PDA

View Full Version : Advice on replacing a front fender

remlap13
07-07-2009, 08:00 PM
Hi there,

My car is a 1996 Mazda 626.

I was wondering if anyone could let me know how difficult it would be to replace my driver's side front fender myself? There is some damage to it, and I can get a replacement from a junkyard for relatively cheap.

I found a repair manual online that gives me step-by-step instructions, with diagrams, but I was just wondering if it is even viable for me to do by myself or with a friend or something. Should I leave this one to the professionals? I'm not too concerned about whether it's done "perfectly". If I can save $600-1000 by doing it myself I'm all for it.

Thanks a bunch!

AE92_TreunoSC
07-07-2009, 08:02 PM
Pretty easy, I changed fenders on 90's vehicles long before I became an Auto tech.

Big thing is finding the hidden bolts, like the ones where you have to have the door half open.

Just jack the vehicle up safely, remove the wheel, and remove the inner fender guard and asses the work.

remlap13
07-07-2009, 08:23 PM
Oh ok so it would involve me taking the wheel off then? Looking at the diagrams and stuff it didn't mention anything about that.

Kloubek
07-07-2009, 08:31 PM
Probably not. Just for ease of access, and ensuring you see/get all bolts.

remlap13
07-07-2009, 08:48 PM
Another question. Do you think it would take more than a day of labour? Like say, start on it Sunday morning, have it done by Sunday night? Or should it be more of a 2-day thing?

Also, do you recommend buying new bolts, clips, etc from somewhere rather than just using the ones that come with the junkyard fender? And if so, where could I get something like that? The dealer maybe?

Thank you guys so much. It really is appreciated.

5000Audi
07-07-2009, 09:23 PM
i pmed ya, i can help out for free if you live close..

Kloubek
07-07-2009, 09:33 PM
The actual fender replacement should only take you an hour; two tops. Then, of course, paint. It is the drying time with the paint that will take you the longest and will likely spread it out over two days...

remlap13
07-07-2009, 10:04 PM
Would I need to paint it though if I just pulled one from a junkyard that was the same color?

5000Audi
07-07-2009, 10:13 PM
nope..^^ unless the paint on iether car/fender is faded more then the other.. but you can get paint mixed in a spray can you can do yourelf.. pretty easy

remlap13
07-09-2009, 07:33 PM
One more question for you guys.. What tools would I need for something like this? I have access to a wide variety (friend's dad has re-done 2 Camaro's in his garage), but I was just curious what I would need.

topmade
07-09-2009, 07:54 PM
You don't need anything special. A flat head screwdriver to remove the bolts from inside the wheel well and a ratchet with an extension and some standard sized sockets to get the others. Make sure to put a towel or rag on the tight bolt areas to avoid scratching the paint.

remlap13
07-30-2009, 10:52 PM
OK so I'm finally ready to possibly start on this. Got some spare time this weekend. Got the replacement fender. Now the only problem is the fact that the service diagram is ridiculously scary looking.

It requires me to take off the bumper first which involves the rad grill, turn lights, etc. I'm afraid that I'm going to screw something up and not be able to put it back together.

Is the actual job much easier than the diagram represents?

EuroB
07-31-2009, 12:05 AM
Yes for sure, I have replaced over 20 fenders probably in the last year, mainly on honda's, acura's and nissans but its all pretty much the same and they all took about 30 mins to an hour.

I never had to take out a light bumper or grill and I doubt you will but dont take my word for it.

5000Audi
07-31-2009, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by EuroB
Yes for sure, I have replaced over 20 fenders probably in the last year, mainly on honda's, acura's and nissans but its all pretty much the same and they all took about 30 mins to an hour.

I never had to take out a light bumper or grill and I doubt you will but dont take my word for it.

ive had to remove a bumper cover and a door once doing fenders.. sometime it can be a bit of a bitch depends on the car..but like i said before OP i could always lend a helping hand

remlap13
07-31-2009, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by EuroB

Ya I didn't think so either. It looked to me like just lifting the hood up, maybe taking off the wheel and the mud flap thingy.

And ya Audi, I PM'd ya. Let's talk.

remlap13
08-01-2009, 08:30 PM
Hey I just wanted to say thank you SO much to Audi for his help today. Pleasure to stop by his place for some much needed body repair. If there was a way to give him a +1 to his lifetime rep I would. Total class act.

Thank you again. :D

topmade
08-01-2009, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by remlap13
If there was a way to give him a +1 to his lifetime rep I would. Total class act.

Thank you again. :D
There is a way, just look for one of his posts and press "Profile", then fill in the empty boxes and press "Go"