PDA

View Full Version : hole in dry wall help

JC522
07-11-2009, 06:25 PM
So there's a hole in my wall and first I used the mesh tape with the metal backing to repair it before mudding but I didn't like how it was raised so I took it out and restarted. This time I used just the mesh tape and mudded over it, sanded, then remudded. My final layer I sanded it and now the mesh tape is showing a little bit in areas. Does that mean I sanded too much, will the mesh tape texture show up after I prime and paint?

Ichigo
07-11-2009, 06:30 PM
If you have extra dry wall lying around you can cut a square out of your damaged area that passes through some 2x4 supports, screw that on and then mud and sand the little cracks.

JC522
07-11-2009, 06:32 PM
hole isn't big enough to need support behind it, I put the mesh tape and sanded it down but I never understood how much to sand down, should I be able to see the mesh starting to show?

EuroDubbs
07-11-2009, 06:40 PM
cut a bigger hole like 1 foot by 1 foot then put some 2'x4's behind the drywall screw it on then cut a new piece of drywall so it will fit in the hole with minimal gaps, then screw it in place. Therefore you dont need to use tape just use mud.

ExtraSlow
07-11-2009, 06:40 PM
You sanded too far.

adidas
07-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Sounds like ur trying to fix it before ur dad sees it!

And make sure that its even with the rest of the wall...that is when u know to stop sanding!

JC522
07-11-2009, 07:01 PM
lol I own my own house so I don't have to hide it from dad or anyone, I just wanna fix something stupid I did to something I own. Plus I've had the tools out and made a big mess for about a week but no sense cleaning it up till I'm complete so the sooner I fix my wall, the sooner I can clean up and the sooner I can have my house back to normal

BlackArcher101
07-11-2009, 07:13 PM
How big of a hole is it? Fist size? (If so, that's already too big for mesh).

The best way is to cut it square and larger, say about 12"x12" minimum. Then take some pieces of wood at least 1.5" wide and run it along the edge on the backside of the existing drywall. Then place a drywall screw into the existing drywall near the edge which then screws into the wood you put behind. Do this on the 4 edges.

Then cut a piece of drywall to fit the hole. It shouldn't fall through the hole, but instead rest against the 4 peices of wood you placed around the edges. It should leave it sitting nearly flush with the wall. Take some more drywall screws and this time screw the plug into the 4 pieces of wood behind it. You now have a wall patch that's as strong as the existing wall and will be easy to finish.

Then take some drywall mud and some regular tape and tape the 4 seams. Let dry, sand very lightly, then put another coat of mud on (be sure to feather it out away from the seams a good 6" to ensure you won't see the patch). Sand again after dry then add more mud if you don't like the finish. Sand and mud until you are happy with it. After all that, finish it off with some paint. If after paint you see that it's not quite flush yet, you can just mud right over top the paint usually.

That's the proper way of doing it. Doing it any other way won't let and is a PAIN to try to get flush/hide. Also, I'm NOT a fan of using mesh tape... it's just too thick to properly hide in the middle of a wall.

On that note, check this link. A TON of options and advice there. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+repair+hole+in+drywall

JC522
07-11-2009, 07:36 PM
actually i did google it, the videos I watched said to use mesh for any hole up to 6 inches in diameter. I must have watched at least 4 videos. I just didn't understand if I should sand down till I can just see the mesh. But your method sounds more sturdy so looks like I'm starting over again. Thanks for the help

BlackArcher101
07-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Woah, mesh up until 6 inches? Maybe chicken wire... That'd would be a nightmare to work with.

Yep... definetely go with the more sturdy route. It sounds like more work, but in reality, once you have the plug that is smooth with the wall, the mudding and sanding is a breeze (and that's usually the hardest part).

Rat Fink
07-12-2009, 10:52 AM

barmanjay
07-12-2009, 02:55 PM
Hey Guys,.. I applaud you trying to help the op,....

DO NOT CUT A LARGER HOLE THAN NEEDED!!!

I am an ex-professional drywall finisher

You really should have a piece of drywall in behind in place of that hole, but it can be done without.

Mesh tape is ideal for patching holes without having drywall in behind. For hole up to 6", you can purchase a fibreglass 'patch' or similar type of 'stiff' card/mesh product so drywall will not be needed in behind.

For what you have already done, and to not rip it out and re-do it:
coat it again, but larger if you have mesh showing.

ex:

If your origional patch is a 6" square, your finish coat will be an approx 18" square.

(for a 12" hole and you tape the seams,.. the final coat to a non-factory edge - cut line or butt-end; the mud lines will be approx 18-24" wide, so a 12"x12" square, to be proper and look like nothing ever happened, the mud will cover 36"x36")

3 coats that are as thin as thick card stock and lightly sand in between each coat to take off hard endges and overlap lines.

Final coat should be 'put on and take off' - just a skim coat or as some call it a polish coat; used to fill in small holes (fish-eyes) and any other probs than may have happened (scratches, dents)

By the sounds of it,.. you missed a couple of coats and did not go wide enough.

How do you hide a mountain without digging it out,.. fill out the sides and pan it out as wide as you can.

Call me if you like and I can help you out - fyi: I hung up my tools a while ago (danish's basement was one of my last jobs), so I won't be doing any more physical work,.. but can guide you along.

Jay
889-4747

Hamann
07-13-2009, 11:53 AM
For Small Holes (but big enough that you can't just mud) Con-Fill is your best friend, fill the hole with that, then layer with mud/sanding till smooth with the rest of the wall. ;)

For bigger holes follow what Barmanjay layed out :thumbsup:

I'm assuming by him hanging up his tools he retired from the trade, while I decided to get out cause working 16 hours a day for 7 days a weeks kills your social life.

barmanjay
07-13-2009, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Hamann
I'm assuming by him hanging up his tools he retired from the trade, ...

Yup, knees told me to quit or be in a wheel chair