PDA

View Full Version : Flying one-way into US

invisibleman
07-08-2009, 04:18 PM
Has anyone here flown on a one-way ticket to the US? Was there any problems at the port of entry? I was planning to fly to Miami for 2 weeks but it might turn out that I'll need to stay there a few days to a week more than planned. From past experiences it costs way too much to change the date on a return flight so I would rather just book a one-way there then book a one-way return back. I'm just worried that I'll get hassled that I don't have a return flight to Canada.... has this ever been a problem for anyone?

JAYMEZ
07-08-2009, 04:27 PM
Its a 50/50 , I have done it a few times , but I told them I was buying a car and bringing it up.. They really don't want people to just fly into the US and stay.. Perhaps buy a round trip and cancellation insurance , and just change your flight home when you are in the US.

People get denied all the time at the Calgary Airport.

w_man
07-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Hmm .. I have never had any issues. I understand that they don't normally always even look up your return ticket ... I have always been asked how long I'm going for and I tell them a range ... I always small talk a little so they understand what I'm going for ... I'll throw in something like ... well I only have 2 weeks vacation so if I'm enjoying myself it'll be 2 weeks otherwise I'll be back sooner.

93accord
07-08-2009, 04:40 PM
I wouldnt risk it at the airport, when I crossing the border in Ontario they were very suspicious since I came to Toronto on a one way flight. But once they opened my laptop, my return itenerary was there and the dude let me go right away.

rage2
07-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Uhh, when you go thru customs, you only have a single boarding pass (no itinerary). How the hell do they know if you've got a return ticket or not?

w_man
07-08-2009, 04:52 PM
^^ exactly :dunno:

I didn't know they had flight schedules with your returned booked flight on their system?!!?

jdmakkord
07-08-2009, 05:00 PM
Find a travel agent that will book a one way flight down and a "GK" or "ghost" booking for the return. It will show as a regular round trip itinerary if they ask for it.

Hash_man
07-08-2009, 05:05 PM
Never got asked about mine when I went to Texas in May... Just bought the one way ticket because I was driving back and customs and such didn't have any issue with it.

soupey
07-08-2009, 05:12 PM
they usually ask you how long you plan on stayign in the country and what reason you're there for...

Team_Mclaren
07-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Uhh, when you go thru customs, you only have a single boarding pass (no itinerary). How the hell do they know if you've got a return ticket or not?

THIS.

I have never been stopped for flying one way. Its like driving down, how the hell would they know how long you're gonna stay? If they ask, just tell them some number like 2 weeks, or you are coming back with a friend through ground blah blah blah, making something up.

nismodrifter
07-08-2009, 06:25 PM
I have been asked to produce an itinerary 3 or 4 times in Calgary. Always by the same asshole.

I never used to carry the paper-print out of my trip details as I had it saved on my laptop in-case of emergency. Enough papers in my bag already.

My typical trips used to involve leaving Calgary at say noon, travel to a connection city in the states, stay overnight, and then continue onwards to my final destination in the morning after re-checking in.

First time it happened: I get to the desk, he asks me random questions, then he says "how do I know that you are just passing through the states and are only spending the night in the USA? You're telling me you are leaving to XXXXX country but I need to see some proof of that, do you have an itinerary to show me?". I said I don't have a printed itinerary, it's on my PC. He sends me back to the airline desk to get an itinerary printout.

I wait in line again, when my turn comes I head to some other dood in the stall next to him, he lets me through without any questions asked.

On future visits, every single time I've had this one fellow @ Calgary pre-clearance I make sure I have the itinerary ready because without fail he has asked for it everytime.

So yes, they CAN and HAVE asked for proof of return/proof you are actually staying for the time you say you are. And yes, I've seen ppl turned away because they try and lie. I guess you could say that you are returning via ground but who knows how that will work. As Jaymez said, its 50/50. They do NOT want you just coming in and staying as long as you want. They know ppl abuse the system and if they think you are lying they will tell you to GTFO.

UndrgroundRider
07-08-2009, 06:53 PM
You could be hassled and possibly denied entry. In my opinion the best way to do this is to book a return trip for the soonest day you might return, and then extend the trip should you need to. If you fly United, the charge for the ticket change is usually $100.

