PDA

View Full Version : alternative to xbox wireless, were to get apple aiport express dt?

Crymson
07-14-2009, 11:36 AM
Hey. Does anyone know if there is a place downtown that sells apple stuff? I want to pick up and airport express?

I have one already, and it seems cheaper, and way more versitile than paying the 100$ for the xbox 360 wireless adapter. So i was thinking of getting a second airport express and attatching it to the wall behind the xbox and using the wired connection to hook up to it.

Does this sound like it'll work?

theken
07-14-2009, 11:37 AM
How much are airport expresses

djayz
07-14-2009, 11:41 AM
As far as I know the ethernet connection on the airport express is only for plugging in internet from a dsl/cable modem. This means that you can't output an internet connection from that ethernet port.

What you need is a wireless usb adapter which is basically what the 360 wireless adapter is.

dr_jared88
07-14-2009, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by djayz
As far as I know the ethernet connection on the airport express is only for plugging in internet from a dsl/cable modem. This means that you can't output an internet connection from that ethernet port.

What you need is a wireless usb adapter which is basically what the 360 wireless adapter is.

Wrong. You can use it as a Wireless Bridge with wireless routers that support bridging.

As for picking one up, Best Buy carries them.

Edit: Here is a link that shows you how to do it on a Linksys Router
http://applepedia.com/AirPort_Express_as_an_ethernet_bridge

Jeremiah
07-14-2009, 11:49 AM

wireless usb adaptors don't work on the 360

jav_
07-14-2009, 11:58 AM
get a $30 dd-wrt compatible wrt54g and set it to repeater

djayz
07-14-2009, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by dr_jared88

Wrong. You can use it as a Wireless Bridge with wireless routers that support bridging.

As for picking one up, Best Buy carries them.

Edit: Here is a link that shows you how to do it on a Linksys Router
http://applepedia.com/AirPort_Express_as_an_ethernet_bridge

Cool, good to know thanks for the link.

Originally posted by Jeremiah

wireless usb adaptors don't work on the 360

Weird, isn't the 360 wireless adapater basically a usb adapter?

Crymson
07-14-2009, 12:29 PM
Yeah, i'm aware that the xbox adapter is simply a USB bridge.

Hence the reason why i wanted the airport express to use it as a bridge. Also, my stereo is right beside the 360, so then i could use it for airtunes as well. I think they're like 100$ Wheras the xbox 360 usb bridge is probably more, and i doubt 801.11n

Also, regarding any stores downtown that sell them? Anyone know?

I know futureshope and best buy do, i just hate driving out to the burbs after work.

Zero102
07-14-2009, 02:15 PM

Weird, isn't the 360 wireless adapater basically a usb adapter?

Yes it is, but it also has a security chip in it that produces a second USB endpoint. Not a lot of published data on how it works but it is MS's way of verifying you are using legit XBOX accessories. Also, they likely only include the drivers for the specific chipset they are using in the 360 OS, so you would need to have an adapter using that exact chipset anyways.

Better to use a wireless bridge.

As for the apple one, there is a store on Centre st, just out of downtown, I forget their name but they carry apple everything.

CivicDXR
07-14-2009, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Zero102

As for the apple one, there is a store on Centre st, just out of downtown, I forget their name but they carry apple everything.

westworld computers

http://www.westworld.ca/

Disoblige
07-14-2009, 02:29 PM
London Drugs 15 Ave 8 St. All London Drugs sell computer products and sells anything on the Apple website. They will price match too, so you will always get the best price.

Crymson
07-14-2009, 02:29 PM
Is that "My Mac Dealer" or whatever the apple store knockoff on 1st st SE downtown still open?

ronaldo
07-14-2009, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by jav_
get a $30 dd-wrt compatible wrt54g and set it to repeater

i had an old router laying around..loaded dd-wrt up and hooked it up to my xbox and it works like a charm

Kardon
07-14-2009, 07:43 PM
You can also use you're wireless mac to connect the 360 IIRC. Say you run a iMac off 802.11, you can then share your connection through your ethernet port>360.