PDA

View Full Version : G37 AWD Sedan or 335xi sedan

GQNammer
07-14-2009, 01:55 PM
So looking into buying a new vehicle for the wife and we've narrowed it down to these 2 cars. We'd be getting the top package for the G37 AWD and the M package for the 335xi.

How do these 2 compare to eachother in seating comfort, driving comfort, power (city driving), reliability, maintenance + maintenance fees, cabin room.

Please don't post here and say "The 335 cuz it's
:bigpimp: " Looks don't come too much into factor here

scat19
07-14-2009, 02:01 PM
I'm biased; however, the perfomermance modifications for the 3 litre TT is amazing. The looks of this car, and the new refresh for the L.E.D rear and front indicators, the headlight update, the front bumper change, looks amazing.

335i FTW.

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezwebin_site/storage/images/reviews/hot_lists/car_shopping/entry_luxury/2009_bmw_328i_328xi_335d_335xi_335i_3_series_sedan_and_wagon_official_photos_and_info_car_news/2009_bmw_328i_328xi_335d_335xi_335i_3_series_sedan_and_wagon_official_photos_and_info/bmw3ser_knoedler_09_1/1688551-1-eng-US/bmw3ser_knoedler_09_1_gallery_image_large.jpg

You can see the new indicators, headlight, grill, bumper, and hood here. Minor changes from the 08, but to an enthusiast will notice it and it makes a HUGE difference.

Besides from the small changes this mid year refresh, I personally wouldn't select the AWD (wheel gap is bigger due to ride height), and some suspension mods are more costly due to the AWD. You stated this is for your wife, and I keep talking about mods - so that's my next question, do you NEED the TT?

What about a 328XI?

I think this car is definately a sport saloon, and it's just waiting to be unleashed. Check out e90fanatics for the numbers these cars are putting down with small mods - easily beating e46 M's!

Khalil.e
07-14-2009, 02:58 PM
Me thinks the Infinity looks cheap compared to the Bimmer.

Overall I think the G35/G37 sedan is lower quality than the Bimmer - and its the car you settle on if you can't get the Bimmer.

This coming from a long time Nissan fanboy(-ish).

Team_Mclaren
07-14-2009, 03:31 PM
there's about a 10K difference between the two cars.

a loaded G37S AWD is 50k OTD, a 335xi with M pack and possibly nav is about 60K.

IMO the 335 is the better car power, performance wise.

B4tMan
07-14-2009, 03:39 PM
We've had the chance to test drive both during this spring.

In the end, we've decided luxury / looks / power of the G to be more convenient than the 3. Seating is bigger, interior is more appealing in comparison to the 'spartan' BMW interior.

Although we're European and know BMWs like the back of our hands, we loved the G37x and just ... liked the 3.

We also took in consideration the poor service we would get long term from local BMW, and that tilted our balance toward the G even more.

Happy shopping!

remarx-j
07-14-2009, 04:34 PM
unless you have a lot of money to blow, get the G. it is close to 10k cheaper than the bmw, even though the bmw isnt worth that extra 10k unless you really want to be a bmw owner.

the G is bigger, roomier, has a nicer interior, is more reliable and in general the maintenance fee's wont make you feel like youve just been robbed.

obviously, you have to test drive both before you make a decision, but in all honesty you cant go wrong with either. good luck :thumbsup:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-14-2009, 04:36 PM
I prefer to drive the 3, but the G has a better case for owning. Personally would stick with the 3 though, family has owned a few and they are addictive.

Aleks
07-14-2009, 04:41 PM
BMW is a better car, Infiniti is a better deal.
Also maintenance is free on the BMW for 4 years last I checked it wasn't on the Infiniti (this might have changed not sure). Not many people on this site keep cars past 5 years so who cares about after warranty.

Infiniti is the narrowest car in its class but it is long. However it has the same rear legroom and headroom as the 3 series and the same front and rear shoulder room. The only advantage is in front leg and headroom.

