PDA

View Full Version : bird's nest soup

HaganDazs
07-14-2009, 11:55 AM
Anyone tried this stuff? Does it actually have any health benefits, or is it like all the other Chinese traditional stuff?

It is ridiculously expensive. My parents brought some back from China recently. I just can't believe they are buying into this stuff...

flipstah
07-14-2009, 11:59 AM
Mmm... Bird saliva....

:drool:

n1zm0
07-14-2009, 12:08 PM
it's more of a delicacy like sharks fin or sesame jellyfish, i personally dont believe in the health benefits part.

edit: as i said about sharks fin in another thread, i've only had them at weddings and nowhere else, you have to be baller to have that every weekend or whenever you go out for dinner. I'd also personally just have fish maw and crab soup anyways :drool:

TYMSMNY
07-14-2009, 12:14 PM
Another one is Royal Jelly = saliva/food that only gets fed to the Queen Bee.

Impreza
07-14-2009, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY
Another one is Royal Jelly = saliva/food that only gets fed to the Queen Bee.

Tastes pretty decent actually but is expensive. $250 tub will last a long time though.... I take a little more than half a teaspoon a day. Been taking it a few weeks now and it seems to be helping my ulcer/stomach issues.

almerick
07-14-2009, 01:19 PM
i think bird nest is good for immunity? my dad makes for my mom and grandma, personally i think it's gross.... oh and he bargained, not rich

Impreza
07-14-2009, 01:27 PM
With shark fin and birds nest, there are MAJOR differences in quality between the cheap stuff and the good stuff. Most of the cheaper shark fin is like separate, thin strands, whereas the nicer stuff is liek a row of attached, thick strands of shark fin. It wouldn't be very expensive to consume the cheap shark fin regularly. For birds nest, the cheap stuff are usually broken pieces or just small "nests", the big, intact nests are the baller stuff!

TYMSMNY
07-14-2009, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Impreza

Tastes pretty decent actually but is expensive. $250 tub will last a long time though.... I take a little more than half a teaspoon a day. Been taking it a few weeks now and it seems to be helping my ulcer/stomach issues.

Same. Bought a tub here in town. Probably the hardest thing to eat due to the taste. Now it's not bad after awhile but still...

Impreza
07-14-2009, 01:42 PM
^Where did you buy a tub of of the Royal Jelly and for how much? I bought it from a family friend and it doesn't even have any labels on it. Hoping to find other places that sell it.

TYMSMNY
07-14-2009, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Impreza
^Where did you buy a tub of of the Royal Jelly and for how much? I bought it from a family friend and it doesn't even have any labels on it. Hoping to find other places that sell it.

Place in Chinatown. Let me find the name. Comes frozen.

Xaroxantu Zero
07-14-2009, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by HaganDazs
Does it actually have any health benefits, or is it like all the other Chinese traditional stuff?

http://aboutbirdsnest.blogspot.com/

This is pretty much what I was told. Western doctors don't believe this as there isn't enough substantial proof. Then again, they didn't believe in Chinese medicine in the past either.