PDA

View Full Version : What bike shops should I go to for a road bike?

Super_Geo
07-12-2009, 08:50 PM
I'm looking to get a road bike but don't know much about them. I've been out road biking about 3 times this year, am at a decent level and have a budget of up to $2,000.

What shops would you guys recommend? Or brands? I've been looking through the online catalog at Bow Cycle, but I have no idea which bike is better than the other.

I think I want to get a cheap frame and decent components... suggestions?

scary_perry
07-12-2009, 08:56 PM
I really like Bow just because they have everything.

The Cannondale Caad9 5 or 6 are amazing values. $1200 for a bike whose frame that was top of the line just a couple of years ago and is still hand made in the USA which is kind of unique in a mass market bike.

Shimano Tiagra parts are not a bad level to start at. I have owned bikes with Dura Ace 7800 (top of the line) and I can tell you that properly set up Tiagra 'feels' just as good as Dura Ace for the first few thousand KM. Tiagra is heavier, and won't last as long if you ride thousands of KM per year - but most people never come close to wearing out even the basic parts.

If you get serious, you can put high end parts or wheels on that Cannondale Caad9 frame and have a pro level bike.

And Cannondale is owned by Canadians now!

Other stores:

Campione is good too - but very high end.

If you are looking at Giant, I like Pedalhead.

If you want the full science fit - and are willing to pay for it - go to Speed Theory.

tom_9109
07-13-2009, 10:48 AM
I definitely suggest cannondale. You'll be so happy.

98type_r
07-13-2009, 11:01 AM
The bike shop on 11th. pick yourself up a Specialized Tarmac or Elite depending on what fits/feels better.
OR if you can justify spending a little more, buy yourself a Cervelo S1 from either Bow Cycle or Speed Theory, you won't be disappointed.

urban.one
07-13-2009, 11:48 AM
The road bike forum at bikeforums.net is a great resource. Browsing/searching the forum can let you find a lot of info and then you could post some specific questions once you have learned some basic info.

http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41

All the shops mentioned are good and theres many other good shops in Calgary. Youll always find people who have had a bad experience at any shop though.

One word of advice... go at a time when the shop isnt busy. Dont go on Saturday when the store is packed and the staff wont be able to devote a lot of time to you.

One other thing... dont pay full sticker price. The bare minimum discount you should get is no GST. You might not be able to get more off the price than that but the shop should throw in store credit for accessories for another 5% to 15% of your purchase price.

And remember that road bikes dont come with pedals so you should keep in mind pedals will cost you anywhere from $50 for cheap to $200+. And then youll need shoes which will run you again $100 for cheap to $300+.

Heres a good site to order accessories: http://www.probikekit.com/

Its in the UK but free delivery to Canada. Prices can be 50% less than Canadian retailers for certain goods and they ship UK post so no brokerage fee and theres no duty on bike parts so you pay GST and the $5 customs fee only.

Kritafo
07-13-2009, 11:51 AM
don't rule out second hand frame, some of the shops that have groups and race have a buy and sell forum.

Cervelo makes a nice bike. But it's all personal choice. Parts I would buy from the states they are much cheaper. If you can build yourself. http://www.nashbar.com/ has great deals. Never had an issue ordering from them in the past 15+ years.

Shimano is what everyone seems to be keeping for parts these days, but my husband will only ride Campagnolo.

swak
07-13-2009, 06:10 PM
I bought a caad9-5 this year (105 spec, which is one above tiagra) and am very happy with it. Great bike!
Bought it at Bow Cycle, and the sales rep (doug) did a basic fit.
Ive gone in this store several times, and even on their busiest of days have shown excellant customer service.
Bow Cycle is the best in the city in my books.

trevh
07-13-2009, 06:22 PM
Ridley's Cycle is the best store to buy anything bike related, see Cassandra or Rob.

scary_perry
07-13-2009, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by swak
I bought a caad9-5 this year (105 spec, which is one above tiagra) and am very happy with it. Great bike!
Bought it at Bow Cycle, and the sales rep (doug) did a basic fit.
Ive gone in this store several times, and even on their busiest of days have shown excellant customer service.
Bow Cycle is the best in the city in my books.

