PDA

View Full Version : Which car?

carnnewb
07-09-2009, 06:01 PM
I am buying my first car and i was wondering which one i should get, it will be used cause thats all i can afford. Heres a few guidelines as to what im looking for, it has to be somewhat reliable as i do not have the money to always be fixing it, gas is not a huge issue but it would be nice if it was good on gas, and i really want it to be a sporty car with pretty good performance stock. O and i live on Prince Edward Island so there will be a lot of winter driving and also there is not a huge used car selection.

Heres a few cars i ve been looking at

- 02 wrx
- 02 celica gt-s
- 01 integra
- 00-04 mustangs
- 00-04 tiburons

I know its pretty broad but some input would be nice.

black300
07-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Go for anything but the mustang and the tiburon

mustang=rwd=crashing in winters
tiburon-hyundai=fail

Best choice would be wrx I say

xLostx
07-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Integra or wrx out of your list. I'm a honda guy so i'm a bit biased.

carnnewb
07-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Ya the wrx was what i was really looking at but I was not sure about the reliability, what are those cars usually like for that?

blueripper6
07-09-2009, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by black300
Go for anything but the mustang and the tiburon

mustang=rwd=crashing in winters
tiburon-hyundai=fail

Best choice would be wrx I say

the sub is easily the best car on the list. I wouldn't buy a tiburon older then 03 there just so ugly.. and as far as rwd is worse in winter is retarded.... it's much better to slide around corners controlled then to not be able to steer and gas at the same time.... but mustangs are garbage anyways so just forget about it!!!!

slinkie
07-09-2009, 07:14 PM
sure, tiburon is weak and pre-03 are just disgusting looking, but it's no more a shitbox than any other car for that price, and holds up a lot better than most

NickGT
07-09-2009, 07:28 PM
I daily drove an 02 Mustang GT convertible year round for a couple years. So I can say based on experience that it's VERY do-able. Especially with winter tires. They are fun cars in the summer, go fast, and sound great but the interiors of that generation are pretty bland and the seats are down right painful if you're stuck in them for more than 30 mins. The huge aftermarket for parts and such keeps things interesting (if you're into that). Reason I sold mine was for the 05 which crushes it in all areas in my opinion.

Good luck with your choice :thumbsup:

carnnewb
07-09-2009, 07:29 PM
Ok im going to cut it down to the wrx integra and celica, with the wrx probly being my first choice, but id still dont know what their reliability is like?

DannyO
07-09-2009, 07:46 PM
From what I know, the WRX engines seem to be pretty reliable, there no honda, but as long as it hasn't been bagged on and has been well maintained you should be fine, only thing to watch for is the manual transmission, there not the strongest.

If you find a good condition WRX or Integra, you shouldn't really have any problems with either of them.

Masked Bandit
07-09-2009, 07:53 PM
It's not the RWD on the Mustang that makes is a less than amazing winter vehicle, it's the fact that it's RWD and fairly light in the back end. It's the same thing with a 1/2 ton truck that's 2wd and no weight in the back. It's complete shit. Put 500 lbs or more in the back and now you're getting somewhere.

300zx_007
07-09-2009, 09:41 PM
wrx :closed:

bundi
07-09-2009, 10:53 PM
I like the wrx, but the integra is probably more reliable and better on gas due to non-AWD and smaller motor.

When I was looking at 2002 wrx's I noticed a lot of them had ~150K on chassis and "replaced motor"... dunno maybe dummies were overboosting or maybe they are slightly unreliable.. I'd still buy one ;)

jsn
07-09-2009, 11:20 PM
wrx for sure

texasnick
07-10-2009, 07:44 AM
WRX. They are very reliable cars. Just don't try to launch them at 5k RPM.

Integras are good cars, but once winter rolls around you will be looking at all the WRX's and want one.

carnnewb
07-11-2009, 10:06 AM
What do you guys think about a eclipse, probly 02.

avishal26
07-11-2009, 11:25 AM
wrx is your best bet. I don't know about reliability but you'll be happier with a wrx than any of the other cars.

Eclipses are nice but 2002 ones don't look as good as the wrx IMO.