PDA

View Full Version : Whats a good starting Credit card

reborn_euro
07-09-2009, 09:40 AM
Hey guys, so I have been working for 2years now, solid job. Have paid off my student loans a few months ago. Here's the question, I have always stayed away from credit cards because I wanted to put my money into finishing my loans and debts and such. Always used moms or older brothers cards when I needed something and then just payed them back. However I think its about time I start building my credit score up and frankly, I just kinda want to have my own card, seeing as my job moves me around, I sometimes have to put things on other peoples cards if the company hasn't provided there's at that location. In short ( sorry about rambling) what would be a good credit card to start with. Thanks for any and all advice you all can provide.

jjmac
07-09-2009, 09:53 AM
Either a low-interest credit card, like a TD Emerald Visa or Green Visa

Or go for a Credit Card that offers points or rebates, TD Rebate Visa.

I've only had those cards so I might sound a bit one sided.

ExtraSlow
07-09-2009, 10:02 AM
Sounds like you use it pretty rarely, so you want to make sure that you get a low-fee card. Since you don't use it much, the rewards cards that charge a fee aren't going to be worth your money.

Probably easiest to get it from whereever you bank at currently. Every major canadian bank offers a variety of cards.

realazy
07-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Most banks have cheqing accounts that with a certain minimum balance will waive the fee of their credit cards.

For example, if you can open a TD select account, with $5000 balance you get the account fee waived as well as their top of the line Visa's annual fee waived. You also get unlimited debit card transactions, free cheque book, bank drafts, etc.

I'm sure all banks will have some sort of offer like this.

eblend
07-09-2009, 10:40 AM
BMO gives cards to pretty much anybody, as does MBNA

benz_890
07-09-2009, 11:03 AM
RBC Visa Classic

beyondpinoy
07-09-2009, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by realazy
Most banks have cheqing accounts that with a certain minimum balance will waive the fee of their credit cards.

For example, if you can open a TD select account, with $5000 balance you get the account fee waived as well as their top of the line Visa's annual fee waived. You also get unlimited debit card transactions, free cheque book, bank drafts, etc.

I'm sure all banks will have some sort of offer like this.

BMO has the same thing, but the amount is less.. they offered me minimum $2000..

Destinova403
07-09-2009, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by benz_890
RBC Visa Classic

+1 they wont charge you any fees and i think you get some reward points on this one as well...

sputnik
07-09-2009, 11:30 AM
Stay FAR away from MBNA.

Once you have one of their cars they will spam you for life.

Strider
07-09-2009, 01:55 PM
President's choice mastercard.
- No fee
- 1% cash back (in the form of superstore credit)
- Extended warranty on your purchases

Buffalo Soldier
07-09-2009, 02:31 PM
or if you plan on building your credit and throwing lots o shit on your card and paying it off. get one with low interest. CIBC Select visa $30 fee annually and only 11.5% interest. This is what I got as i tend to rack up a nice balance.

szw
07-09-2009, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
Stay FAR away from MBNA.

Once you have one of their cars they will spam you for life.
MBNA was my first card years ago and I never got spammed after that. I recently signed up for a new MBNA card as well.

reborn_euro
08-16-2009, 10:39 AM
thanks for the input guys, i went with the advice to check in with my bank, and your right, i rarely use cards and get reimbursed for pretty much all my expenses i put on it. So I went with a scotia visa line with a pretty low interest rate with no annual fee, but also that doesn't come with any of those special benefits or rewards things.

Criticull
08-19-2009, 11:58 AM
MBNA Smart Cash if you can get it. Best ever.

Darkane
08-19-2009, 12:25 PM
TD Emerald.

Low yearly fee (15-20$ I think)
Interest is low, I'm paying 7.15% purchases/advances.