Yeah Bow is one of the biggest stores in Canada. On a busy day they have 20 sales people on the floor. And they have 4-5x the inventory of most other stores.

I was at Canary Cycles in St John's during a business trip and they knew the same guys from Bow that I know.

D. Dub
07-14-2009, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by trevh
Ridley's Cycle is the best store to buy anything bike related, see Cassandra or Rob.

+1

I've known the owner Ron, for a number of years -- he hires good people and they treat customers well.

Originally posted by scary_perry

Yeah Bow is one of the biggest stores in Canada. On a busy day they have 20 sales people on the floor. And they have 4-5x the inventory of most other stores.

I've found the opposite at Bow -- since they've grown so big it's become an impersonal Walmart kind of experience -- meanwhile the prices really haven't gotten any cheaper.

swak
07-14-2009, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by D. Dub

I've found the opposite at Bow -- since they've grown so big it's become an impersonal Walmart kind of experience -- meanwhile the prices really haven't gotten any cheaper.

A little bit yeah. But their service is still pretty good considering.
For a personal feel to the service Roy and Almeda at Eurotech have treated me the best by far.

urban.one
07-14-2009, 10:01 AM
Dont buy a bike in the first store you go to. Go to a few and see where you get a better vibe or where you find a bike you like that others dont sell.

Cycling is somewhat of an elitist sports with a lot of snobs so some smaller shops can come across as being arrogant and treating you like an outsider. So dont get offended if someone turns their nose up at you.

USED1
07-14-2009, 02:31 PM
I've shopped exclusively at Ridley's and have nothing but good things to say. Their service department is amazing and their sales staff is just as good. :thumbsup:

scary_perry
07-14-2009, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by D. Dub

+1

I've known the owner Ron, for a number of years -- he hires good people and they treat customers well.

It might different when you have bought a few bikes there and a couple of guys know you. I always send my pals to see Kurt, they usually get the royal treatment (and a new bike).

Prices at all stores in Calgary suck. But if you know what stuff is worth it never hurts to ask for a break. The worst they can say is no.

I've bought parts & stuff from just about every shop in town and the only bad experience was at Cyclepath South.

These days when I need something I just grab it at the first store that has what I need in stock.

Super_Geo
07-19-2009, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the advice guys! Had a pretty hectic Saturday of driving around to bike shops but I walked away with a purchase, and managed to squeeze a ride in as well!

I started off at Bow Cycle and test rode the Cannondale Six Carbon ($2300, full carbon, 105 shifter+front derailer, ultegra rear derailer, Tektro brakes) and it was pretty solid! Way better than the bike I had been borrowing for rides this year. I followed it up with a Cannondale CAAD9 5C ($1500, aluminum frame, carbon fork+seat post, 105 components, Tektro brakes) and it felt very similar to the Six Carbon, only a bit bumpier. I couldn't really notice a huge difference between the components as I was only on both bikes for 10 minutes each.

Next stop, Calgary Cycle... pretty much the other end of the spectrum from Bow Cycle (really small shop, only really had Trek bikes). So I tried out a Madone 4.5 ($2300, full carbon, 105 components + ultegra derailer, Tektro brakes) First off... this was a really sexy bike! Looked heads and shoulders better than the Cannondale, but I wish I had them side by side so I could compare the ride. The Trek felt different from the Cannondale, but I don't know if it was better or worse.

Final stop, The Bike Shop. Talked to the sales guy and he told me they had a sale on the Rocky Mountain Prestige bikes. He told me the Prestige 50CR was on sale from $2,400 to $2,150. He goes downstairs to see if they have it in my size, I do a quick google search on my phone and his story checks out... the bike sells online for ~$2,400USD.

I took the 50CR out for a test ride and I like it immediately. It was full carbon, Ultegra shifters and rear derailer, FSA brakes and crank, and Shimano RS10 wheel set. It had better components than the Cannondale and Trek, was $150 cheaper, and I liked the ride... This one was a keeper.

