PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Dietitian/Meal Planner

BrknFngrs
07-12-2009, 06:28 PM
Has anyone dealt with a dietician that they would recommend? I'm hoping to find someone that can do some analysis over my nutrition needs and can also design a meal plan for me (I'm looking to gain, not lose weight)

I know that most gyms (including my own) have people that do this but they all seem kind of "amateur-ish". I'm looking for someone that takes nutrition more seriously as their career.

theken
07-12-2009, 06:41 PM
How much are you trying to gain? Current weight? Current meals? How much gym do you hit? Blood type?

Oz-
07-12-2009, 07:32 PM
You can try redpointfitness.com, I use it mainly for the automated meal planning/picking.

BrknFngrs
07-12-2009, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by theken
How much are you trying to gain? Current weight? Current meals? How much gym do you hit? Blood type?

I'd like to gain about 45 pounds total as I weigh 145 now. When I'm going to the gym I go 3 times a week religiously but I've been out a few months at this point. I'm not actually sure what my blood type is. I'm not worried about my routines at the gym or the amount of time I spend there, I know my problem is diet and I'm just looking for someone to help me get that aspect fixed up.

Originally posted by Oz-
You can try redpointfitness.com, I use it mainly for the automated meal planning/picking.

Are the meals pretty reasonable to make? (ie: normal ingredients, not overly time consuming, etc)

Oz-
07-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs

Are the meals pretty reasonable to make? (ie: normal ingredients, not overly time consuming, etc) [/B]

Yup. You can make them a bit more complicated or showy if you like. But if you cook like I do, then its pretty easy. This just does all the calculations in the background for you, so I just pick what I would like to eat and then it tells me what/how much to cook.

max_boost
07-12-2009, 09:45 PM
Well you can start by drinking a gallon of milk/per day as I'm sure that will help you pack on the weight like no other lol

BrknFngrs
07-12-2009, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Oz-

Yup. You can make them a bit more complicated or showy if you like. But if you cook like I do, then its pretty easy. This just does all the calculations in the background for you, so I just pick what I would like to eat and then it tells me what/how much to cook.

I've spent a little bit of time browsing the site and it seems like it might be what I'm looking for. Do you have to weigh all of your meals then or do you just "eyeball" everything?

Originally posted by max_boost
Well you can start by drinking a gallon of milk/per day as I'm sure that will help you pack on the weight like no other lol

Haha that's a last resort

lint
07-12-2009, 10:03 PM
Haha that's a last resort

Why? You're looking to gain 45 lbs. GOMAD is cheap and proven to work

tom_9109
07-13-2009, 10:46 AM
Go buy these books:

Eat clean diet for men
&
The eat clean cookbook

They will show you correct nutrition and you can use the principals to gain weight.

Oz-
07-13-2009, 09:45 PM

I've spent a little bit of time browsing the site and it seems like it might be what I'm looking for. Do you have to weigh all of your meals then or do you just "eyeball" everything?

Eyeballing stuff is fine too. Especially if you are looking at gaining weight, just eat and eat more is the key for you.

With losing weight, I weigh pretty much everything. Mind you I can get pretty close most of the time now if I measure by volume. But for the sake of being close I just use my $20 scale from Walmart.

BrknFngrs
07-13-2009, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by lint

Why? You're looking to gain 45 lbs. GOMAD is cheap and proven to work

Isn't it bad to rely that heavily on one source though?

Originally posted by tom_9109
Go buy these books:

Eat clean diet for men
&
The eat clean cookbook

They will show you correct nutrition and you can use the principals to gain weight.

I don't view my problem as not understanding the science behind it. I'm more looking for meal plans which can reduce the time spent counting calories, protein, etc.

Originally posted by Oz-

Eyeballing stuff is fine too. Especially if you are looking at gaining weight, just eat and eat more is the key for you.

With losing weight, I weigh pretty much everything. Mind you I can get pretty close most of the time now if I measure by volume. But for the sake of being close I just use my $20 scale from Walmart.

