PDA

View Full Version : How to lock up a Wii at the office?

Doozer
07-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Anyone have any Wiis set up at their office? How are they secured? We have a Wii that was bought a few months ago and has only been used once because it's such a pain to set up and take down, and it normally stays locked in a cabinet.

The purpose was to get people up and active a few times each day, and give a break for late nights of coding, etc, but no one has the time to spend 30 minutes setting up and taking it down each time.

So we want some way to leave it out, but at least a little bit secured. After looking at it, the only thing I can really see is maybe using some super-sticky adhesive to attach a loop for a laptop lock.

Any thoughts?

realazy
07-14-2009, 02:22 PM
You can drill a hole in the case and put a laptop lock on it for an easy way or you can also fab up a cage of some sort like the ones at EB games or futureshop.

ExtraSlow
07-14-2009, 02:45 PM
Construction adhsive to connect it to the cabinet. But then the two are totally inseperable.

Doozer
07-14-2009, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by realazy
You can drill a hole in the case and put a laptop lock on it for an easy way or you can also fab up a cage of some sort like the ones at EB games or futureshop. Thanks ... I thought about both of those already, actually, and I think they're both ruled out. Unfortunately, the Wii case is pretty tiny, and there doesn't seem to be anywhere safe to drill a hole. If you have an example of a spot that's safe, great, but I'm not taking the thing apart when I don't even own it. And if you've actually taken a good look at it while holding it in your hands, it seems pretty compacted already. Not lots of open space. :dunno: As far as building a cage ... well, that's probably far more time-consuming that it's worth, especially considering this is a software company and I don't think anyone even knows how to weld.

ExtraSlow, are you talking about adhesive you can get at any supply shop like Rona, Home Depot, etc, or is it something more specialized?

ExtraSlow
07-14-2009, 03:21 PM
This stuff:
http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/f86dc244-a0fb-4262-a6a6-ef83dbbe5dea_4.jpg

Home Depot - Construction Adhesive (http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=947644&Ntt=947644&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=112003&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber)
But in truth, a cage would probably be a better solution, and it wouldn't have to be welded. You could bend some bar stock pretty easily in a garage with hand tools.

Spoons
07-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Go out and buy an alarm. Has a key to enable or disable, and a sticky thing to attach to the Wii. If the sticky thing is removed, a very loud alarm will sound.

This doesn't help if the room is somewhere isolated.

Doozer
07-14-2009, 03:45 PM
Thanks ... although I wouldn't stick it right to the counter. I'd use that adhesive to stick some sort of metal loop to the Wii that I could run a laptop lock through.

Although you've got me thinking about the bar stock ... that's a good point, although even if I was bending it, it wouldn't be one continuous piece. I'd need to either spend some time coming up with an interlocking design, or need at least a few welds.

yellowsnow
07-14-2009, 03:49 PM
How would it take 30 mins to set up the wii? Just leave the cables plugged into your TV, and lock the console up when you're done with it.

Even if you take everything apart, it should only take 5 mins :dunno:

Doozer
07-14-2009, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Spoons
Go out and buy an alarm. Has a key to enable or disable, and a sticky thing to attach to the Wii. If the sticky thing is removed, a very loud alarm will sound.

This doesn't help if the room is somewhere isolated.
That wouldn't work, because this is primarily a theft deterrent when there's no one in the office. We've got key cards, but other floors in our building have had issues with things going missing.

Originally posted by yellowsnow
How would it take 30 mins to set up the wii? Just leave the cables plugged into your TV, and lock the console up when you're done with it.

Even if you take everything apart, it should only take 5 mins :dunno:
Well, that was fresh from the new box, so 30 mins it was longer than it should normally take. But we don't have a TV - it was hooked to our projector, so that's something else we need to keep secured. However, you do raise the possibility of maybe leaving some cables plugged in, and maybe being able to hide them somehow and just lock the box in the cabinet.

To be honest, that's probably part of the problem ... we don't really have a proper room to put this, so it was used in our main boardroom where we obviously can't leave it set up.

eblend
07-14-2009, 05:31 PM
Why not just hide the damn thing behind a locked cabinet on wheels, roll it out when needed, open it to swap games, otherwise it can be enclosed. Not like it generates much heat

spikerS
07-14-2009, 06:18 PM
next time i go into the office i will take a few pics of how they did ours, it seems to have worked pretty well.

basically it is secured to some plywood with some plumbers tape.

Alterac
07-14-2009, 07:01 PM
white plywood backboard, white shelf, plexiglass container, front door on a hinge, with keylock.

Stays hooked up, and everyone can see it.

Also, could make a seperate one for the wii-motes / etc..