PDA

View Full Version : How to get new ip address from shaw without resetting cable modem?

jmc
07-05-2009, 09:43 PM
Anyway to get a new ip address from Shaw, without requiring a reset of the cable modem (Motorola Surfboard SB5102)?
Thanks

mazdavirgin
07-05-2009, 09:53 PM
Change your mac address and then refresh/renew the IP lease.

adam c
07-06-2009, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin

if he's asking this question, do you really think he will know how to change his mac address?

anyways back to the question.
if you are plugged directly into the modem (no router)
Windows XP: Start -> Run -> CMD -> OK -> ipconfig /release (hit enter) then ipconfig /renew (hit enter)
Vista: Start -> CMD (In search box) -> Right click -> Run as Administrator -> ipconfig /release (hit enter) -> ipconfig /renew (hit enter)

If you are plugged into a router, log into your router and look for an advanced tab and release/renew your ip from there

Enhance
07-06-2009, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin

This.
Works for megavideo too :)

Grogador
07-06-2009, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by adam c
anyways back to the question.
if you are plugged directly into the modem (no router)
Windows XP: Start -> Run -> CMD -> OK -> ipconfig /release (hit enter) then ipconfig /renew (hit enter)
Vista: Start -> CMD (In search box) -> Right click -> Run as Administrator -> ipconfig /release (hit enter) -> ipconfig /renew (hit enter)

If you are plugged into a router, log into your router and look for an advanced tab and release/renew your ip from there

...none of which will work, since the cablemodem caches your MAC address and Shaw will just give you back the same IP lease. Routers are typically easy, just change the MAC on your WAN interface. Otherwise Google for "change mac address" for your OS.

mazdavirgin
07-06-2009, 12:50 AM
:dunno: I posted the solution. I didn't know I was expected to provide a step by step tutorial...

BlackArcher101
07-06-2009, 01:49 AM
Indeed, best way to do it is by cloning a mac address in a router and just change a digit or two whenever you want to change your IP.

jmc
07-06-2009, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the responses.

What I encounter is: with the older model cable modem, I used to do as described to get new ip. But with this new Motorola Surfboard SB5102 (after cycling the 2 available ip); in addition to doing new MAC with release/renew, etc. I also have to reset the cable modem in order to get a different new ip now…

For example, those using a Motorola Surfboard SB5102, do what's been suggested above (at least three times with 3 different MAC and note your IP each time); checking to see if you get any problems each time.... [I encounter problem after cycling the two ip available]

Alterac
07-06-2009, 08:41 PM
Here is my question, Why do you need to get a new ip?

I hate when mine changes.

Nissan_Fanboy
07-06-2009, 08:55 PM
Can't you just set a static IP ?

jmc
07-07-2009, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Alterac
Here is my question, Why do you need to get a new ip?
I hate when mine changes. For example, some Battle.net games can give IP restriction of many hours, even if you play legitimately… (this is well documented on their site.
E.g. including but not limited to: Scrolling through skill selection using the mouse wheel, etc. [as pointed out by Alterac link below, which I am sure is not against TOS.])

Originally posted by Nissan_Fanboy
Can't you just set a static IP ? That never crossed my mind. It will take some guess work, as it's hit and miss each try; but this might just work... Thanks for the idea.

Alterac
07-14-2009, 07:21 PM
Actually they dont, but if you decide to go against the TOS then you bring it upon yourself.

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=10972137363

Why in the world would blizzard restrict your playtime?

Thats like giving shit away for free that you just paid billions of dollars for.

Anywho, your obvisouly doing something shifty, and i hope the advice in this thread helped your problem.