Thanks for the insight, I think I'll try out the program and see how it works for me. The flexibility and the fact that it does the tracking for me is hugely appealing.

lint
07-13-2009, 11:01 PM
Isn't it bad to rely that heavily on one source though?

GOMAD doesn't mean it's the only thing you eat/drink.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Nutrition,_Supplements_and_Cardio

tom_9109
07-14-2009, 07:37 AM

I don't view my problem as not understanding the science behind it. I'm more looking for meal plans which can reduce the time spent counting calories, protein, etc.

There's no calorie counting required. Seriously flip through it in the store. I've read a lot of nutritional plans and lifestyle suggestions. This one just makes the most sense. They are the same publisher as the mags Maximum fitness and reps. They also publish the bodybuilding bible which is 100% ad free and 700+ pages of solid information. I really urge you to pick it up both actually. Best two peices of information I've found.

lint
08-12-2009, 03:30 PM
Saw this post on strengthmill and thought of this post
http://strengthmill.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5904

175 to 235, 60lb gain in just over 9 months

before
http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/pp208/greyskull_photo/greyskull3463.jpg

after
http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/pp208/greyskull_photo/greyskull093844copy11.jpg

Answering all as best as possible:

My Height is 5'11"

Interpret "Go Eat People" as you will. Most of you could probably stand to eat a person or two.

I drank at least one gallon of milk a day for quite some time. Early on that was key, and took me to the 220s. I stripped a bit of fat off back down to 215ish, then came back at it and the milk came back into the picture. Now I honestly don't religiously get a gallon a day in, and am gaining more gradual through training and big eating as always.

Early on I ate everything in sight, this is no exaggeration. 8-10,000 calories a day was norm. Call bullshit on it if you'd like, but I shot for 1000 plus per "meal" and ate 5 or 6 per day on top of 5 quarts of milk normally. Most of the people I've helped gain weight at this point don't realize how pussilly they're actually eating. I still eat quite a bit now, though nowhere near that aggressive on a daily basis.

AC: You are MY hero. I want a coefficient like yours. Seriously, this kid is young and obnoxiously strong. AC if you do gain weight (you could hold 50 lbs easy) you will be a serious competitor. Plus the ladies may like him as much as they like me (hard to believe, I know).

Side Note for AC and Justin, Do I qualify as 70's big yet?

Phillipo, I am happier, there is nothing cooler than being big and strong.

Zarsky: These people aren't quite ready for my dance moves, don't tease them. They can however see them at most any of Rip's Barbell Certs, yet another reason to register for one soon.

The Lifts, here goes.

Started Novice Progression on Squat at 175
Did my work last week with 365
Not sure of a max right now, but over 400 for sure.

Deadlift
Started at 235
Pulled 455 last night on what was to be an opener (1st of 3 for the night) but pulled the plug due to an aggravated biceps tendon that I'm nursing currently. Will definitely hit 5 plus once this thing calms down in a week or two.

Bench
Started at 180
Have Hit 305 on three occasions. Haven't hit anything bigger due to aforementioned biceps tendon.
Have also done BW (235) for 14 followed by 225 for the same after 90 seconds rest

Press
Started at 145 I believe
Best to Date 210
Did 185 x 6 last week
Will catch BW soon.

Rip is 100% right. Not talent, far from it. Hard work, in the gym and at the table

wintonyk
08-13-2009, 10:53 PM
if you are still looking for help give me a shout. I am presently working as a nutrition consultant and have personal trainer cert. I graduated from uni with a dietetics degree so its not like i am talking bs or just took one course.

I work for a company called Simply for Life and we do custom meal plans and education.

But the biggest thing I think I can do to help is relate to my own experience. At the end of high school i was a scraggly 6ft tall and weighing in around 135-140. That continued through part of university. When I finally got serious about training and diet I exploded 30 lbs of muscle in 6 months... all natural of course. I presently walk around at 170-175 but have been as big as 185.

But PM me if you would like some more details. Not necessarily a meal plan but any questions or suggestions.