PDA

View Full Version : Classic Project Cars

flipstah
07-13-2009, 03:33 PM
Hey everybody!

My father is looking for a car to restore but he's quite picky and only wants to restore classics such as 70's Mustangs, Corvettes, old Fiats... We went to various junkyards and found a hoard of Civics to his dismay. I tried to convince him that VTEC will be a hit with the young kids but he just laughed and ridiculed my poor taste in cars to my dismay.

I'm just wondering if there are places in Calgary (or along Alberta) that would have collections of old classic cars that need restoration? Simple engine rebuild and aesthetic fixes would be a preferred project car but a car that requires heavy work would be nice too.

Any help would do so thanks a lot if you can! :thumbsup:

sputnik
07-13-2009, 03:45 PM
You won't find old cars like that in any junkyard in Calgary. Anything worth restoring that doesn't need much work will be tucked away in someones garage or barn.

There are a few junkyards around Alberta with classic cars but most require a LOT more work that it sounds like your father is up for.

Also, your father is right. A VTEC will never as popular or sought after than a car from the 30s through 60s.

flipstah
07-13-2009, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
You won't find old cars like that in any junkyard in Calgary. Anything worth restoring that doesn't need much work will be tucked away in someones garage or barn.

There are a few junkyards around Alberta with classic cars but most require a LOT more work that it sounds like your father is up for.

Also, your father is right. A VTEC will never as popular or sought after than a car from the 30s through 60s.

Hm... Now how does one start this journey? Start hitting on the farmer's daughter for info or something? :rofl:

And yes, I would love to drive a retro car than a Civic.

http://www.zclubhungary.hu/image/Racing/Stingray.jpg

I have finally seen the light! :thumbsup: :drool:

Bizzareo
07-13-2009, 03:50 PM
Kijji's classic cars section, other forums. etc

sputnik
07-13-2009, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
Hm... Now how does one start this journey? Start hitting on the farmer's daughter for info or something? :rofl:

Start going to car shows and talk to people in the hobby. Figure out what genre of cars you are actually in to.

There are tons of different areas of "classic cars" out there and everybody seems to hang out in different groups.

- RatRod/RetroRod guys (like The Diablos in town... building cars to drive them hard usually using vintage aftermarket parts)
- GoldChainers/StreetRodders (tend to build cars out of a catalog with lots of ugly billet... usually older guys with lots of money)
- Restorers (hardcore restoration guys looking for the perfect factory specs... these guys usually have even MORE money than the Goldchainers or a TON of NOS parts in a garage)
- Muscle car guys (usually into muscle cars from 1960-1972)
- European guys (into Jags, MGs, Ferraris, AustinHealeys, Minis, VW, BMW, Mercedes etc)

Come up with a car you really like and start scouring the countryside looking for a project to start with. Sites like Kijiji and eBay are ok. However you often find TONS of overpriced crap. Checking out forums or going to swap meets is generally a better bet.

I am personally into the 30s-50s retro rod styles. So I am often on the HAMB (www.jalopyjournal.com) looking for parts and help with my 1936 Ford Coupe. I also usually make a trip to WA or OR every so often to check out the latest shows and swap meets.

Good luck.

flipstah
07-13-2009, 04:06 PM

Start going to car shows and talk to people in the hobby. Figure out what genre of cars you are actually in to.

There are tons of different areas of "classic cars" out there and everybody seems to hang out in different groups.

- RatRod/RetroRod guys (like The Diablos in town... building cars to drive them hard usually using vintage aftermarket parts)
- GoldChainers/StreetRodders (tend to build cars out of a catalog with lots of ugly billet... usually older guys with lots of money)
- Restorers (hardcore restoration guys looking for the perfect factory specs... these guys usually have even MORE money than the Goldchainers or a TON of NOS parts in a garage)
- Muscle car guys (usually into muscle cars from 1960-1972)
- European guys (into Jags, MGs, Ferraris, AustinHealeys, Minis, VW, BMW, Mercedes etc)

Come up with a car you really like and start scouring the countryside looking for a project to start with. Sites like Kijiji and eBay are ok. However you often find TONS of overpriced crap. Checking out forums or going to swap meets is generally a better bet.

I am personally into the 30s-50s retro rod styles. So I am often on the HAMB (www.jalopyjournal.com) looking for parts and help with my 1936 Ford Coupe. I also usually make a trip to WA or OR every so often to check out the latest shows and swap meets.

