PDA

View Full Version : Review: The Green Chili

Weapon_R
07-10-2009, 11:10 AM
Three of us went for lunch yesterday to this place. From the outside, it looks a little run down because of the pawn shop next door and the crowd around the building. Inside, I found the place to be clean and nicely decorated, although the seating and tables looked a little cheap with their cafeteria style chairs.

The staff was quite friendly, although it seemed like a total sausage fest with no females in sight. The host was male and the wait staff were also males. That said, the host was great and the staff was attentive, so I have no complaints.

Since the place was a buffet, we didn't examine the menus and I don't know how their pricing is for individual items.

On to the food. We all found that the food tasted really good, but I did notice that the rice was overcooked at the bottom of the pot (it was hard) and the butter chicken was pretty dry, even with the sauce. There is no fresh naan bread, and you have to keep asking for it. Otherwise, the food is great and I have no regrets going there as it was better than most Indian restaurants in the city.

The bill was around $70 for three, which is higher than most for an Indian lunch buffet. I think the soft drinks are priced at $4/person, which is on the higher side.

The Green Chili Restaurant
17 Avenue SW location

Ambiance: 3/5
Service: 3/5
Food: 4/5
Value: 3/5
Overall: 3/5

max_boost
07-10-2009, 11:17 AM
$70 for 3 people at lunch buffet. :eek: What recession? haha I wish I could charge those prices lol :D

$4/pop? Awesome. I hope it came with free re-fills;)

I have their menu and will probably get take out from there very soon. I think jdmakkord and his EI crew are a big fan of this place so things must be good.

jazzyb
07-10-2009, 11:29 AM
order taek out atleast twice a week from them and love it.

Kritafo
07-10-2009, 11:45 AM
So just so I am not confused

Is this Green Chili

or Green Chili tastes of India?

ronaldo
07-10-2009, 04:29 PM
which location did you go to?

SpoonEK9@STRD
07-10-2009, 06:19 PM
green chili on macleod is good.. wicked take out.

DJ_NAV
07-21-2009, 11:30 AM
they have like 6-7 locations now... from top of my head theres one at mcmahon stadium, crowfoot, beddington tr N, 17th ave, mcleod, i really like the fact that they have indian-chinese dishes. most of the places in cgy don't have them.

bubbley
07-21-2009, 01:25 PM
looks like these guys are expanding..good for them..got a few places looks like around town. good food btw

GREENBOY
07-21-2009, 02:48 PM
You can't judge food on a buffet that's sat under lights. Everything dries out under that. I get Green Chilli takeout from the place opposite McMahon. Always so good. Place is a little rough around the edges but food is always killer.