PDA

View Full Version : First time buyer, looking for advise.

07-12-2009, 03:50 PM
So me and the girlfriend are going to be buying a house in the next few months and we could really use some advice and help and whatever else.. Its to much to do and understand without professional opinion.

A little background info, we have already been pre approved and have been workig with a mortgage broker, so that it done.

We are trying to decide on buying preowned or building (or even quick possesion spec home)...

Any info anyone can provide or advise would be great, links, etc.

as well as should we be using a realtor? if so, who and why? I know there are a few realtors on here.... feel free to PM or post here.

Thanks all.

turbotrip
07-12-2009, 03:52 PM
make sure the house is under your name alone

07-12-2009, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by turbotrip
make sure the house is under your name alone

That wont be an issue.

Sorath
07-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Hey buddy definately go with a realtor if u like matt I can introdce him to u. It doesn't cost u anything for the realtor to look for houses in ur criteria. As well as u should always do an offer subjected to a house inspection. If u need a guy I know a guy too. Last but not least u have to consider lawyer fees and make sure in your offer u include lots of conditions to save ur own ass. I.e. House inspection. Stuff to be done of the house, condo documents if any.

Drop me a line if u need any help matt. U have my number

07-12-2009, 04:24 PM
what about building or buying a quick possession from the builder? should a realtor be used?

Sorath
07-12-2009, 04:37 PM
Not sure. But buying from a builder u have to pay gst. I think it depends on the builder if they allow realtors or not. But having a realtor will only do u good.

bspot
07-12-2009, 04:47 PM
I will avoid new places in the future. So many hassles to live through for the first year or two. I'd find one where someone has already gone through all of that crap if I was looking in a newer area.

07-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by bspot
I will avoid new places in the future. So many hassles to live through for the first year or two. I'd find one where someone has already gone through all of that crap if I was looking in a newer area.

What type of hassles, and crap?

turbotrip
07-12-2009, 04:53 PM
^no hassles/crap. all new houses come with the alberta new home warranty program so dont worry about it. we have built countless new homes and had no problems that weren't covered by the warranty

also if you buy new from the builder dont use a realtor and you should get the $2,500 referral fee or whatever the number is these days

07-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by turbotrip

also if you buy new from the builder dont use a realtor and you should get the $2,500 referral fee or whatever the number is these days

Is this for every builder? I havent heard of this.

HRD2PLZ
07-12-2009, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by 410440

I have never heard of builders giving cash to people who purchase unrepresented through them. Some will offer a discount on the purchase price. Others will offer a referral fee to a friend who has purchased/built with them and has recommended them to you (and you purchase/build with them as well). It varies from builder to builder.

barmanjay
07-12-2009, 06:33 PM

I've never heard of that either

What I have read about is:
If you built and referred a friend to the builder, then you get a referral fee of up to something like 2500.

Yes new houses come with a new home warranty program, but research which buiders respect that. Some are really slow to get things done.

Many houses that are only a few years old still carry a warranty on exterior and roof. If there have been problems that required warranty work, chances are the origional owners took care of the hassle with the builder on those issues already.

blitz
07-12-2009, 10:36 PM

What type of hassles, and crap?

I'm guessing he's referring to deck, fence, landscaping, etc

bspot
07-13-2009, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by blitz

I'm guessing he's referring to deck, fence, landscaping, etc

Yup, that and the many many minor things you'll need fixed. My new place sprung a roof leak with the first heavy rain fall, had all sorts of dry wall defects, the wall cracked as it settled, sidewalks had to be redone, plumbing leaks, poor caulking jobs, etc.

Yes, it's all taken care of at no charge to you (besides the landscaping/deck/fence) but it is a HUGE hassle/inconvenience.