I would also say no to AWD but since it's for the wife maybe it's for the best. ;)

gpomp
07-14-2009, 05:01 PM
rwd 335

FLARE
07-14-2009, 06:58 PM
G37. Better service, cheaper everything (maintenance, parts, service) and a very high quality car.

gpomp
07-14-2009, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by FLARE
G37. Better service, cheaper everything (maintenance, parts, service) and a very high quality car. how can it get cheaper than free? does infiniti pay you to bring your car in?

max_boost
07-14-2009, 07:28 PM
335i unless you want to be like 89coupe, then you get a G.

Fully loaded 335xi is around $950 on 48 month lease. It's perfect. Free maintenance. Bag it and return it.

I am actually thinking about picking one up too. 3.9% lease not bad.

Ldeibert
07-14-2009, 08:10 PM
What about Re-Sale?

I know there is a good chance that has no bearing on your purchase... but the G sedan isn't known to hold a strong value, and it's probably going to be a little bit harder to sell than the Bimmer will be, down the road.

You would think there are a lot of people waiting for 335's to get a bit cheaper on the private market (i.e. Me) before they taste that lag free turbo fun.

In the end, do what you want. Both have great upsides, but just don't have regrets one way or the other...

dimi
07-15-2009, 09:36 AM
We have a 335xi. The performance is great, but if that is not the main attribute you are looking for in a car, go for the G. The combination of twin turbo and AWD makes a great winter car, even better with winters.

Do not forget though, you will have to deal with a BMW dealership... Yea yea it has the 4 year free maintenance, blah blah blah. It also takes 2-3 weeks to book an appointment and your free oil change intervals are around 20,000kms :rofl: Since we aren't leasing we get one in between around 10,000 and that is around $150.

They will always try to deny you coverage for all warranty options. For instance my rear brakes make that infamous brake squeal that 3s are famous for and we bought an extra warranty package for brakes and rotors for $900, ON TOP OF the regular warranty. When I was in they tried to charge me a "brake cleaning fee". Overall, a big headache to deal with every time I am in.

If I was you I would lease it, get it chipped (the ones you can remove before going into dealership), and flog the shit out of it for a few years.

GQNammer
07-15-2009, 10:49 AM
So my wife and I test drove the 335xi sedan with the executive package last night and we were really impressed. 2 things that bugged us though. Lack of room in the back seat and the flippin cup holders. Like wtf? My wife is an abid coffee drinker and all the coffee drinkers know that coffee cups leak a bit from the top.

Ride quality was phenominal. So great that she might not want to go with the M package due to the stiffer suspension and larger wheels. It was also realy easy to go over the speed limit without even knowing it lol.

Time to test drive the G

If ride quality is even remotely close to the 335, the cabin space in the back and cup holders position could be the selling point between the 2.

FLARE
07-15-2009, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by gpomp
how can it get cheaper than free? does infiniti pay you to bring your car in?

This comment makes no sense.

Did you think about what happens after the warranty on a car expires? The owner of the vehicle incurs the costs of maintenance.

Fuck beyond is full of know-it-alls

Xtrema
07-15-2009, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by GQNammer
If ride quality is even remotely close to the 335, the cabin space in the back and cup holders position could be the selling point between the 2.

That's basically it. I hate the cup holders in any BMWs. And getting out of the back seat for anyone over 5' is a chore in a 3.

335 is a better car compare to G35. But I have not tested G37 with the new 7spd that most critic are raving about, the gap may be closer now.

If you lease, and don't plan to keep it after, just go with BMW. While BMW may be 10K more, it also got a slightly better residuals which mean monthly leases should be similar for both cars.

Reliability goes, Infiniti probably has a better record. My buddy's 335xi got electrical issues which turn off all power options in the car. Took a month to fix and had to drive a rental Buick which pissed him off to no end. You don't pay $1000 a month to drive a Buick.

benyl
07-15-2009, 11:17 AM

Did you think about what happens after the warranty on a car expires? The owner of the vehicle incurs the costs of maintenance.

