PDA

View Full Version : Belgian waffles

Daxin
07-13-2009, 10:45 PM
I am looking for a really good place that serves Belgium Waffles. It could be in Calgary or in surrounding areas. A fancy or upscale. Don't care.

Thanx

sputnik
07-14-2009, 07:41 AM
Belgian Waffles

mac_82
07-14-2009, 07:57 AM
Are you talking about the Americanized version or the Liège waffles?

Liège waffles FTW.

Kritafo
07-14-2009, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by mac_82

Liège waffles FTW.

ahh your killing me now...I may have to make some this morning....they are so much better than other waffles loved them sprinkled with cinnamon.

toyboy88
07-14-2009, 12:12 PM
De Dutch Pannoeke House is pretty good for non-americanized versions.

Kritafo
07-14-2009, 02:09 PM
http://manuellatruwe.com/about/index.html has Belgian waffles, haven't tried them heard they were really good.

Daxin
07-16-2009, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by mac_82

Liège waffles FTW.

What is the difference?

toyboy88
07-16-2009, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Daxin

What is the difference?

Americanized = "eggo" style waffles.

Authentic Belgium ones = thinner, also like crepes, usually topped with icing sugar right off the cooker

scboss
07-20-2009, 02:14 AM
Do they have a similar taste to those regular ice cream cones?

Numi
07-20-2009, 03:17 AM
Belgium waffles are the shit. My mom makes them all the time. There huge the size of a dinner plate. http://janetishungry.blogspot.com/2007/07/belgian-waffles.html

mac_82
07-20-2009, 06:02 AM
Ones of the left you put toppings on. Ones on the right are liege and you eat plain. They are so good you don't need to put anything on them.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/69/Gaufre_liege_2.jpg

Kritafo
07-20-2009, 10:15 AM
once upon a time Costco had a liege style waffle they came plain or vanilla/cinnamon. That was at least 10 years ago, they were fantastic they had those big chunks of sugar.

Gosh in Europe you can buy them from street vendors plain or dipped in chocolate.

These are the two recipes that I make that have made their rounds over the internet. The most important part is the waffle maker, and that is a personal choice which is better. I have the waring pro I bought in the states, I took back a Krups and the all Clad because they weren't very good.

I do keep a Superstore no-name version waffle maker for the think eggo type waffles.

Brussels Waffles - Gaufre de Bruxelles

Ingredients:
2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
3 cups warm milk, divided use
3 large eggs, separated
3/4 cup butter, melted and cooled to lukewarm
1/3 cup white sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 cups all-purpose flour

Directions:
1) In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm milk. Let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.
2) In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, 1/4 cup of reserved warm milk and melted butter.
3) Stir in yeast mixture, sugar, salt and vanilla. Stir in remaining 2 1/2 cups milk alternately with flour, ending with the flour.
4) Beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks; fold into batter. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
5) Preheat waffle iron. Brush with oil and spoon about 1/3 to 1/2 cup (or as recommended by manufacturer) inside edges of iron. Close lid and bake until steam no longer escapes from iron and waffle is golden brown. Serve immediately or keep warm in 200 degree oven. Yield: 8 waffles.

Liege Waffles - Gaufre de Liège

Ingredients:
Sponge
4-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1-1/3 cups warm milk
1-3/4 cups flour
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 egg lightly beaten
Batter
9 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
3/4 cup pearl sugar (see above)
Extra flour (for sprinkling)

For Pearl sugar you can just break up sugar cubes. Sometimes they have it at Ikea.

bignerd
07-21-2009, 12:58 AM
Yes the ones from costco were good, heat up in a toaster a little bit and eat. Didn't need anything on them.

JordanEG6
07-21-2009, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Kritafo
once upon a time Costco had a liege style waffle they came plain or vanilla/cinnamon. That was at least 10 years ago, they were fantastic they had those big chunks of sugar.

Gosh in Europe you can buy them from street vendors plain or dipped in chocolate.

These are the two recipes that I make that have made their rounds over the internet. The most important part is the waffle maker, and that is a personal choice which is better. I have the waring pro I bought in the states, I took back a Krups and the all Clad because they weren't very good.

