PDA

View Full Version : looking for an old school deli.

spikerS
07-10-2009, 12:18 PM
Looking for an old school deli that serves lunch. I have been looking for a place that serves up a montreal smoked meat sandwich the way it is supposed to be, and hopefully some home made soup as well.

seems like they have all dissapeard....

anyone able to point me in the right direction?

dannie
07-10-2009, 12:25 PM
Palace of Eats

http://www.palaceofeats.ca/menu.php

n1zm0
07-10-2009, 05:25 PM
there was this place called Cafe Metro that had those huge sandwiches packed with brine-cured kinda meats, idk if they're still over there near Snatch on mac trail.

you'll most likely be trying to look for the jewish/kosher delis, there was one on 4th street cant remember, best gdamned montreal smoked/pastrami/ corned beef sandwiches EVER.

spikerS
07-10-2009, 09:29 PM
thats what i am looking for.

I want a montral smoked meat sandwich, or a ruben with some home made soup, like they are supposed to be made. I miss them so much.

There used to be a place in Kensington that my dad took me too all the time back in the late 80s early 90s, but they are long gone, and I have yet to find another place like it.

Hash_man
07-10-2009, 09:36 PM
My Marvin's Deli on 4st a block north of Earl's Tin Palace.... I haven't been for a while, but last time I went the Montreal smoked meat sanwiches were awesome... You just reminded me I need to go back.

dj_rice
07-10-2009, 09:36 PM
Costco has a Montreal Smoked Meat sandwich but I don't know if its good or not

Ripper
07-10-2009, 09:46 PM
For good Montreal smoke meat and ruebens you can visit Smokey Lee's on 6th ave and like 4th (I Think) SW downtown. It's just a wooden shack on the corner that makes a damn good sandwich.

adidas
07-11-2009, 12:17 PM
I am not sure if it still exists but worth havin a look!

11th st and between 15th and 14th ave SW...It use to be right next door to GALAXY diner, if they are still around then your really gonna like this place!

Sorry im not sure of their name!

ixlr8
07-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Not sure if they are still as good as they used to be but...

http://www.albertakingofsubs.com/

Haven't been in years, but the owner/operator was the definition of old school and straight out of Montreal. You won't get soup, but you will get your authentic MSM sandwich and if it is as good as it used to be, you will jizz in your pants.

mac_82
07-11-2009, 03:41 PM
There is a place near Marda Loop that I went to at xmas time when I was in town. It was pretty decent. Nothing like you would find out east though :(. I will try to find the name of it.

ExtraSlow
07-11-2009, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Ripper
For good Montreal smoke meat and ruebens you can visit Smokey Lee's on 6th ave and like 4th (I Think) SW downtown. It's just a wooden shack on the corner that makes a damn good sandwich.
This place used to be really good. haven't been in a while to re-confirm.

Pollywog
07-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0
there was this place called Cafe Metro that had those huge sandwiches packed with brine-cured kinda meats, idk if they're still over there near Snatch on mac trail.

you'll most likely be trying to look for the jewish/kosher delis, there was one on 4th street cant remember, best gdamned montreal smoked/pastrami/ corned beef sandwiches EVER.

I looovveee Cafe Metro, great smoked meat sandwiches. Must get the Big Mouth.

Edit: The giant pickle slice tops it off.

cancer man
07-12-2009, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Pollywog

I looovveee Cafe Metro, great smoked meat sandwiches. Must get the Big Mouth.

Edit: The giant pickle slice tops it off.

You beat me to it.
It's all about those pickles

adidas
07-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Just wanna add to my last post, the place i mentioned is still up! So go give it a try!

Its called Palace(or Place) of eats

spikerS
07-12-2009, 01:55 PM
well, i am going to try to find these places over the next few weeks. i gotta say, i am really looking forward to this!

Weapon_R
07-12-2009, 02:00 PM
I just went to Palace of Eats and it's pretty good. Definitely old school and they have a great Montreal Smoked meat sandwich.

Jonel
07-12-2009, 04:33 PM
montreal meathouse on the corner of 6th avenue and 4th street (side close to 3rd street) she's open from 10am to 2pm. it's a little brown shack, you can't miss it since you can smell the smoked meat from half a block away. She doesn't serve soup but she gives you homemade potato chips and a huge pickle if you ask for them. I always get the one with bbq sauce + fried onions.

ExtraSlow
07-12-2009, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Jonel
montreal meathouse on the corner of 6th avenue and 4th street (side close to 3rd street) she's open from 10am to 2pm. it's a little brown shack, you can't miss it since you can smell the smoked meat from half a block away. She doesn't serve soup but she gives you homemade potato chips and a huge pickle if you ask for them. I always get the one with bbq sauce + fried onions.
I think that place is called smokey lees.

Amysicle
07-12-2009, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I think that place is called smokey lees. That's correct. It used to be called Big D's but she bought out his half and changed the name. The meat she uses comes from a secret source in Montreal.

dino_martini
07-14-2009, 10:17 PM
I went to "Alberta King of Sub's" today and was honestly not that impressed. Palace of Eats is still king for me.

The meat wasn't sliced real well at AKoS. The pickle tasted a little funky (cardboard-e). And for what I paid (i think around 12 bucks) at Palace of eats you get quite a bit more for your money.

:dunno:

xDodge2x
07-15-2009, 02:16 AM
ohhh a great place is right by St.vincentdepaul school and marketmall
there is a lil strip mall and i think its called varcity pizza and subs
both are freaking amazing!!

nonlinear
07-15-2009, 09:42 AM
^^well, alberta king of subs is best known for their poutine (which is outstanding). i think the the rest of their food is pretty standard (including the smoked meat, which is just shipped in and anyone can use it to make a sandwich).

dino_martini
07-16-2009, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by nonlinear
^^well, alberta king of subs is best known for their poutine (which is outstanding). i think the the rest of their food is pretty standard (including the smoked meat, which is just shipped in and anyone can use it to make a sandwich).

I thought their poutine was fairly average as well. I don't know, maybe I'm missing something...