It makes perfect sense.

For the first 4 years, BMW pays for all the maintenance (well, you do as it is put into the price of the car).

Infiniti does not do this.

When leasing, nobody cares what happens after the warranty expires as the car is long gone and it is someone elses problem.

Xtrema
07-15-2009, 11:33 AM

Most luxury car owners don't keep it beyond lease or warranty expiration.

Infiniti do have horrible resale which is why they really can't beat BMW on lease payments. I just quoted a 48 month G37 convertible and residual for that is 37%. A equally priced 328 convertible has a 42% residual. Combine that with higher rate, no free service, BMW is a smarter choice financially.

Reliability isn't a huge concern when you're buying new.

Aleks
07-15-2009, 12:11 PM

335 and G37 have the same leg room and head room in the back. G37 looks roomier but it's not.

heavyD
07-15-2009, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Most luxury car owners don't keep it beyond lease or warranty expiration.

Infiniti do have horrible resale which is why they really can't beat BMW on lease payments. I just quoted a 48 month G37 convertible and residual for that is 37%. A equally priced 328 convertible has a 42% residual. Combine that with higher rate, no free service, BMW is a smarter choice financially.

Reliability isn't a huge concern when you're buying new.

If you are looking at leasing it's 3 series all the way. If you are buying and price point is is important you can make more of a case for the G37. Personally I would go with the BMW because even though the G37 does everything well it is still a Nissan and shares parts with lesser vehicles. To me Acuras and Infinity are while very quality vehicles are still glorified high end Honda's and Nissans. If you want German luxury the only way to get it is to buy German and if you want something very close but more reliable you get a Lexus.

gpomp
07-15-2009, 12:25 PM
Ride quality was phenominal. So great that she might not want to go with the M package due to the stiffer suspension and larger wheels. It was also realy easy to go over the speed limit without even knowing it lol. sport suspension is not included in the sport or m-sport packages if it's awd.
you only get the regular suspension which is too soft imo.

B4tMan
07-15-2009, 12:34 PM

That's basically it. I hate the cup holders in any BMWs.
I disliked the overall package, that's why I picked up the 2009 G37x recently.

SOmeone praised the 2turbo performance of 335xi, what are 0-60 times for both, as I am assuming he has no idea what the 3.7 in the G can do : )

B4tMan
07-15-2009, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
[...]If you want German luxury the only way to get it is to buy German and if you want something very close but more reliable you get a Lexus.

Your statement just invalidated your whole post.
As someone said above, beyond is full of know it alls.

heavyD
07-15-2009, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by B4tMan

How so Sherlok? I consider Lexus to be the closest of the Japanese luxury divisions to the Germans.

Oh and here's a facepalm for you as well.:facepalm:

GQNammer
07-15-2009, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
sport suspension is not included in the sport or m-sport packages if it's awd.
you only get the regular suspension which is too soft imo.

Soft is good for a woman everyday driver :)

I won't be driving whatever vehicle I get for her so it doesn't matter to me.

I'm still on the fence of whether to lease the car or buy it through a bank loan.

The bmw is offering a $2500 with a cash purchase, plus free servicing for 4 years, so all that does add up quite a bit in the end. Hmmm

And as for the comment of the rear space in the G being the same as the 335, that makes me :(

rc2002
07-15-2009, 04:03 PM

Even though they are all made by companies with lesser lineups, Acura and Infiniti just aren't in the same league as Lexus.

You can cross shop Lexus, BMW, and Benz. Or if you want to go down a step you can cross shop Acura, Infiniti, and some Audi.

C4S
07-15-2009, 05:42 PM
335Xi for sure .. if you are willing to spend a bit more ...

