PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Indy by 2011?

RicoLance21
07-09-2009, 07:19 PM
Since the contract for Rexall Edmonton Indy expires next year, given the huge number of auto race fans here, plus Vancouver's race circuit no longer exists, is there a good possibility to move the race to Calgary?

I've been thinking about the Stampede grounds and parts of Victoria Park neighbourhood for some time, plus closing MacLeod Trail to accomodate amenities, concessions and such, so that the street traffic would be temporarily diverted to 1 St. SW.

S13_Ryan
07-09-2009, 07:28 PM
:nut: highly unlikely. but it would be crazy if it happened.

whats going on with that badlands motor sports park? there's supposed to be a full European road course there

spikerS
07-09-2009, 07:28 PM
not a chance.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by S13_Ryan
:nut: highly unlikely. but it would be crazy if it happened.

whats going on with that badlands motor sports park? there's supposed to be a full European road course there

Badlands will likely be going ahead as planned some time in the future. The plan is to make it into a condo destination and also rent out garages etc for people who are very serious/wealthy.

In other news, the CSCC has sold there old shack, and now has approx 5 million dollars to invest and plan an creating another track in Beiseker as well.

RicoLance21
07-09-2009, 07:40 PM
..and keep in mind that the City Centre airport in Edmonton was recently given the go-ahead to slowly close it. The race track may not be there in the near-future, plus I have a good feeling the IRL wants out of Edmonton due to low attendance.

buh_buh
07-09-2009, 08:10 PM
If you're talking about Macleod, the roads here in general are WAY too bad for there to be a street course, but if they fixed it up and held a street course here, that would be pretty fucking amazing. Street course ftw.

ryanallan
07-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by RicoLance21
plus I have a good feeling the IRL wants out of Edmonton due to low attendance.

are you kidding !
is this feeling you have just a good hunch based on all the research you do ?
edmonton has one of the best attendance records on the calendar.

frozenrice
07-09-2009, 08:36 PM
It'd be highly unlikely. Calgary just doesn't have anywhere to put a decent course with room for stands. Besides, something about current city administration that reeks of anti car racing (ie. Race City). City bylaws alone like the noise bylaw would be a huge hurdle. Festival organizers have a hard enough time with open concerts. No doubt there'd be some NIMBY douches that would have a fit if a major race organization tried to set up in the inner city. If you've ever been to or near a CART race you'd understand.
It'd be super cool if Calgary could snatch up the void left by Edmonton. To boost attendance, host it around Stampede time to take advantage of the travellers that are already here anyways. Regardless, it'll likely never happen.

RicoLance21
07-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by ryanallan

are you kidding !
is this feeling you have just a good hunch based on all the research you do ?
edmonton has one of the best attendance records on the calendar.

The attendance has dropped every year when you look at wikipedia. Last year, they were at a deficit. I got a good feeling the attendance at race day would stay consistent at around 75000 during race day if in Calgary.

badatusrnames
07-09-2009, 09:19 PM
Our roads are garbage... I have a hard enough time doing 120 on Deerfoot without compressing my spine. I couldn't imagine doing Indy car speeds down McLeod. We don't have the roads nor the track for this.

ryanallan
07-09-2009, 10:06 PM

The attendance has dropped every year when you look at wikipedia. Last year, they were at a deficit. I got a good feeling the attendance at race day would stay consistent at around 75000 during race day if in Calgary.
is also a hunch based on all the research you do ?

the race brings in over $80m to the city's economy as well as giving it word wide exposure. according the to mayor, the $5m loss it worth it.

did you know the montreal GP lost money every year. why did the city keep paying for it, and why do they want to pay more money to bring it back ?

FLARE
07-09-2009, 10:14 PM
not a chance in hell calgary gets this

ShermanEF9
07-10-2009, 12:59 AM
theres no way in hell they would close macloed.

urban.one
07-10-2009, 08:44 AM
The Edmonton circuit is a great place to watch a race as you get to see much of the course from almost any seat. Its a lot different than other road or street courses where you sometimes only get to see one corner from any given seat.
Were pretty lucky to have this event in Alberta. I highly recommend getting out to it this year especially if its in danger of being lost.

As for Calgary I dunno where you could have it. Ideal location is downtown or near downtown as a race weekend is really a 3 day festival with a race thrown in on the last day. Having been a fan of American open wheel racing for quite a few years, Ive seen many street courses over the years that are on less than ideal tracks... bad road surfaces, tight track configurations not suited for passing or even racing in general, etc. So its possible to get it done.

95EagleAWD
07-15-2009, 12:42 PM
Yeah, anyone remember the first year in San Jose? All the cars getting air off the trolley tracks? It was awesome.

98type_r
07-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by ShermanEF9

:werd:

It will never happen on a road course in this city.

Go4Long
07-15-2009, 03:24 PM

and even with the dropped attendance levels it's still one of the highest attended events on the calendar.

Originally posted by ShermanEF9

yes your right...no one at city hall would ever vote on a motion to close a major thorough fare for something very few people relatively speaking would ever make use of...that'd be like closing memorial to use it as an extension of the walking paths...oh wait.

Xtrema
07-15-2009, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by ryanallan
did you know the montreal GP lost money every year. why did the city keep paying for it, and why do they want to pay more money to bring it back ?

whores. F1 weeks bring in lots of whores. :D

95EagleAWD
07-15-2009, 06:35 PM

We had over 70,000 for race day last year. The "lowest" the attendance has ever been over 3 days is over 165,000 people. That's extremely high for an IndyCar race, and the 220,000+ we had the first year is the record.

urban.one
07-23-2009, 08:38 AM
Edmonton debates if Indy worth the cost

Last year’s $5.3M loss puts pressure on race organizers
The course is constructed, the grandstands are up, the weather forecast is good. This weekend, cars will hit the pavement at the Rexall Edmonton Indy.

