D'z Nutz
07-07-2009, 08:22 PM
Give em if you got em.

89coupe
07-07-2009, 08:23 PM
Macro

BlackArcher101
07-07-2009, 08:26 PM
Snow (that should keep it interesting, haha)

theken
07-07-2009, 08:26 PM
stampede

dr_jared88
07-07-2009, 08:43 PM
beach

djayz
07-07-2009, 08:51 PM
sky/clouds, considering we keep getting storms rolling in and out this would be nice if hasn't been done already.

5000Audi
07-07-2009, 08:52 PM
Smoke/steam

that would be a interesting one..

BlackArcher101
07-07-2009, 09:39 PM
Yes, sky/clouds would be great! :D

minui
07-07-2009, 10:43 PM
RED

D'z Nutz
07-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Vote!

Originally posted by theken
stampede

Not a bad suggestion, but since the stampede is almost over, that doesn't give people much of a chance to go out and get photos by the time the voting is done. I'll expand it to include "Western" so we're not bounded by time constraints.

flipstah
07-08-2009, 02:01 PM
Smoke FTW!

cityhunter2501
07-08-2009, 03:16 PM
western or sky seems good...but im more intrigued to see some smoke/steam pictures

89coupe
07-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Sky/Clouds would be great!

Mmmm pano.:rofl:

Bandwagon:confused: :rofl:

BlackArcher101
07-17-2009, 02:05 AM
Question, are HDR pics allowed in the monthly contests?

clem24
07-17-2009, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101
Question, are HDR pics allowed in the monthly contests?

Read the rules dude:

No dramatic alterations on your photo. Colors, contrast, B&W conversions, removing a powerline from the sky, ect. are okay. Please don't add objects to your photos or put them through a filter that makes them look like it's printed on stone or canvas or made out of a neon sign or anything like that. No boarders, watermarks, URL's, ect that could be used to identify your photo as yours. Use your discretion.

BlackArcher101
07-17-2009, 06:22 PM
Yes, I already did dude, but it's not clear. It's doesn't say yes or no... and I'm not sure if a HDR image is a major alteration in some people's eyes (it could be).

clem24
07-17-2009, 11:17 PM
Well I thought this was pretty clear:

Colors, contrast, B&W conversions, removing a powerline from the sky, ect. are okay

So I am going to have to say HDR is not allowed. It is very much a MAJOR modification. By simple, something like moving a slider over. Modifications that takes minutes, not hours.

In any case, keep in mind this is beyond... If you submitted an HDR photo, even if it passes, I am willing to bet you'll get no votes.

D'z Nutz
07-19-2009, 11:01 PM
Tough call. Some people might think of this as a major alteration while others may not. Since the monthly photo themes are meant for fun, to get people to go out and shoot, and maybe to learn a little something new about photography in the process, I suppose there's no reason why you can't. However, with that said, more emphasis should be put on subject, composition, creativity, etc... and not photoshop/post processing skills. A shitty picture in HDR is still a shitty picture.

I'd say use it at your discretion.

BlackArcher101
07-20-2009, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by clem24
Well I thought this was pretty clear:

Colors, contrast, B&W conversions, removing a powerline from the sky, ect. are okay

So I am going to have to say HDR is not allowed. It is very much a MAJOR modification. By simple, something like moving a slider over. Modifications that takes minutes, not hours.

In any case, keep in mind this is beyond... If you submitted an HDR photo, even if it passes, I am willing to bet you'll get no votes.

Oh please, how is that clear? A HDR photo is exactly that IMO... a color/contrast edit which are approved... I think the wording intent was as to not allow any major editing of the actual contents of the picture (ie removing a building, put a gradient in for a sky). HDR keeps the picture intact.

Why would it receive no votes? Is there not some situations where you would see the merit of HDR? These aren't the overblown highlights type of photos that you see commonly posted.

Failing that, I can see people on Beyond not voting for my HDR image now... I guess in some opinions it doesn't take as much skill, like 89coupes panos. My camera can't expose the white clouds and keep the detail in them while at the same time making the landscape nearly completely dark. I guess if I had a ND gradient filter I could do it, but alas I don't have one. I'd love to hear some advice on how I could do that with no filters and no major post processing.

And I realize a shitty picture is still shitty in HDR... but with that comment, there should be no resolve with using HDR properly in an image to bring out some areas. The composition/subject is still the same irregardless. I just think HDR get's a bad rap from the old school photographers, just as digital did from some of the film guys.

clem24
07-20-2009, 07:42 AM
Well I guess this is exactly why there's so much controversy as to why/why not HDR is considered a major alteration. I consider piling on layers major, vs. adjusting a slider. Well I guess D'z has the final word.