G37 .. if you can't spend more .. :D

If comparing G37 vs 328i, tough choice ... :dunno:

Aleks
07-15-2009, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by C4S

If comparing G37 vs 328i, tough choice ... :dunno:

haha no it's not ;)

Aleks
07-15-2009, 05:56 PM

I disliked the overall package, that's why I picked up the 2009 G37x recently.

SOmeone praised the 2turbo performance of 335xi, what are 0-60 times for both, as I am assuming he has no idea what the 3.7 in the G can do : )

At our altitude it's advantage 335 despite what the radio commercials say about the hp ratings :)

4doorj
07-15-2009, 09:11 PM
After driving my friends 335 I would rather choose that over the G37. But I've only driven the G35 not the G37.

benyl
07-15-2009, 10:29 PM

Sorry for being a know it all, but it really doesn't matter what you think the G can do.

We all know that the 335i is underrated from the factory. The 335 has continuously put out ~275 whp on various stock cars on various dynos. With a 15% driveline loss, the car is putting more than 320 hp at the crank. 15% is very small for an automatic.

That being said, since the 335 is a MAP based turbo car, the altitude we live at affects it far less than a MAF based turbo car and far, far less than an NA car. BMW allows boost to be upped 50% to hit the same hp at altitude as at sea level. In other words, while the G37 is gasping for air, the 335 is putting out the same hp here as it does in Vancouver (at 12 psi).

So what does that mean to the average driver? The 335 will most likely outrun a G37 even on low DA days.

Add a $250 TMAP controller to the 335 and you have well over 340 whp and can give an M3, ISF or RS4 a run for it's money leaving the G37 to wonder what happened.

Now, I say all this in the hopes that the price difference is far to large between the G37 and the 335 and that buyers opt for the G37. I am tired of seeing so many 335s on the road.

B4tMan
07-16-2009, 09:44 AM
Your reply contains insightful information in regards to possible available modifications on the inline turbo6 335.

Still, in light of this following points, an arguable smart buyer would choose an Infiniti over the BMW: 1) a very likely sticker price of probably 5-10 000 dollars extra on the German vehicle (depending on trims); 2) cooling issues on the inline 6 engine, 3) unappealing / spartan overall interior and last, but not least, 4) the less-than-professional local BMW service ?

While the points above are arguable for the fanboys but by consensus true, one can hope that the buyer above will make the smart choice instead of the obvious choice.

rc2002
07-16-2009, 10:28 AM
*edited*

One short sentence about a TMAP sensor controller hardly qualifies as "insightful information in regards to possible available modifications". It's very common knowledge.

Your whole post is full of redundant words. You can probably put your thesaurus away now.

benyl
07-16-2009, 10:41 AM
Haha.

Ok, still not good enough for you?

A completely stock car except for piggyback, racing slicks and VP109. Sub 12 second run.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3523

That is with a $350 USD add on.
http://www.burgertuning.com/jb3pinout.html

530+ hp (456 whp) with major mods (DP, Intercooler, Meth, etc...). Stock turbos.
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4110

I am sure a prospective buyer will overlook the "spartan" interior.

GQNammer
07-16-2009, 10:46 AM
Where everyone has made good valid points, B4tman pretty much hit it.

If I were to buy one of these 2 cars for myself, I would definitely choose the bmw just because of the performance in itself.

But i'm purchasing this car for the wife, where performance doesn't rate on her top priority list. She's not looking for "which car can corner faster when we hit the S turn from Deerfoot onto glenmore" It's all about ride and seating comfort. Power does matter but it's not gonna be the turning factor on which car we're gonna choose. When we test drove the 335xi the driving comfort was spectacular. But as I stated, the cupholders were a huge petpeve for her as she drinks 2 large double/double's a day.

I'm not saying we're jumping onto the G. We have yet to test drive it.

rc2002
07-16-2009, 10:50 AM
If you're basing your purchase on the test drive, you're not going to buy the G. That thing handles like a boat.

It sounds like you might want to consider other alternatives as well. You say it's not about performance, then you say it's all about ride and seating comfort. If that's the case, then you might have better luck at Mercedes or Lexus.