I do keep a Superstore no-name version waffle maker for the think eggo type waffles.

Brussels Waffles - Gaufre de Bruxelles

Ingredients:
2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
3 cups warm milk, divided use
3 large eggs, separated
3/4 cup butter, melted and cooled to lukewarm
1/3 cup white sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 cups all-purpose flour

Directions:
1) In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm milk. Let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.
2) In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, 1/4 cup of reserved warm milk and melted butter.
3) Stir in yeast mixture, sugar, salt and vanilla. Stir in remaining 2 1/2 cups milk alternately with flour, ending with the flour.
4) Beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks; fold into batter. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
5) Preheat waffle iron. Brush with oil and spoon about 1/3 to 1/2 cup (or as recommended by manufacturer) inside edges of iron. Close lid and bake until steam no longer escapes from iron and waffle is golden brown. Serve immediately or keep warm in 200 degree oven. Yield: 8 waffles.

Liege Waffles - Gaufre de Liège

Ingredients:
Sponge
4-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1-1/3 cups warm milk
1-3/4 cups flour
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 egg lightly beaten
Batter
9 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
3/4 cup pearl sugar (see above)
Extra flour (for sprinkling)

For Pearl sugar you can just break up sugar cubes. Sometimes they have it at Ikea.

Nice! I wanna try this.

Can you buy the waffle maker in Canada? Or what else is a good one that will suffice?

Kritafo
07-21-2009, 09:04 AM
I bought our in the states but there are some good waffle makers on the market.

Just went to the Canadian website and this is the link for Canadian Retailers. There is lots which I didn't know when I bought ours. Like I said it's all personal choice on brands and like with everything you can spent $20 - $1000

http://www.waringproducts.ca/en/retailers.php

Kritafo
07-21-2009, 09:09 AM
I bought our in the states but there are some good waffle makers on the market.

Just went to the Canadian website and this is the link for Canadian Retailers. There is lots which I didn't know when I bought ours. Like I said it's all personal choice on brands and like with everything you can spent $20 - $1000

http://www.waringproducts.ca/en/retailers.php

They do appear to have the Waring Pro at London Drugs, and the Wolfgang Puck Baker looks pretty good for $79.00

clem24
07-28-2009, 11:27 AM
You guys work way too hard.

I have 4 letters.

E-G-G-O!

Just had their cinnamon variety and it's actually quite good!

JordanEG6
07-28-2009, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by clem24
You guys work way too hard.

I have 4 letters.

E-G-G-O!

Just had their cinnamon variety and it's actually quite good!

Eggo's are garbage. LOL. I dont know how people find their 'waffles' good. It's terrible. Their pancakes suck too.

It's alll about the homemade stuff. I gotta buy me a waffle iron.

:thumbsup:

clem24
07-29-2009, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by JordanEG6
Eggo's are garbage. LOL. I dont know how people find their 'waffles' good. It's terrible. Their pancakes suck too.

I agree most of their shit sucks. The french toast sticks I remember are :barf: . I'd have to assume pancakes are worse! But I don't exactly have a waffle iron handy at the office... Anyway, I kid not. The cinnamon one I just bought is actually very good. It's good enough that I eat it plain after making it nice and crispy in the toaster.

Daxin
08-13-2009, 12:19 AM
Well, finally went to get some belgian waffles at Manuel Latrewue. The atmosphere was delightful at 10:30am but the service was just less then par. we both had Belgian waffles with strawberries and whip cream. It cost $24 and took over 30 minutes. Not sure why it took so long. Its more of a bakery then a place to dine.

littledan
08-13-2009, 01:24 AM
does anywhere sell strawberry eggo waffles anymore?? they had them in HK but i havent seen them around Canada for over a year now....

Kritafo
08-13-2009, 06:04 AM
wow $24.00 for waffles, strawberries and whipped cream.

Apparently I have to open a side business! Are they the plate size rounds or small square ones?

Daxin
08-13-2009, 07:34 AM
wow $24.00 for waffles, strawberries and whipped cream.

Apparently I have to open a side business! Are they the plate size rounds or small square ones?

The waffles were pretty small. It was square and half the size of an Eggo. The date was impressed with the taste but my wallet wasn't.