Also, there's a reason why HDR gets a bad rap. 99.7% of people doing HDR misuse/overuse it. I am by no means an old school photographer/film photographer. I only started getting into this when digital was starting to go mainstream. Anyway, good luck!

soupey
07-20-2009, 08:07 AM
then there are people like me who, for one reason or another, cant wrap their head around how to get HDR working, every attempt has failed miserably, ill stick to my shadows and highlights.

89coupe
07-20-2009, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by clem24
Well I guess this is exactly why there's so much controversy as to why/why not HDR is considered a major alteration. I consider piling on layers major, vs. adjusting a slider. Well I guess D'z has the final word.

Also, there's a reason why HDR gets a bad rap. 99.7% of people doing HDR misuse/overuse it. I am by no means an old school photographer/film photographer. I only started getting into this when digital was starting to go mainstream. Anyway, good luck!

Its not if its done right, you are still capturing real information with your camera at three or more different levels of exposure and combining them, its not fabricated information, its real. The software just allows you to combine this information to create one image. I would vote for an HDR image if it was posted. I think it takes way more effort and time creating a good HDR photo then it does a one shot snap IMO.

Ben
07-20-2009, 11:49 AM
At the end of the day this is photography, not digital art. It would be good if everyone could keep to the constraints, it keeps things a little more level on the playing field, and like D'z Nuts said, it gets people shooting. Go out and capture the moment using proper camera settings, not an hour and a half behind a computer monitor. The world is being post processed to hell.

89coupe
07-20-2009, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Ben
At the end of the day this is photography, not digital art. It would be good if everyone could keep to the constraints, it keeps things a little more level on the playing field, and like D'z Nuts said, it gets people shooting. Go out and capture the moment using proper camera settings, not an hour and a half behind a computer monitor. The world is being post processed to hell.

An HDR image is photography, and 99% of us today are using digital cameras. LOL, what a stupid statement, digital art...LOL

We have the technology, so why not use it?

Just because some of you are too lazy to learn, doesn't mean you should be holding back others who want to use it.

What a lame copout.

spikerS
07-20-2009, 12:26 PM
I have a photo I would like to submit, but to be honest, have no clue on how to resize it to 800 pixels, or what an exif thing is. Can i send the photo to someone that can help me out?

89coupe
07-20-2009, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by spikers
I have a photo I would like to submit, but to be honest, have no clue on how to resize it to 800 pixels, or what an exif thing is. Can i send the photo to someone that can help me out?

email the original file and I can resize it for you with the exif info intacted if its there from the original file.

[email protected]

spikerS
07-20-2009, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe

email the original file and I can resize it for you with the exif info intacted if its there from the original file.

[email protected]

thanks, it has been emailed to you.

msommers
07-20-2009, 03:24 PM
If people want to turn out HDR pics, let them. Depending on how you look at it, a ton turn out like shit anyways so I don't understand what the problem is.

I wish I had noticed this theme sooner, the giant storm that brewed to the north of us in literally 30 minutes would have been a great capture!

EDIT: just an FYI spiker, an easy way to resize if you have photoshop, is to go to the Image..or Edit menu (I forget which one, I'm at work :(), then Image Size. Here you can pick the size based on pixels or physical size. Or you can get photobucket or whatever to do it for you in the upload options, although I think image quality is better when done in photoshop.

spikerS
07-20-2009, 03:57 PM
I don't have photoshop, I wish i did tho and a little knowledge. Mine is going to look like crap compared to what I have seen you guys are able to do in photoshop. All I got is the picture editor in Vista that will "auto fix".

BlackArcher101
07-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Ben

All the things that you mentioned people should do are also done in order to get a HDR photo. It's just that there are extra steps. How in the hell can you call it digital art, not photography, when all the photography steps are also included in this "digital art".

Here's one I did that isn't good enough for the contest (poorly done HDR), but just going to use as an example.

Here is the photo I would get if I wanted the detail in the valley.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2662/3739982927_8932b8473b.jpg?v=0

Here is the HDR. (I realize the highlights are overblown)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2611/3727497923_acc46789d3.jpg?v=0

In this sitation with a dark foreground, distant bright valley, I'm not sure how I could have best accomplished it. Tips? (I should probably start a new thread for that). I'm open to crtique, tips and suggestions, but they seem to be hard to get around here.

Now, the type of HDR I'm thinking of is subtle, and not even noticeable as an HDR photo (doesn't have the blown highlights and "aura" around objects).

The_Rural_Juror
07-20-2009, 05:10 PM
Hey Spikers. There's a FastStone photo resizer that's free to download and use. You should get that.

Ben
07-20-2009, 06:08 PM

An HDR image is photography, and 99% of us today are using digital cameras. LOL, what a stupid statement, digital art...LOL

Just because some of you are too lazy to learn, doesn't mean you should be holding back others who want to use it.