Ntense_SpecV
07-16-2009, 10:56 AM
If the OP's wife is anything like mine she won't ever use the car to it's full potential. Most women won't want a modded car as they just want a car to start when they put the key in and drive without incident - no CEL or any problems with regards to modifications.
That being said I would buy the 335 in a heart beat if the money is available - they are an enthusiast car of choice given the 2 choices. Like mentioned by others if the funds are available 335 if not then G37.

desi112
07-16-2009, 11:06 AM
If you were looking at the coupes, I would say that the infiniti wins hands down for the price point / sports suspension, big brakes and naturally aspirated 330 hp 3.7l v6.

however if you are looking at the sedan. The BMW will be less stiff, more comfortable, quiter and have better resale.

The g37 should be considered as a sports luxury car and not the otherway around. While the BMW would probably be closer to a luxury sports car, if that makes any sense.

Have you considered the Mercedes Benz c350. My sister just test drove all of these cars and ended up selecting the MB, and like your wife she is not all about power and speed in the car.

The Mercedes is not quite as fast as the other 2 but in my opionion is has better interior refinement and an extremely comfortable and enjoyable drive, lots of gadgets and yes CUP HOLDERS!

Personally if it was me I would be the infiniti coupe and screw the rest, lol but unfortunately your wife gets the car and I dont
:cry:

The_Rural_Juror
07-16-2009, 11:14 AM
Where is the best place to get the aforementioned TMAP controller installed in Calgary? :burnout:

benyl
07-16-2009, 11:14 AM
Go buy the IS250AWD.

jjmac
07-16-2009, 11:19 AM
I've tried both and I must say that I love the feel of the 335xi. May not be aesthetically pleasing inside as the G37, but sure as hell out performs the G.

max_boost
07-16-2009, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by benyl
Go buy the IS250AWD.

hahaha

That or C300/C350 4matic is an option too. Personally C300>IS250 based merely on what it looks like. But MB service is just so damn expensive!

IS250 at the end of the day is just a Toyota right? Can bring that bad boy to any lube place to get oil changed haha

GQNammer, just get the 335i man. You don't need AWD. You need winter tires.

335 is the best value and that's why EVERYONE has one. lol

desi112
07-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by max_boost

hahaha

That or C300/C350 4matic is an option too. Personally C300>IS250 based merely on what it looks like. But MB service is just so damn expensive!

IS250 at the end of the day is just a Toyota right? Can bring that bad boy to any lube place to get oil changed haha

GQNammer, just get the 335i man. You don't need AWD. You need winter tires.

335 is the best value and that's why EVERYONE has one. lol

with a Benz you only have to perform service every 20000kms now!

And yes everyone has a 335 cause of the value, but at the same time, Everyone has one, which is why I would not buy one haha

max_boost
07-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by desi112

with a Benz you only have to perform service every 20000kms now!

And yes everyone has a 335 cause of the value, but at the same time, Everyone has one, which is why I would not buy one haha

15,000kms for me. :dunno: Maybe because it's an 06? It just sucks because MUST follow their requirements. I know, pay to play etc.

1st service. $300.
2nd service. $700
3rd service. Don't want to know. haha

Yep. Everytime I want to pull the trigger on a 335, I remind myself how half of Beyond and Calgary drives one (nothing wrong with it) but makes me want to get something a bit different but watch, I'll probably buy one too before fall. :rofl:

heavyD
07-16-2009, 12:19 PM

While the points above are arguable for the fanboys but by consensus true, one can hope that the buyer above will make the smart choice instead of the obvious choice.

The smart choice is subjective. If price is #1 priority then the smart choice is to purchase the car that is less expensive. If they plan on owning the car for a long time and want resale the higher end car is the smart choice. If they want the best performer the car with the 'engine of the year' is the smart choice etc. The smart choice all depends on the buyers main criteria. Nobody is saying the G37 is a POS because it isn't but take price out of the equation and it's the inferior car. No way you can argue that.

