PDA

View Full Version : International Wire Transfers, best bank?

eblend
07-13-2009, 01:28 PM
Hi everyone,

I am thinking of creating a new bank account to be used primerary for savings and then wireing over to Japan.

Which bank offers the best rate for sending money? I looked at PC financial and they charge 30 bucks + wire cost, which comes out to about 65 bucks. Anyone know any other banks that do it cheaper or is this pretty much standard?

Also, if I were to buy a house cash, would PC financial work alright for this purpose. I don't know how the money is transfered from me to the owner of a house. I know the lawer takes care of all of that, but what do I have to do? Do I have to take out the draft for the full amount and then give it to the lawer to give to the house owner or what? I am concerned with my primary bank being PC and having to do the above since there isn't a branch to really go into.

Also, I know that Canadian Government warrants accounts up to 100k if the bank goes belly up, is that per account or per person at the bank? If I have 4 savings accounts under my name, is that 100k per account protection or per person?

Thanks

yellowsnow
07-13-2009, 02:44 PM
I know TD charges $30 flat for any amount less than $10k. $50 for $10k-$50k, and $80 for $50k+. Probably similiar to most major banks.

you can order bank drafts with PC financial... you just have to wait a week or something stupid. i'm sure you need to prepare a bank draft for your lawyers if you're buying a house.

I believe you're only protected with 1 savings account, but correct me if i'm wrong.

Celica TVS3
07-13-2009, 02:53 PM
Don't quote me on this but I belive its $100k per bank.

Also, i got a bank draft or money order from PC financial (>$100k for ~$14.00). They have you pick the cheque from a CIBC branch of your choice.