PDA

View Full Version : Review:"New" Green Papaya & WickedChili (yes a viet restaurant with an indian buffet)

hampstor
07-09-2009, 10:03 PM
- Restaurant name : Green Papaya & Wicked Chili

I heard Green Papaya was bought out and had new owners. I drove by a few weeks ago and noticed the 'Wickedchili.ca' sign up beside the original Green Papaya sign. We went there for dinner.

The restaurant is now a Vietnamese restaurant & and indian buffet all in one. You sit down and can either go upto the indian buffet, or order from the viet menu. I shit you not.

I had refused to go back to Green Papaya before, however with the new indian buffet & new owners I thought i'd give it another shot as odd as it sounded.

- Food rating - Vietnamese Food : 1/5
I ordered a large "special" pho. When I got it, my first taste of the broth was a bit bland, but oddly sweet. I asked for some straight fish sauce to deal with the blandness. I tasted the broth again and then realized that there must've been a shitload of MSG in it. It was confirmed when I was ridiculously thristy part way thru my meal. I could not believe how much MSG there must've been in there too.

The pho was flavourless, however there was a fair amount of meat and meatballs. None of the tendon/tripe you get from 'special' pho at other places though.

I knew the dishes were clean. I could taste & smell the palmolive off my chopsticks, spoon, and the bowl. At first i thought it wasn't bad, but 1/4 thru the bowl i couldnt eat anymore - it was just worse. I left hungry because I refused to eat anything else off the menu.

Oh ya, I asked for a chili pepper - no chili peppers. wtf? The name is the place is 'Green Papaya / wicked chili' and there's a picture of a chilli pepper in the name of the place: http://www.wickedchili.ca/images/wicked_chili_logo.png

Cost: 10.75

- Food rating - Indian Buffet : According to my wife, 2/5. according to the guy behind us (more on this later) 0/5

My wife took some naan, butter chicken, curry beef, and something with chickpeas in it.

The first 2 pieces of naan were old, stale, and hard. The next few were decent & the chickpea thing was good. That was the only redeeming quality of the meal.

She said the butter chicken tasted like tomato soup with cream in it. The beef in the curry beef extremely tough.

She had a bubble tea as well. She thought it was good.

Cost for Buffet: 14.95
Cost for Bubble Tea: 5.50

- Ambience : 4/5
Fresh coat of paint with a nice design. It looked good and warm. It was very clean too. Didn't see the bathroom though.

1 point lost because of the guy who made a scene about how shitty his butter chicken was (more below).

- Service : 2/5
There were 2 people working the 8 tables that had people at them. Almost all of them were buffet tables.

Only came by once to ask how our food was - 20 minutes after we got our food. She didn't even come by to refill my water (very needed considering the MSG in the pho) until then.

The guy who was complaining about how shitty his butterchicken was, started with "I've been waiting for someone to come by and ask how the meal was - however that never happened. I had to ask you to come by. I want to speak to the manager now".

Final thoughts:
Well, fuck - I thought i'd give them another chance. Unfortunately, nothing seems to be as good as Pho Dau Bo. Even the service is better there than at wickedchili/green papaya. That, and the ridiculous price of the shitty food.

Do yourself a favour, don't eat there.

gatorade
07-09-2009, 10:11 PM
a viet restaurant with a indian buffet wtf?

signature7
07-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Can pigs fly? Indian and Asian doing business together...not surprised it didn't work out well for the customers.

dj_rice
07-09-2009, 10:23 PM
Mmmmm Pho Dau Bo Dac Biet with nuoc beo :drool:

hampstor
07-09-2009, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

Gross Pho Dac Biet with a side of bland butter chicken and stale, hard naan :barf:

I'd love to go to pho dau bo, but it's soo god damn far. I think i'll just give up eating viet food until im in the hood.

GQBalla
07-09-2009, 10:27 PM

sir you just explained a meal fit for champions

abyss
07-09-2009, 10:28 PM
Yeah, we should have just ran being that they're the same restaurant, however I originally was under the impression that they were two separate places that just happened to be right next to each other. Oh well, lesson learned. On the plus side, the kidlet didn't seem to mind his meal too much (he shared with me), he didn't eat as much as he did when we went to Bolero though, he has expensive taste I guess. :bigpimp:

trieu
07-10-2009, 03:07 AM
Pho Rang Dong FTW. :hitit:

hampstor
07-10-2009, 10:48 AM
The wokbox in the same plaza has better butter chicken and asian food. :facepalm:

B18C
08-15-2009, 09:11 PM
Went there last week for some pho on the suggestion of a friend. It was not good at all. We actually went in, smelled the indian food and thought we went in the wrong restaurant and walked back out.

The food was bland and it was really weird eating pho and smelling indian food.

Would not go back.

max_boost
08-19-2009, 07:34 PM
lol

All of ya got pho-wned

The best is still Pho Hoai and Pho Dau Bo. No chance.

D. Dub
08-19-2009, 08:24 PM
The Green Papaya was piss poor before -- food quality was bad and service was terrible .

Now it sounds like it's 2 really bad restaurants in one :rolleyes:

Sorath
08-20-2009, 10:14 AM
#1 with bo at pho dau bo :drool:

bubbley
08-20-2009, 10:27 AM
so is it viets making indian
or indians making viet

lol

5hift
08-20-2009, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by hampstor

The guy who was complaining about how shitty his butterchicken was, started with "I've been waiting for someone to come by and ask how the meal was - however that never happened. I had to ask you to come by. I want to speak to the manager now".

Haha more on this guy.

GQNammer
08-20-2009, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by bubbley
so is it viets making indian
or indians making viet

lol

From the food description, sounds like it was italians making some sort of gumbo

malcolmk14
09-01-2009, 09:17 AM

What's the proper pronunciation of this? I'm white.

GQBalla
09-01-2009, 09:27 AM
nook beow