Since it's for his wife they should probably just buy the G37 though. If it's going to be driven by the typical woman as a grocery getter and spend a lot of time in parking lots bumping into other vehicles and curbing, etc. may as well get the lesser expensive vehicle and the one that has cheaper body parts.

Xtrema
07-16-2009, 02:31 PM
Go buy the IS250AWD.

:facepalm: That car shouldn't be on anyone's shopping list unless you're rich and stupid.

benyl
07-16-2009, 02:42 PM
I am trying to stop people from buying 335s. Stop facepalming my suggestions!

I have already seen 3 different 335s that are clones of my car!

max_boost
07-16-2009, 02:51 PM
I am trying to stop people from buying 335s. Stop facepalming my suggestions!

On the same block? lol

Oh well, give the 335 to the wife and enjoy your AMG which is coming soon haha

Redlyne_mr2
07-16-2009, 03:04 PM

:facepalm: That car shouldn't be on anyone's shopping list unless you're rich and stupid.
Why what's wrong with it? Not everyone wants a stiff riding 300hp car like the BMW. Different cars for different people. :)

And Sam there is nothing Toyota about the IS at all. Not that there is anything wrong with Toyota. :D

civic_rida
07-16-2009, 03:10 PM
sort of off topic but ryan do you guys have any 2009 is250 awd left?

Redlyne_mr2
07-16-2009, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by civic_rida
sort of off topic but ryan do you guys have any 2009 is250 awd left?
Yep, we have 1 or 2 left, theyre popular cars, the owners of these cars just don't post on beyond. ;)

heavyD
07-16-2009, 04:54 PM

Or maybe your car is a clone of theirs.;)

GQNammer
07-16-2009, 05:07 PM
The is250 was the first car we looked at and I dunno, maybe it's just spaced bad but it felt really small in there lol. That's why we took it off our list

max_boost
07-16-2009, 05:20 PM
The is250 was the first car we looked at and I dunno, maybe it's just spaced bad but it felt really small in there lol. That's why we took it off our list

Because it IS that small in there, especially the back! lol

gpomp
07-16-2009, 05:36 PM
i would pick:

1. bmw 3
2. lexus is
3. infiniti g
4. mb c

regardless of engine choice, i wouldn't change the list. it's all about the "driving dynamics".

ICEBERG
07-16-2009, 05:50 PM
Funny i just saw this thread. My neighbour has a G37. Couple months ago he asked me if he could drive my 335i..He wanted to compare my 335i to his G37.. I am like no problem. He went for a little spin with his wife. Comes back with this grin on his face "What have you done to that thing, want to trade"

He has some stuff getting done to his G37 and is going to let me drive his car after it is done. He is hoping to keep up with the neighbour.

All i can say is DINAN package baby.. ;)

SilverRex
07-16-2009, 08:50 PM
if name and performence is your thing get the BMW

but if cost, realibility is more important get the G

I have a good cousin who works for a BMW dealership in vancouver, and he is just constantly fed up with BMW quality, and as a sales manager has to quit his job because he has a hard time explainning the quality of a bimmer to his pissed off customer, and he doesnt want to lie, he use to love them now he hates them.

also there is way too many bimmers in calgary, so owning a bimmer in calgary no longer feels special lol

heavyD
07-17-2009, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by SilverRex

also there is way too many bimmers in calgary, so owning a bimmer in calgary no longer feels special lol

There is some truth to that. Really if I had to pick a list of most common vehicles I see in Calgary it would be;

1. Mazda 3
2. Honda Civic
3. BMW 3 Series

It's just not an exclusive car anymore due to the fact that they are commuter car common. Doesn't change the fact that they are excellent cars it's just that there's no exclusivity to owning one.

blinkme_210
07-17-2009, 01:06 PM
You're the buying the car for the wife, so all she cares about is what she tells her relatives & friends when they ask her what kind of car she drives. And if your Asian (assuming) wife is anything like mine... she wants to tell people she drives a BMW. My wife REALLY hates the cupholders in 530xi too ;)

