PDA

View Full Version : 3 Internet Questions

2BLUE
07-13-2009, 10:02 PM
Are there any 3rd party companies out there offering internet for travelling people with their laptops?

I would like to make my car wifi and everywhere I go i have wifi is this possible?

Do you have to be in cell service to get internet service? I was looking at a bell card but all the internet service areas are only where the cell phone service is..

Disoblige
07-13-2009, 10:07 PM
Unfortunately that's the only technology available if you want Wi-Fi EVERYWHERE, and even then it will cost you lots of money from contracts from Telus, Rogers, or Bell. That and you'll get internet anywhere there is cell phone reception only.

This won't really apply to you but you can buy pre-paid Internet Wifi cards, one of them namely FatPort but depending where you travel, not a lot of establishments have FatPort services. In Calgary for example, only Joeys and Earls have it.. Sucks.

2BLUE
07-13-2009, 10:22 PM
I was looking into satellite internet options which they say are 90% around the globe any ideas on that option?

Grogador
07-13-2009, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by 2BLUE
I was looking into satellite internet options which they say are 90% around the globe any ideas on that option?

Would work but it's high latency (takes 500ms for the signal to go up n down) which affects download speeds and renders it useless for realtime gaming, among other things. You couldn't use it while driving, since the dish has to be precisely aimed. Also, you'll look like a friggin dork with a satellite dish on the roof of your car :P

Personally I'd stick with a beefy harddrive for pre-loading maps and media, then just hunt down some WiFi or cell service to sync up or download whatever. You can even go hardcore with directional antennas and amplifiers for the cellular service and wireless, which will increase your range dramatically. As a bonus, antennas in the 1.8 and 2.4GHz range are relatively small, so you might look like less of a dork :)

As far as cell service goes, get a phone from the USA with a unlimited international data plan that allows tethering. Actually I'm not sure about the tethering part. Probably still waaaay cheaper than the assrape we're offered up here.

Disoblige
07-13-2009, 10:32 PM
Oh yes, must make sure data plan is unlimited. You will get super fucked if you go over, and the problem with these rocket sticks or whatever from Roger, Telus, etc is that you don't really know how much you're downloading. You could watch a movie on Youtube, where video and sound takes up lots of bandwidth which could cost you lots.

2BLUE
07-13-2009, 11:46 PM
Alright guys thanks for the awnsers.

I remember someone on beyond responding to a thread while he was driving through the usa. I just found that to be sweet!

G-ZUS
07-13-2009, 11:49 PM
what about that rogers stick

Boat
07-14-2009, 12:14 AM
What you are looking for is a aircard and you would be paying out the as for service like that.

4DoorGTZ
07-14-2009, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by 2BLUE
Alright guys thanks for the awnsers.

I remember someone on beyond responding to a thread while he was driving through the usa. I just found that to be sweet!

That was Rage2, wifi router in the car that accepted a cell card/stick/whatever as the WAN input and created a LAN in the immediate are of the car. Cell phone signal, no smoke and mirrors.

2BLUE
07-14-2009, 12:37 AM
So it is possible?

Disoblige
07-14-2009, 12:42 AM
:facepalm: Yes, we explained that you need to purchase a aircard, whether it be from Telus, Roger's Rocketstick, or from Bell, other phone providers etc.

The service is based on cell phone towers, so anywhere that has a reception can give you the service. You just need to sign a plan with the provider. :banghead:

2BLUE
07-14-2009, 09:21 AM
Thanks alot.

I will be doing this today.

benyl
07-14-2009, 09:54 AM
Why? You can just tether off an iPhone or the like.

Mar
07-14-2009, 10:21 AM
1. Use a phone via Bluetooth as a modem to hook to the internet.
2. Use a dedicated phone on dialup tethered via USB.
3. If you'll be in major cities, use a Wi-Fi dongle and a war driving program that automatically connects to any unsecure wireless connections available. You should be able to get all the way through downtown hopping from connection to connection. And probably most residential areas.
4. There are boxes that allow you to pick up Wi-Fi signals a kilometre away but they're about $150 and should work in your car. This is what I want to get.
5. Rogers offers Wi-Max which will get you exactly what you want at about $40 per month.
6. Get an air card like people mentioned.