PDA

View Full Version : winter and all seasons

2.2vtec
11-01-2003, 08:13 PM
Here is my problem. I have two bf goodwrich tires that have lot's of tread left on my back wheels but the two front are getting bald. Should I just buy the same all seasons on the back and replace my bald or buy two winter bf tires and put them in the front? Is this a good idea? Or will my car be worst off? Anyone have experience doing this?

Akagi Redsuns
11-01-2003, 09:02 PM
I drove a car with a winter tires over the drive wheels (FWD) and all-seasons in the back. I would not recommend it. It works when you are going in a straight line and accelerating, good traction. Just in the corners it was really iffy. Was fun the 1st couple of the times with the tail coming out, but you don't want it to do that all the time.

I would go with getting all 4 tires of the same genre, winter or all-seasons, I wouldn't mix them out. So buy the all-seasons or get 4 winters.

ryder_23
11-02-2003, 02:02 AM
I have winters on the front, and somewhat all seasons on back (m+s rated) which pretty much means dick all in calgary winters...and it depends on how you steer in the corner, if you smooth steer, rear end doesnt swing out...well atleast i find that way. I'm going to get winters all the way around, but for now just in fronts....I find even having the winters in the front vs all seasons i had last year alot better than just all seasons, but thats just imo...

max_boost
11-02-2003, 02:13 AM
I've noticed my rear wanting to kick and this is my setup.......

Ultra soft stick Blizzaks WS15 up front
Performance oriented Michelin Pilot Alpins in the rear

Now they are all winter tires but it just feels a little different around corners....hmmm

It's starting to make me a lil uncomfortable so I might go and buy the updated WS50 series for the rears......or am I just crazy?:dunno:

finboy
11-02-2003, 02:20 AM
i just use crappy pacemark allseasons on my jetta.

you slide if you drive hard, but like any car, its managable for daily driving if you pay attention to the road and traffic.

GTS Jeff
11-02-2003, 11:50 AM
if u want the most predictable and safe setup, get the same tire all around. this is why i have summer tires at all 4 corners :rofl:

last winter i used crappy tire winters at the front and 2 bald allseasons to drive the rear. i had crappy acceleration, ok stopping, and my tail slid out for no reason. which is the effect i was aiming for hehe.