit too. Friend said the stuffed french toast was fantastic (I think it had apples stuffed in it).

Value
Here, I think it's pretty good. I came out of there not overly full like a buffet but comfortable. My eggs were ~15.00 bucks I think with $3.00 OJ and their french toast was about the same, the shake was $6.00 (worth it all from what they said!). If you're looking to gorge for brunch, this place isn't it or you could rack up quite the bill. Food quality vs. cost, I think it balances very nicely.

Overall
This small place gets a thumbs up from me. Despite it taking what felt like forever for our food to arrive, it was quickly forgotten when we started eating. This would be a great place to take the wife or GF sunday morning, and later take a small stroll on Stephen Ave. If they got more staff, I wouldn't hesitate to give this place a perfect score for having brunch.

brian_tr
07-06-2009, 02:14 PM
GF loves this place. We've been there a few times now.
I've noticed a lengthy wait each time as well but it does seem like there's only a few waitresses running around and a few chefs in the kitchen. To their credit, everybody is incredibly friendly which does help somewhat. The food has always been great so the wait is worthwhile.
Great review