PDA

View Full Version : Is Replacing a Dishwasher Fairly Easy?

jonnycat
07-07-2009, 02:44 PM
My new one arrived today and I'm thinking it should be fairly simple. Other than one electrical connection, the drain, leveling and mounting, what else could there be?

whiskas
07-07-2009, 03:14 PM
That's about it, the hardest thing was getting its boxy ass up the stairs into the laundry room.

Kloubek
07-07-2009, 03:16 PM
I replaced mine. My major problem is that with the slate tiles I installed, there was not enough clearance to get it out! After a while I was able to muscle it out though...

Setup was simple. Just left it half installed for the first load to ensure there were no leaks, then tightened everything up.

I should also mention that my dishwasher was the 1991 original, and the one I bought was a 3 year old used unit. They were 100% compatible.

Oh... and make sure you use teflon tape for the threads!

chathamf
07-07-2009, 03:16 PM
Yea, there is nothing to it. Use to install appliances for a while a couple years ago. Dude hired me to do it without a bit of experience, showed me how to install one dishwasher and sent me on my way.

Anyone that is even a little bit handy should have no problem with it. Cut the power to it, you can get a pretty good shock.

colinxx235
07-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by whiskas
That's about it, the hardest thing was getting its boxy ass up the stairs into the laundry room.

Why does one put a dishwasher in the laundry room...?

nismodrifter
07-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by colinxx235

Why does one put a dishwasher in the laundry room...?

Me guess he talking about carrying it from his garage to laundry room.....and then taking it to de kitchen.

jonnycat
07-07-2009, 03:34 PM
Thanks, I'll let you know how it goes.

whiskas
07-07-2009, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

Me guess he talking about carrying it from his garage to laundry room.....and then taking it to de kitchen.

Hahaha no that's not what I meant. I just had a brain fart and thought he was talking about a washing machine, which isn't really that much different.

brian_tr
07-07-2009, 03:36 PM
fairly easy.
helped my dad do it a few months back. it did get kind of messy since the pump responsible for draining broke so there was a bunch of old water inside.
it sounds like you've already got everything covered though

hampstor
07-07-2009, 05:32 PM
fairly easy - not sure if it's needed but when I did mine, i put some teflon tape on the fitting.

2.0turbo
07-07-2009, 06:40 PM
Its hardwired so as long as you hook it up right, its simple.

Just make sure the drain pipe goes up to the top of the dishwasher and then out so it has to push the water out of the drain against gravity when it drains. Read the installations instructions....

masoncgy
07-08-2009, 09:43 AM
The only recommendation I would have, if applicable in your case, is to replace the hot water line if it is a piece of copper pipe as the fittings wear over time and sometimes adjusting/moving these pipes cause them to develop small leaks at the fittings...

You can get a steel braided hose as a direct replacement from Home Depot... inexpensive and extremely durable... and you'll have many years of leak-free dishwashing... ;)