What a lame copout.

Settle down there champ, I wasn't commenting on your post specifically. Just making a response which backs up the constraints of the rules set in place by myself and fellow admin on the site. I have no problems with you or your photos.

Cop Out? Lazy? Hardly, I've been in the photo business long enough to know a thing or two about post production and it's hardly being lazy. I'm just simply stating in a non hater tone, that the large amount of alteration that goes into some of these photos really does not reflect what the subject looked like anymore. There are some great HDR images, absolutely, but some are just over the top, and those are what I'm commenting about. The photos that BlackArcher posted are very nice, yet he too is obviously insulted by what I had to say as well. Talk about a touchy subject.

When I say Digital Art, I am referring to taking a photograph, and over post processing the heck out of it to make it really something it wasn't. Completely different sky colors, shadows, and light sources not originally there made evident through layers and CGI filters. These are often apparent in HDR images, and often takes away from things you would originally judge a photo on.

I may be a little old fashioned but I do like to try and get the best possible photo I can without relying on post production (and many people who used the HDR technique do the same). What myself and others are saying is we're trying to encourage people to truly learn how to use their cameras to the best of their abilities rather than relying on their Mac or PC afterwards. Post Production is a very important step, however its nice to see photos in the contests that have both the "Wow, the colors and lighting are amazing" as well as "I love the composition, angle, depth of field etc etc etc. I really see what the Photographer was trying to capture here."

Alas, I digress. It's a hobby, and an art form, and people are entitled to present their work in any medium, and arrangement they like. I am by no means the law on "Photography". The contest should represent a well rounded photo, not a mediocre one saved by a lot of post production.

That's all I'm getting at.

Gibson
07-21-2009, 02:50 AM

What a lame copout.

I have a question;

shut up.

On a slightly different note, I'll actually agree that HDR photos should be allowed. Not because I'm going to submit one, but because like clem said, if it's over processed to hell, it's not going to get any votes in the first place. And anyway, if it's done in the right way, some people probably couldn't even tell it was HDR.

89coupe
07-21-2009, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Gibson

I have a question;

shut up.

So whats your question? Lippy little punk.

msommers
07-21-2009, 09:26 AM
lol since when did the photog corner get filled with so much estrogen

Trini
07-21-2009, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by msommers
lol since when did the photog corner get filled with so much estrogen

:werd:
disappointing

Gibson
07-21-2009, 02:19 PM

So whats your question? Lippy little punk.

I guess I don't have a question. Probably should have thought that one through, eh? I'm sorry I told you to shut up, but seriously, would it hurt once in a while to just keep to yourself?

But I digress. Apologies again.

BlackArcher101
07-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Ben
I'm just simply stating in a non hater tone, that the large amount of alteration that goes into some of these photos really does not reflect what the subject looked like anymore. There are some great HDR images, absolutely, but some are just over the top, and those are what I'm commenting about. The photos that BlackArcher posted are very nice, yet he too is obviously insulted by what I had to say as well. Talk about a touchy subject.

Exactly right... most HDR photos do not represent what the original scene looked like in the first place. Even the one I posted doesn't. However, in my examples, the HDR looks closer to to what my eyes viewed that day than the dark foreground and blownout sky photo. Just using it as an example that HDR CAN be a benefit. In that certain case, I'd either have to go back there in the morning and hope the clouds are the same in order to get a properly exposed photo. Otherwise I'm at a loss as to how to do it, and I'd love to learn how, but no one has really offered any tips. I'm obviously not insulted as my experience on properly shooting a scene with limited equipment is still very small compared to others.

Originally posted by Ben I may be a little old fashioned but I do like to try and get the best possible photo I can without relying on post production (and many people who used the HDR technique do the same). What myself and others are saying is we're trying to encourage people to truly learn how to use their cameras to the best of their abilities rather than relying on their Mac or PC afterwards. [/B]

Exactly right. Couldn't agree more.

Originally posted by Gibson
On a slightly different note, I'll actually agree that HDR photos should be allowed. Not because I'm going to submit one, but because like clem said, if it's over processed to hell, it's not going to get any votes in the first place. And anyway, if it's done in the right way, some people probably couldn't even tell it was HDR.

Another good point. If done properly, an HDR can slip in and go unnoticed, perhaps even receive votes. Doing one incorrectly (which is very easy) won't recieve a single vote from the photographers. Believe it or not, HDR's actually do take some learning and trials to get right.

Good input, but I wasn't personally happy with the HDR I was hoping to submit anyways, but was just curious on it. I'll have to learn a few things about levels to get my other photos to look a bit better.

D'z Nutz
07-28-2009, 09:17 AM
Bump.

Just a reminder to get those entries in by Friday :)