Remembering what urban.one said about not paying sticker, I came back and put on my best 'eh, it was ok, not great' face and asked him if he was firm on the price. He said that he could maybe do no tax... I told him if he could do $2,100 all-in we'd have a deal. He thought about it for a second and then agreed!

I still needed to buy pedals, but didn't want to buy clipless pedals yet until I got comfortable with the bike, so he just threw in some generic normal pedals for free. $2,100 on the Visa later and I had a bike! :thumbsup:

http://www.filipsport.com/images/rockymountain/2008_prestige50cr.jpg

I went for an easy 20km ride along the Bow River bike path as soon as I got home, I'm pretty stoked about the purchase and I'm loving the bike.

Thanks for all the advice guys, can't wait to really put the bike through its paces!

scary_perry
07-19-2009, 08:52 PM
Have fun! Nice bike!

I was shopping for a bike for my wife and a cross bike for me. I might have seen you - are you a 5'6" Asian dude? Were you test riding that Rocky yesterday at about 3 PM?

98type_r
07-20-2009, 02:16 PM
congrats on the purchase, I've always been a fan of the Rocky Mountain bikes.
Next step: get off the pathways and get some mileage in.
:thumbsup:

snoop101
07-23-2009, 10:33 AM
Took me a bit to find a road bike that I liked that wasent to expensive. I bought mine at Pure cycle in the SW. Family run and there good guys. really nice and not into just a quick sale. I ended up with a Scott and love it.

Kritafo
07-23-2009, 11:39 AM
Nice choice. We have 2 Rocky Mountain's out our house but they are Mountain bikes. Enjoy they are a great bike!

Get on the road, pray for no saddle sores!

trevh
07-23-2009, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by snoop101
Took me a bit to find a road bike that I liked that wasent to expensive. I bought mine at Pure cycle in the SW. Family run and there good guys. really nice and not into just a quick sale. I ended up with a Scott and love it.

I'm an avid cyclist, I have gone in to pure cycle a few times with no luck at all to buy anything. The location is great! The selection is terrible, service is just as bad.

scary_perry
07-23-2009, 06:25 PM
I found Pure to be OK - they are affiliated with Calgary Cycle.

I wanted to buy a bike from them this year but I keep finding stuff I like better elsewhere.

Needed a commuter bike, they had none in stock. Bought Brodie at Pedalhead.

needed a road bike. Went to Pure, liked the Trek 1.5 double, but found a Santa Cruz Roadster at a bike shop in St John's for less (with waaaay better spec).

Needed a ladies MTB, they had none left. Bought a GF Marlin at Lifesport.

Needed a CX bike, I am embarrassed to show my face at Pure, went straight to Pedalhead and got a Giant TCX 2.

copynpaste
07-24-2009, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by trevh

I thought Tuxedo is the best in the city, no?

redline
07-24-2009, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by copynpaste

:rofl:

I got all 5 of my bikes at Calgary Cycle but shop in the in city!!!

copynpaste
07-24-2009, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by redline

:rofl:

I got all 5 of my bikes at Calgary Cycle but shop in the in city!!!

So I guess Tuxedo is a bad place to buy from? Anyways, I just bought a new bike, picked it up at Ridleys in Kensington just now. Trek $570. Didnt want to spend too much.

Added a lock, bell, water bottle holder and maybe some gloves, handle bar extensions and a speedometer (even though I dont really need them ha).

is a speedometer, extensions or bike gloves really needed?

Speedometers are $50 and up
Bar exts are $70 and up
Bike gloves are $30 and up.

Damn it adds up. What should I get?

scary_perry
07-25-2009, 12:30 AM
If you have an iPhone get Runkeeper (free or $10 for pro).

It gives you most the features of a Garmin GPS but with an awesome automatic online diary (with facebook and twitter support).

swak
07-29-2009, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by copynpaste

Tuxedo sells hockey gear.
This is what they are known for. Not bikes (Same with B&P)

If you want a good bike, buy it from an actual Bike Shop that deals with nothing but bicycles.