FiveFreshFish
07-17-2009, 01:21 PM

There is some truth to that. Really if I had to pick a list of most common vehicles I see in Calgary it would be;

1. Mazda 3
2. Honda Civic
3. BMW 3 Series

You're forgetting VW Jettas and Golfs.

heavyD
07-17-2009, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by blinkme_210
You're the buying the car for the wife, so all she cares about is what she tells her relatives & friends when they ask her what kind of car she drives. And if your Asian (assuming) wife is anything like mine... she wants to tell people she drives a BMW. My wife REALLY hates the cupholders in 530xi too ;)

BMW really seems to be a big status thing with Asians. I see some though not many in comparison in MB's but rarely any in Audis. It seems like BMW is the Asian status car for sure.

heavyD
07-17-2009, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

You're forgetting VW Jettas and Golfs.

Yeah but not seeing as much of the latest gen VW's compared to the last gen VW's that were everywhere.

max_boost
07-17-2009, 01:28 PM

1. Mazda 3
2. Honda Civic
3. BMW 3 Series

It's just not an exclusive car anymore due to the fact that they are commuter car common. Doesn't change the fact that they are excellent cars it's just that there's no exclusivity to owning one.

haha this thread has made me officially NOT want a BMW anymore lol

I'll stick to Benz and Subaru.

GQNammer, how about a C63? Lonestar has a Silver and a White in stock. So tempting and the cars are so hot in person. :bigpimp:

C63 FTW!

Xtrema
07-17-2009, 01:45 PM

BMW really seems to be a big status thing with Asians. I see some though not many in comparison in MB's but rarely any in Audis. It seems like BMW is the Asian status car for sure.

Calgarian seems to love BMW but almost every other part of the world, MB seems to be the luxury choice.

Asian hasn't bough into Audi yet. I think their records in the 80s really burn them.

jjmac
07-17-2009, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

haha this thread has made me officially NOT want a BMW anymore lol

I'll stick to Benz and Subaru.

GQNammer, how about a C63? Lonestar has a Silver and a White in stock. So tempting and the cars are so hot in person. :bigpimp:

C63 FTW!

C63:drool:

heavyD
07-17-2009, 02:17 PM

Calgarian seems to love BMW but almost every other part of the world, MB seems to be the luxury choice.

Asian hasn't bough into Audi yet. I think their records in the 80s really burn them.

I don't know about that. I am active in the EVO forums and I hear a lot of talk that BMW's are all over in some US cities as well. Everytime there is an EVO or BMW 135i or 3 series thread one of the EVO X pros seems to be 'less common on the road'. They get the same lease deals down there, maybe even better.

SilverRex
07-17-2009, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by jjmac

C63:drool:

hehe were're getting off topic here

but if I had the money I'll want a C63 in a heart beat but if I had even more money, I'll want a Sl65 AMG black series

but my next luxury car if I ever got into that position such as able to find a buyer for my tsx, i would highly consider the latest audi A4, i just love the rear and the front LED

SilverRex
07-17-2009, 10:10 PM

I don't know about that. I am active in the EVO forums and I hear a lot of talk that BMW's are all over in some US cities as well. Everytime there is an EVO or BMW 135i or 3 series thread one of the EVO X pros seems to be 'less common on the road'. They get the same lease deals down there, maybe even better.

if you think calgary was worse, think vancouver, my last trip there in May saw nothing but MB, BMW and audi

I was surprise to see there was no sti or evo (except my cousin had an evo MR)

also there was tons of MB GLK 350, I think the last snow dump made everyone want a AWD suv

blinkme_210
07-18-2009, 02:53 AM

My theory on why Asians prefer BMW & Mercedes over Audi, is that when you enunciate every syllable of Audi in Cantonese, it doesn't have a nice ring to it the way the other 2 do. Now close your eyes and imagine an Asian with a hardcore accent saying "I drive a BEE-EEM-DOUBLE-U", or "I drive a BEN-ZE". If that didn't work, find an older Asian and ask them to say that back to you in Cantonese, haha.

benyl
07-18-2009, 07:38 AM
I think it has to do with home country image.