Edmonton Journal ArchiveThe financial sustainability of this weekend’s Rexall Edmonton Indy has become the topic of almost as much discussion as the race itself after a deficit last year put Edmonton taxpayers on the hook for $5.3 million.

But the sporting event’s financial sustainability has become the topic of almost as much discussion as the race itself, after a deficit last year put Edmonton taxpayers on the hook for $5.3 million — $4 million more than anticipated.

Edmonton city councillors appear split on whether the costs have been worth it.

“It’s a question mark,” said Coun. Ed Gibbons. “It’s still early to say whether the Indy was right or wrong to do, and you can’t cancel it, anyway.

“We went in with the business plan thinking we’d do well by it. A vote’s a vote and we’re living with it. And I’m hoping for the best.”

Indy boosters such as Coun. Tony Caterina have no doubt the cars and crowds are good for the city.

“The publicity, you can’t even put a price tag on it. The Indy is being seen by countries around the world,” Caterina said.

“We know the Indy has huge, worldwide appeal,” said Coun. Karen Leibovici.

“Every time the cars go around the track on the TV screen, people see Edmonton,” Leibovici said. “We can’t afford the kind of advertising we get.”

When councillors agreed in 2007 to backstop any losses on the Champ Car World Series — which has since merged with the Indy Racing League — they anticipated losses of around $1 million for at least two years. But the exposure Edmonton would receive in international television markets would be worth it, they reasoned.

The $5.3-million loss caught everyone by surprise. Now, in the midst of a recession, Northlands is under intense scrutiny to run the $14.5-million event on budget. The expected deficit this year is $1.5 million.

The organization has been tossed a few surprises. Last week it emerged the Edmonton Regional Airports Authority will charge for the use of its land, a fee waived last year. Add $250,000 to costs.
Last week, Caterina said federal funding had been secured. Add a potential $400,000 to revenues.

Coun. Ron Hayter, who unsuccessfully petitioned for an audit of last year’s Indy, thinks Northlands is prepared for the race.

“They’re working very hard to make sure that expenditures are looked at very closely and they’re putting on a strong promotional effort. I’m cautiously confident they’re going to put on the event this year without hitting the taxpayer between the eyes.”

Northlands has had a full year to promote this year’s Indy, unlike 2008, when the merger of the two racing leagues left the organization with two months to market a new and much larger event.

Indy merchandise, which was conspicuously absent last year, has made it across the border, which should boost revenues.

And the Edmonton Indy should be able to play off the race’s reintroduction in Toronto this year.

One week before the race, ticket sales were “going well,” Northlands major events director Mike Burton said. The Indy Racing League, however, does not permit the release of ticket sale numbers.

Burton said his organization has been running a tight operation this year. It’s expensive, however: major expenses include a sanctioning fee to the racing league, grandstand construction and television rights.

“Watching every dollar that we spend has been an important part of this process, and I can tell you, I’m really satisfied with the way we’ve managed our expenses this year,” Burton said.

The Indy Racing League has said it’s interested in keeping the race in Edmonton beyond the 2010 contract. It’s unclear whether councillors will be willing to support an event that has yet to break even.

“I’m interested in seeing what our citizens are thinking moving forward, and Northlands would have to agree that they’d want to continue to do it,” said Coun. Kim Krushell.

“After three years, that’s when it will be time to decide whether there’s a business case or not. It will be a cost-benefit analysis.”

98type_r
07-23-2009, 11:02 AM
if it bleeds money again like last year, i bet council votes against renewing.

Carl64
07-23-2009, 03:56 PM
Like it says in the article, you cant get that kind of publicity anywhere. Its a huge draw of tourism to a not very tourist-friendly city. I say keep it going in Edmonton. :thumbsup:

95EagleAWD
07-23-2009, 03:58 PM
The city is getting pretty pumped up here... I'm hearing ads on the radio, stuff all over the streets, downtown, etc... Hoping for a good weekend!!

Go4Long
07-23-2009, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by 98type_r
if it bleeds money again like last year, i bet council votes against renewing.

:facepalm: you're confusing two entirely different issues here...the city doesn't lose money. the city is paid for the rental of the facility, the additional transportation service, all the advertising, everything. The event loses money. it's like saying calgary city council is going to vote not to keep the flames if they lose money. the two aren't related.

lovely09
07-28-2009, 09:55 PM
If they can manage the race and control everything then it can be but i see a very minimal chance.Maybe they will choose other place than in Calgary.

rage2
07-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Go4Long
:facepalm: you're confusing two entirely different issues here...the city doesn't lose money. the city is paid for the rental of the facility, the additional transportation service, all the advertising, everything. The event loses money. it's like saying calgary city council is going to vote not to keep the flames if they lose money. the two aren't related.
Not according to the article...

Edmonton Journal ArchiveThe financial sustainability of this weekend’s Rexall Edmonton Indy has become the topic of almost as much discussion as the race itself after a deficit last year put Edmonton taxpayers on the hook for $5.3 million.

But the sporting event’s financial sustainability has become the topic of almost as much discussion as the race itself, after a deficit last year put Edmonton taxpayers on the hook for $5.3 million — $4 million more than anticipated.

Go4Long
07-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Strange, who knows the specifics of how it happened that way though realistically.

It's like CTV posted a survey a while back about race city saying "should the city spend 3 million taxpayer dollars to help save race city?" while leaving out all the additional information necessary to make a reasonable decision on the topic, like that the money wasn't actually going to race city at all.

Media spin is a powerful tool.

jimmycater1988
10-20-2009, 02:44 AM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).