PDA

View Full Version : Repairing/replacing a hot water tank

Old Snake
07-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Anyone know where we can buy a new hot water tank. Our tank is leaking really bad and is badly corroded. Are there stainless steel tanks to remove the corrosion problem? W Thanks.

EDIT: I now have an idea on how about to go through this. Would home depot have all the supplies parts that I would need or do I need to go to a special hardware store?

TomcoPDR
07-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Go to Wolseley

http://www.wolseleyinc.ca/home.htm;jsessionid=78BEC75CD818CDE640E8C0AFF7A35860

Old Snake
07-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
Go to Wolseley

http://www.wolseleyinc.ca/home.htm;jsessionid=78BEC75CD818CDE640E8C0AFF7A35860

Thanks. :)

masoncgy
07-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Yes, Home Depot does stock a good selection of hot water tanks in various sizes, and decent prices (incl. installation) to boot.

I had a 40 gallon tank installed about 4 years ago and it was just over $600 all in.

SinisterProbeGt
07-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Home Depot is your best bet. Even HVAC suppliers can not get a better price than them on resi tanks.
Home Depot moves thousands of them
Wolseley
Independant supply and others dont move as many therefore cant provide the best pricing

Old Snake
07-10-2009, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by SinisterProbeGt
Home Depot is your best bet. Even HVAC suppliers can not get a better price than them on resi tanks.
Home Depot moves thousands of them
Wolseley
Independant supply and others dont move as many therefore cant provide the best pricing

Ok gotcha! I see your point on how the pricing would differ since Home Depot moves more products. Any amount of savings would be great.

sputnik
07-10-2009, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Old Snake
Anyone know where we can buy a new hot water tank. Our tank is leaking really bad and is badly corroded. Are there stainless steel tanks to remove the corrosion problem? W Thanks.

EDIT: I now have an idea on how about to go through this. Would home depot have all the supplies parts that I would need or do I need to go to a special hardware store?

Are you getting a plumber to do the work for you?

Are you prepared to work on the gas line if you have to? Depending on the tank you may even have to move the gas line slightly or add a bit of length to a piece or two.

Old Snake
07-10-2009, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Are you getting a plumber to do the work for you?

Are you prepared to work on the gas line if you have to? Depending on the tank you may even have to move the gas line slightly or add a bit of length to a piece or two.

We do have a gas fired hot water tank. I know a plumber and he said he will fix it for me (not till next thursaday). But, I might just go to Home Depot anytime and ask how much.

will_e_chill
07-10-2009, 03:30 PM
i bought mine from home depot and had a plumber buddy install it for a couple bux.

i'm sure home depot can recommend a plumber also.

i would buy as big of a tank as you can fit in the space.

we used to have a 33 gallon tank and would run out of hot water if we ran 2 long showers back to back.

we installed a 50 gallon tank and havent run out yet.

Old Snake
07-10-2009, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by will_e_chill
i bought mine from home depot and had a plumber buddy install it for a couple bux.

i'm sure home depot can recommend a plumber also.

i would buy as big of a tank as you can fit in the space.

we used to have a 33 gallon tank and would run out of hot water if we ran 2 long showers back to back.

we installed a 50 gallon tank and havent run out yet.

How much did your new tank cost you?

Darell_n
07-10-2009, 04:50 PM
A water softener will double the life of your tank.

badatusrnames
07-10-2009, 04:56 PM
Try a sacrificial anode maybe?

Darell_n
07-10-2009, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames
Try a sacrificial anode maybe?

I think all tanks come with one.

Old Snake
07-12-2009, 04:21 PM
We are now thinking of tank-less water heaters. Anyone know a good model for either gas or electric. We started thinking about the future and how it is easier to maintain. There are five people living in the house.

Thanks for everyone's input.

EDIT: Do these items qualify for a government credit/rebate?

Darell_n
07-12-2009, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Old Snake
We are now thinking of tank-less water heaters. Anyone know a good model for either gas or electric. We started thinking about the future and how it is easier to maintain. There are five people living in the house.

Thanks for everyone's input.

EDIT: Do these items qualify for a government credit/rebate?

Yes, they qualify. Bosch is a very good brand. One note that many people don't realize is they need to run the hot water tap much longer than they're use to since no hot water is being stored. There is also a minimum water flow required before the water heater kicks in. The household water consumption will go up.

High efficiency tank water heaters are available so I wouldn't rule them out.