PDA

View Full Version : how to measure lenghts in digital photos

nonlinear
07-13-2009, 06:39 PM
what is the best method for measuring length in a digital photograph? At first I was going to just put a ruler in each picture, but it turns out that I can't see the increments very well. and then I recall someone telling me that this could be done in autocad, and i'm sure there are other software packages out there that permit this as well. I am taking frames from videos, and have a lot of experimetns, so this is going to be thousands of pictures I have to measure.

I don't have autocad, but I do have adobe illustrator and corel draw. the simpler the better, though.

thanks!

4DoorGTZ
07-13-2009, 09:44 PM
As long as there is something in the picture that is of a known length you can just make your own scale for each photo via the pixel locations, then translate that to the distance you want to know. Could be tedious though if your thousands of pics arent of the same scale and you have to do the calcs for each an every one.

I used this to extrapolate google maps satelite images of the calgary area into real distances for use in creating a SimCity 4 version of Calgary.

nonlinear
07-13-2009, 10:13 PM
^^thanks man! did some googling though and found a free program called ImageJ which should work well. just thought that someone may know right off the bat and save me an hour or so of trying different things haha.

sexualbanana
07-13-2009, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by 4DoorGTZ

I used this to extrapolate google maps satelite images of the calgary area into real distances for use in creating a SimCity 4 version of Calgary.

Really???

4DoorGTZ
07-14-2009, 12:05 AM
Yeah, I tried.... Didnt have the patience to make it work. If you search over at the Simtropolis site someone did that with Edmonton..... spent 3+years and updated along the way. Way more time then I could have spent.

95EagleAWD
07-14-2009, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by 4DoorGTZ
Yeah, I tried.... Didnt have the patience to make it work. If you search over at the Simtropolis site someone did that with Edmonton..... spent 3+years and updated along the way. Way more time then I could have spent.

Yeah, that guy's Edmonton is simply UNREAL.

Here's his SimCity version. Sorry for the HUGE picture, but it really shows the detail.

http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/7867/cityedmlroad0mm.jpg