I can't say for mainland, but in Hong Kong, all I saw was Benz and BMW. No Audis.

Maybe they are easier to import or cheaper.

Many older asians I see buy them for the status. C230s and 323s are mainly bought by these people. I bet they can barely afford them.

BMW is a bit of a Calgary thing. In Van, there are Benzs left right and center. I think it might be the C63 capital of Canada.

scat19
07-20-2009, 08:08 AM
Keep hating on BMW's lads.

They're popular, because they're great cars.

Mitsu3000gt
07-20-2009, 09:16 AM
How about an Audi S4? :D

Xtrema
07-20-2009, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by blinkme_210

My theory on why Asians prefer BMW & Mercedes over Audi, is that when you enunciate every syllable of Audi in Cantonese, it doesn't have a nice ring to it the way the other 2 do. Now close your eyes and imagine an Asian with a hardcore accent saying "I drive a BEE-EEM-DOUBLE-U", or "I drive a BEN-ZE". If that didn't work, find an older Asian and ask them to say that back to you in Cantonese, haha.

Audi 奥迪 - is not as easy to pronounce in Cantonese as BMW (寶馬 ) or Benz (賓士 ) and it never had a history of being a luxury brand of choice until late 90s. Audis are also commonly called 4 rings and you know how Chinese people like the number 4 (death).

BMW picked a great Chinese name (treasure horse) instead of just base on a straight phonetic translation.

TravisJ
07-21-2009, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by scat19

+1

BMWs are popular worldwide because they are great cars.

B4tMan
07-21-2009, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by scat19
Keep hating on BMW's lads.

They are also a way of life.

Christ

Pahnda
07-21-2009, 12:49 PM

That seems to be a Calgary thing. Mainland China's sales of Audis typically surpasses BMW. That's probably partly (or mostly) due to all the fleet sales to the higher government officials. Perhaps as more mainlanders make root in Calgary it may be more diversified, haha...

Personally I like the the A4 after cross-shopping between the 3, 5, A4, and G37. It had the best balance of everything and has, by far, the best interior and exterior. But really, looks are about as subjective as it gets.

G
07-21-2009, 01:00 PM
Chinese Government officials can only get an Audi A6 and it has to be one that was built in China.

When I was in China even the locals looked down on the ones made in China.

Originally posted by Pahnda

That seems to be a Calgary thing. Mainland China's sales of Audis typically surpasses BMW. That's probably partly (or mostly) due to all the fleet sales to the higher government officials. Perhaps as more mainlanders make root in Calgary it may be more diversified, haha...

Personally I like the the A4 after cross-shopping between the 3, 5, A4, and G37. It had the best balance of everything and has, by far, the best interior and exterior. But really, looks are about as subjective as it gets.

HRD2PLZ
07-22-2009, 10:27 AM
I bought a G35x in May 2007 and ended up selling it in September 2007. To say I didn't like the experience would be an understatement. Infiniti's service department leaves a lot to be desired. Not only that, but while the G was 'fun,' it just wasn't a great car overall. So many small quality issues with the car that drove me nuts. A few friends and I ended up taking it on a road trip to my place in Arizona in June, it was on that trip that I decided the car had to go.

Good Luck!

EDIT: I should mention that at the time I bought the G, I was SO stuck on getting an AWD car. Looking back on it, if I was to do it all over again, I would go RWD + winters. I also would have ended up with a c-class (mmm C350) or 335 (there was no 'xi' available on the 335 when I bought the G).

slinkie
07-22-2009, 08:10 PM
edit is250 is kinda small haha

Dope7
07-22-2009, 11:43 PM
335ix.