Good luck.

Thanks! The good part is that my dad isn't picky and loves all classic cars. As long as he can restore it and he likes it, it's all good! Actually, he seems to be the 'hardcore' restorer guy because he likes everything OEM.

I shall check out the possible routes and see what transpires. :thumbsup:

anothers10
07-13-2009, 04:16 PM
http://edsprojectcars.com/project_cars_for_sale.htm

http://www.callingallcars.ca/

flipstah
07-13-2009, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by anothers10
http://edsprojectcars.com/project_cars_for_sale.htm

http://www.callingallcars.ca/

:clap: Goldmine. Thanks! :thumbsup:

sputnik
07-13-2009, 04:21 PM
Try this yard near Edmonton.

www.kustomking.net

anothers10
07-13-2009, 04:33 PM

www.kustomking.net

Wow, really cool iron in that yard

flipstah
07-13-2009, 04:34 PM

www.kustomking.net

Sweet! So far, Kustom King and CallingAllCars.ca has some cars in their inventory that my dad would like and assuming that shipping doesn't cost more than the car itself, CallingAllCars would be a nice buy.

Are there shops similar to the ones above but a bit closer to Calgary? Like Airdrie or Okotoks or something?

Moe Man
07-13-2009, 04:36 PM
Kijiji is the best thing, lots of really good deals.

Stinky Mcpete
07-13-2009, 05:14 PM
http://www.perrysprojectcars.com/

and if you like camaros

http://www.davidt.com/

GorG
07-13-2009, 05:23 PM
try this guy on kijiji

3000 and under click here (http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-3000-00-and-under-W0QQAdIdZ133635461)

have many collector vehicles of various makes and models, and all are fun projects. There are as follows :
'53 Chev w/ v-8 installed '62 Corvair 2 door '73 Charger
75 Lemans coupe '64 Thunderbird '59 Pontiac Parisienne 2 dr htp.
'50 Chev Fastback '47 Buick Special '60 Monarch Lucerne
'56 Chrysler Windsor '47 Chrysler Windsor Royale 85/95 Astro Vans
'64 Chrysler Windsor '86 Fiero '59 Pontiac Laurentian 85 S-10 Blazer 2 wd
'59 Thames Freighter van '70 Sunbeam Alpine GT '69 Sunbeam Alpine GT
'64 Mercedes 200 '71 Mercedes 280 '73 Mercedes 280 SEL 4.5
'72 GMC 1/2 ton '70 Chev 1/2 ton '50 Chev 1 ton '57 Chev Bel Aire
'64 Humber Super Snipe '59 BMW Isetta '57 Prefect 2 dr.
'88 Chev 3/4 ton flat deck '80 Dodge shortie van '85 Cutlass 2 dr
'84 Cadillac Fltwd Brgm '85 Cadillac Fltwd fwd '93 Jeep Cherokee
'47 Case LA tractor '65 Daimler hemi 2.5 v-8
I probably missed some, but they ALL have to go, so come and buy multiples for a package deal. I will also trade multiples for an interesting vehicle, so try your ideas on me.

anothers10
07-13-2009, 06:28 PM
hey sputnik any pictures of your coupe ?

flipstah
07-13-2009, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by anothers10
hey sputnik any pictures of your coupe ?

+1. I'm quite interested with your craftmanship good sir.

Graham_A_M
07-13-2009, 10:00 PM
LOL @ your suggestion on a civic. :rofl: :rofl: :nut:
I can't believe you were serious. :banghead:

If you want some wicked deals, go down to Billings Montana (and area). When I drove up there are just HORDES of cars & trucks from the 1940's and up. Lots of them sitting off some fairly well known highways, I was quite surprised to see.
Also, go spend a few days staking out farms in central Alberta & all of Saskatchewan (but mainly Sask). Most farmers will be happy for you to tow the old clunker out of their farmyard.

Thats how I found my free '38 Chevy. Ran and drove in a few short hours of working on it. :dunno:
Lots of farmers have some very collectable cars too that are just sitting there. A neighboor at my dads farm has a 1972 Trans am 455 w/shaker hood sitting in his junkyard:dunno:
also check out www.oldcarcity.com

Or go to any newstand that sells the autotrader, and check out the "Antique car and truck trader".

Forget about finding cars and trucks from the '30's though, they're quite rare, and what few ones there are out there are either very pricey or very imcomplete/basketcases

cityhunter2501
07-13-2009, 10:03 PM
might be just me, but I would love to restore a Datsun 240z or a mazda FC rx7:rofl:

flipstah
07-13-2009, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
LOL @ your suggestion on a civic. :rofl: :rofl: :nut:
I can't believe you were serious. :banghead:

Lawlz. Don't remind me. My dad gave me the 'WTF' look and laughed his ass off. Good day for him. :rofl:

[B]
If you want some wicked deals, go down to Billings Montana (and area). When I drove up there are just HORDES of cars & trucks from the 1940's and up. Lots of them sitting off some fairly well known highways, I was quite surprised to see.
Also, go spend a few days staking out farms in central Alberta & all of Saskatchewan (but mainly Sask). Most farmers will be happy for you to tow the old clunker out of their farmyard.

Forget about finding cars and trucks from the '30's though, they're quite rare, and what few ones there are out there are either very pricey or very imcomplete/basketcases

Now for that, how am I gonna get it across the border if it's all junk? Also, wouldn't registration be a pain in the butt if it turns out to have a 'salvage' title?

Originally posted by GorG
try this guy on kijiji

3000 and under click here (http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-3000-00-and-under-W0QQAdIdZ133635461)

have many collector vehicles of various makes and models, and all are fun projects. There are as follows :
'53 Chev w/ v-8 installed '62 Corvair 2 door '73 Charger
75 Lemans coupe '64 Thunderbird '59 Pontiac Parisienne 2 dr htp.
'50 Chev Fastback '47 Buick Special '60 Monarch Lucerne
'56 Chrysler Windsor '47 Chrysler Windsor Royale 85/95 Astro Vans
'64 Chrysler Windsor '86 Fiero '59 Pontiac Laurentian 85 S-10 Blazer 2 wd
'59 Thames Freighter van '70 Sunbeam Alpine GT '69 Sunbeam Alpine GT
'64 Mercedes 200 '71 Mercedes 280 '73 Mercedes 280 SEL 4.5
'72 GMC 1/2 ton '70 Chev 1/2 ton '50 Chev 1 ton '57 Chev Bel Aire
'64 Humber Super Snipe '59 BMW Isetta '57 Prefect 2 dr.
'88 Chev 3/4 ton flat deck '80 Dodge shortie van '85 Cutlass 2 dr
'84 Cadillac Fltwd Brgm '85 Cadillac Fltwd fwd '93 Jeep Cherokee
'47 Case LA tractor '65 Daimler hemi 2.5 v-8
I probably missed some, but they ALL have to go, so come and buy multiples for a package deal. I will also trade multiples for an interesting vehicle, so try your ideas on me.

Now I emailed him and he has a sweet deal on one of the cars. One thing that caught my eye was that he didn't have the keys for it. :dunno:

Should that be a sign for 'AVOID MOTHERFUCKA!' ?

Graham_A_M
07-13-2009, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

Now for that, how am I gonna get it across the border if it's all junk? Also, wouldn't registration be a pain in the butt if it turns out to have a 'salvage' title?

I dont think that applies to cars of that age. I forget the loopholes around it but most classic cars are from an era long before any "salvage titles" existed. I've seen COUNTLESS people bring unrestored classic cars & trucks through our borders without a problem. I never investigated it further but its no biggie.
With that "kustom king" or whatever the URL is, that looks very promising. Located in Spruce Grove too, which is really convenient. I just hope they dont charge a mint for a number 5 or 6 condition wreck. :( Another venue worth looking into would be the Remington museum, located in Wetaskwin. They are a classic machinery & automotive museum with quite a stash of unrestored cars sitting in a HUGE lot just east of the museum. They sell complete (unrestored) cars too I know.

Just please advise your dad that only a relatively small percentage of people that embark on hotrodding or restoring a classic car ever finish their projects. Which is why you'll encounter so many project cars that are sold "unfinished". If he does at least MOST of the work himself, he can count on spending several thousands of hours doing a semi-decent to a decent job on it.
If he doesn't have that time then he can count on paying someone else $30-80k to do all that work FOR him.
It requires an absolutely huge commitment in terms of space, time, money and resources. When the steering column on a (lets say) 1955 Cadillac Desoto requires replacing: it'll have to be located (which can get VERY costly and time consuming) or he'll have to have one made, which is also very costly. Most people dont have that sort of time or commitment, so keep that in mind when searching for a suitable car, and dont rush into a project without knowing exactly what will be required to properly finish it to his level of expectation. ;)

flipstah
07-13-2009, 10:34 PM

I dont think that applies to cars of that age. I forget the loopholes around it but most classic cars are from an era long before any "salvage titles" existed. I've seen COUNTLESS people bring unrestored classic cars & trucks through our borders without a problem. I never investigated it further but its no biggie.
With that "kustom king" or whatever the URL is, that looks very promising. Located in Spruce Grove too, which is really convenient. I just hope they dont charge a mint for a number 5 or 6 condition wreck. :( Another venue worth looking into would be the Remington museum, located in Wetaskwin. They are a classic machinery & automotive museum with quite a stash of unrestored cars sitting in a HUGE lot just east of the museum. They sell complete (unrestored) cars too I know.

Just please advise your dad that only a relatively small percentage of people that embark on hotrodding or restoring a classic car ever finish their projects. Which is why you'll encounter so many project cars that are sold "unfinished". If he does at least MOST of the work himself, he can count on spending several thousands of hours doing a semi-decent to a decent job on it.
If he doesn't have that time then he can count on paying someone else $30-80k to do all that work FOR him.
It requires an absolutely huge commitment in terms of space, time, money and resources. When the steering column on a (lets say) 1955 Cadillac Desoto requires replacing: it'll have to be located (which can get VERY costly and time consuming) or he'll have to have one made, which is also very costly. Most people dont have that sort of time or commitment, so keep that in mind when searching for a suitable car, and dont rush into a project without knowing exactly what will be required to properly finish it to his level of expectation. ;)

Oh for sure. Hence my father advised me to look for cars that will be sorta easy to find parts for, such as Beetles, Corvettes...

He doesn't really care what car it is, so long as he can do it. Nothing TOO old like a Model T, though that would be neat to drive. Also a bitch since it has a crank starter. We're spoiled. :rofl:

I'll give this Remington Museum a call and see what happens.

2EFNFAST
07-13-2009, 10:36 PM
restore a pantera :drool:

flipstah
07-13-2009, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
restore a pantera :drool:

http://www.panteracars.com/kh242009home.jpg

:drool: :burnout:

hampstor
07-13-2009, 10:44 PM
www.hemmings.com is an amazing marketplace site for collectors and classics. I've been on there on / off looking for a 240z ..

Gibson
07-14-2009, 03:17 AM
+1 on the "I bought this so I could never finish it."

My dad has a 1975 Fiat 124 Sport Spider sitting in the garage doing nothing....:cry:

Arthur Dent
07-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Kijiji is a really good way to go. For old European try: http://vsccc.ca/classif/classif.htm

I have an old '62 Beetle if that interests him.

flipstah
07-14-2009, 08:10 PM
Jeez, my dad has expensive taste:

- Fiat convertibles (#2)
- 1973 Mitsubishi Lancer L-Type (his first car.)
- Camaro
- Corvette
- Mustang Fastback
- Austin Mini Cooper (#1)

:nut:

Graham_A_M
07-14-2009, 10:09 PM
Hmm.... I know of tons of other cars too. The same farmer that also has that '72 Trans am also has a Model A body, a '51 mercury, a BUNCH of trucks from the 40's-60's and other cool shit.
TONS of trucks in and around Southern Sask from the 40's-50's. I can think of about 20 nice ones off the top of my head. You just need to know where to look.

Another suggestion I'd make is for you dad to make a "notice"/flyer (if you will) that hes looking for a certain type of car to hotrod or restore. Then have Canada post send those "flyers" to whatever communities in and around Rural Sask and Alberta. I'll bet he'd get a tremendous response from farmers that would be quite eager for him to come by and take whatever (kind & model) of cars from their yards.
Thats what I'd do. I've seen some guys do that to end up with some VERY desirable cars that way. You'd be surprised what lurks in some farmer's/rancher's barns just waiting to be found.;)

oh yeah, there is a original Mini cooper sitting under a tarp near my house. I can give you the addy of where its at and you can call them if you want. Its an original LHD one. Body seems to be in great shape.