As Jaymez said, you could also claim to be picking up a car. Just be prepared to think quick on your feet when answering follow-up questions, and cry loudly if they ask for the phone number of the person who is selling the car.

rage2
07-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
I have been asked to produce an itinerary 3 or 4 times in Calgary. Always by the same asshole.
That's because you're brown, and brown people look like terrorists! :rofl:

Seriously, never had a problem. I rarely book return flights except for short trips under a week.

w_man
07-09-2009, 09:52 AM

Seriously, never had a problem. I rarely book return flights except for short trips under a week.

lol .. i'm also brown and *knock on wood* I have never had any issues. Like I said before ... I have nothing to hide so I always make some small talk ...

eg: recently we were crossing the border (by car) and the border agent started asking questions .. I started explaining why I'm going to Seattle and that I have a couple of food tours booked already ... even asked him if he has any other tours suggestions in Seattle or not ...

I dont think its really about your return TICKET .. its more or less how comfortable they feel you will/are returning ... As long as you up front with them and have nothing to hide ... it should be ok.

dannie
07-09-2009, 10:07 AM
I travel a few times a month. I have never been asked to produce a return ticket. I skip the customs line, go thru the nexus machine, hand the guy my paperwork and head off. Every now and then they will ask where I am going and why, but rarely has it been more than that. That being said, I am not away for more than a few days, so my travel habits are very habitual. Perhaps that is why they never ask?

I do though, always have a scanned copy of my passport, nexus card, itinerary, car confirmations etc on the mini card in my phone. So, if I were ever to be asked, I can provide proof.

93accord
07-09-2009, 10:15 AM

That's because you're brown, and brown people look like terrorists!

Seriously, never had a problem. I rarely book return flights except for short trips under a week

I'm brown :bigpimp:

nismodrifter
07-09-2009, 01:28 PM

The dood who always asks for the itinerary is a visible-minority himself (hispanic/mexican). What a bastard. You'd think he'd let a brotha through.

:rofl:

HRD2PLZ
07-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Quite often when my parents fly down, they fly one way because they aren't on a schedule and aren't sure when they'll want or need to be back in Calgary. They've never had any issues.

Masked Bandit
07-09-2009, 02:16 PM

The dood who always asks for the itinerary is a visible-minority himself (hispanic/mexican). What a bastard. You'd think he'd let a brotha through.

Maybe he's just pissed at getting hassled all the time so he figures he might as well make someone else's life rough?

Or maybe he's just a dick?

jazzyb
07-09-2009, 02:36 PM
yo rage2,

your soo cool, when you go on vacation you don't even know how long.

I love you

cosmo
07-16-2009, 07:34 AM
I've done the opposite.. fly back from the states on a one-way... But I guess the americans like it when the foreigners to leave their country. :rofl:

Weapon_R
07-16-2009, 08:01 AM
Although its already been said, I fly back and forth at least 5 times a year to the U.S. and they have never asked for a return itinerary. Most companies don't even issue an itinerary anymore as it's all based on web/in person checkin.

seadog
07-30-2009, 06:54 PM
Been to the states many times, only time I've ever been hasseled was on a one way with no onward ticket.

Had friends in Orlando, found a $19 flight from Halifax, booked it 18 hours in advance with the intention of meeting up and driving to LA in rental cars over 4 weeks, and spending that day in Tampa at Busche Gardens. Beyond that I had no plans.

So arrived at 5am after not sleeping, they asked where I was going and when I was going to return, which I answered in the vaugest of terms, as honestly it was a very spontaneous trip.

Oh and I didn't have a job. I was in the post grad bumming around phase, but I still had a bunch of money from scholarships/co-op work.

Anyways they sent me to the 'secondary inspection room' where I was hassled for 20 minutes. The same questions over and over again, asked me if I had proof of funds, no, how many bags I had, 1, went over in legalese exactly what I was and wasn't allowed to do on a tourist visa, but then eventually letme through.

I was really shocked at the whole thing, and perhaps it was my ignorance because it had never been more than 30 seconds of questions at any other time, so I expected the same that time.

FiveFreshFish
07-30-2009, 08:31 PM
You can be asked for an itinerary showing a return or ongoing flight upon your arrival at the destination country.

invisibleman
08-01-2009, 10:31 PM
Didn't think this thread would get so many responses! well I flew into Miami a few days ago without any hassle flying on a one way ticket. Was never asked for itinerary or anything.

CUG
08-02-2009, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by invisibleman
Didn't think this thread would get so many responses! well I flew into Miami a few days ago without any hassle flying on a one way ticket. Was never asked for itinerary or anything. you were fortunate. When I did that, I booked a two way and cancelled the last leg... paid a $50 fee just so I could have a story. I ended up driving back with a friend.

projekz
08-02-2009, 05:06 PM

What a bastard. You'd think he'd let a brotha through.

He did back on September 11th 2001 :rofl: :rofl: