PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Tour de France

a social dsease
07-14-2009, 05:00 PM
Anyone else watching this? So far has been pretty interesting, of course the big story is the Astana team and their internal battle; Lance vs Contador. Seems like both of them really want to win however the entire team will need to be behind one of them, they can't do it alone.
We get the American broadcast through Versus, and so of course they make Lance out to be the hero, however I think Contador might have a better chance to take it. Like I said though, he'll need the full support of the team.
Should be a great next 2 weeks, can't wait for them to hit the Alps!

scary_perry
07-14-2009, 06:54 PM
It's going to get crazy in a couple more days.

All bets are off in the Alps. I suspect all the attacks will whittle the field down to Lance and Alberto, and there won't be team orders when there is only the two of them left.

BigDL
07-15-2009, 09:46 AM
I bet it will come down to the final time trial.

98type_r
07-15-2009, 10:09 AM
The Alps will definitely thin out the field from the true contenders. I bet there are a lot of teams just waiting in the wings for this whole Astana thing to unravel and hoping it works out in their favor.

I'm surprised Cavendish has taken as many sprints as he has. I thought Thor would have given him a bigger run for his money.

Kritafo
07-15-2009, 11:05 AM
love it have watched for years. It's definitely an interesting struggle going on. Only last night we lost channel 44? Anyone else having problems. I am just going to check it and call Shaw if I need to.

Lance in the mountains is what I am hoping.

MPowered
07-15-2009, 11:59 AM
Channel 44 is now 37

scary_perry
07-15-2009, 05:24 PM
I hope we get something crazy, like:

What happens if Levi gets in a break in the mountains with some non-GC climbers? He could work with them, give them the stage and get lots of time.

The other teams might sit back and wait for the Astana captains to do react.

If you are Cadel what do you do? Chase and Lanceberto grab you wheel. Wait and eventually Lanceberto will have to work, weakening themselves in the process.

Kritafo
07-16-2009, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by MPowered
Channel 44 is now 37

Yes that would explain why I found the tour on that channel...thanks. We don't watch TV that much and discovered it this morning.

a social dsease
07-16-2009, 10:51 AM
Honestly I don't think Cadel has a chance. He did come 2nd two years in a row, but I just don't think he has the raw power to really take off and win it for himself, not to mention his team isn't the strongest.
Levi is less than a minute back, so technically he could take the yellow pretty easily,, however I don't think that's what his goal is. I think his role is more of a support rider to Lance/Conty. Honestly though it is anyone's tour right now, easily 10+ guys who could win. I still think Conty has the best chance, better climber than Lance and younger. Lance does have the edge experience wise and descending, but unless Conty screws up big time (ie crashes) then its his to win.
The commentators on Versus constantly talk about how Lance has so much more experience than Contador, which he does, but they seem to forget Contador won the tour in 07. Its not like he's some fresh faced rookie, he knows how to win...
Anyways I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy the next couple days before the fun starts on the weekend. Standings should remain the exact same up until the HC climb to Verbier. I have a feeling Astana will just sit back on that day, and wait until the next stage (Col St Bernard) to make their big move.

scary_perry
07-16-2009, 11:22 AM
Don't forget mental toughness - Lance is king there.

Lots of mind games going on right now.

98type_r
07-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Lance is smart too, I wouldn't put it past him to have fabricated this whole Contador situation.

trevh
07-16-2009, 10:25 PM
Lance will take the tour this year. Just wait until the Alps, the guy is genius. He makes sure he knows the course well each day, he's set up to win.

scary_perry
07-17-2009, 09:30 AM
Especially with no attacks.

Haussler's win today was awesome. I hate being trapped in the office today.

The weekend stages are going to be awesome!!!

Kritafo
07-19-2009, 06:46 AM
ahh finally the Alps...lets see what goes down.

Strange day with a spectator killed and Cavendish points.
Levi gone the day before...

a social dsease
07-19-2009, 10:48 AM
oh snap! Conty with the stage win + yellow jersey!

scary_perry
07-26-2009, 10:22 AM
I guess the last week was 'exciting.' I don't like predictable results, and this tour was pretty easy to predict.

Kritafo
07-26-2009, 10:39 AM
I agree, I thought yesterday stage was going to be fantastic...it was a snore fest.

scary_perry
07-26-2009, 10:48 AM
Yeah. I really wanted Pellizotti to get the win, but it was good to see Rabo get something from this tour. Once the wind started Pellizotti could not bridge to Garate and Martin.

Andy waiting for his bro was stupid.

And Liquigas had Pellizoti, Nibali and Kruezinger in the front pack and they just sat and waited for Saxo's attacks. Stupid.

They should have attcked for a gap on the treeless part, and just created a pace line to the top for a 123. IMO