PDA

View Full Version : Home Alarm System...Help!!

ronaldo
07-14-2009, 07:11 PM
We bought our house about a year ago and it had the alarm system pre-installed...Once we moved in we tried to contact the previous owners for the code but were never able to get it. The system was not being monitored so we just left it alone.

Today when I come home the trouble light on the keypad is on, and as soon as I open the doors the alarm goes off.

I don't have a code and have no idea to fix this. Anyone know where I can get a master code or how I can reset the system?

any help would be appreciated...

The_Rural_Juror
07-14-2009, 07:13 PM
Sure. Here's the code:

http://www.annemade-jewelry.com/wire_cutters.jpg

Ashers
07-14-2009, 07:36 PM
Have you tried contacting the alarm company? They should be able to reset/disable it for you.

ronaldo
07-14-2009, 07:49 PM
we arent too sure who used to monitor it.

i contacted DSC (maker of the keypad) and all they could say is you need to phone a local company, and they wont help reset the alarm systems

anyone work for a security company and have programmer codes or have the know-how to do it for me?

HRD2PLZ
07-14-2009, 07:59 PM
There is no signs or decals on the home? Usually company's will have their sticker on the keypad. Most companies use the DSC keypads, at least in the entry level alarms. If you don't know who the company is, your best bet is going to be to cut the wire(s) to the siren in the basement.

ronaldo
07-15-2009, 01:43 AM
no signs, decals or stickers indicating which company they used.

the alarm stopped ringing after about 20 minutes so that's not a big deal anymore.

the keypad still shows as if the system is armed, and anytime I open a window/door it beeps for about 5 minutes constantly than stops.

Any idea's other than cutting wires?

Ashers
07-15-2009, 03:38 AM
Find the alarm box. It should be in the basement or a crawlspace kinda area. My last house had it in a hidden crawlspace. It should have the companies branding on it. You could just pull the power cord for it...

Off topic... I hate ADT.
I would home from work at about 4.45 am or so. AT 8 AM or so they'd phone my cell.
"Mr. *****, you alarm has been tripped. Did you give someone access to your house?"
"Uhhhh... you have the wrong number. Thats not my name, and I don't have ADT."
"We need your secret passcode sir!"
"I don't have ADT, now stop bothering me and f**k off!"
It was eventually shortened to "This is ***** with ADT..." "Screw off and stop calling" *click*

Ben
07-15-2009, 08:29 AM
Download the User Manual from the manufacturers website. It will explain the process for you. Basically have to short the system to forget the code. Definitely locate the Control Panel (PC Tower sized box somewhere in the house, usually furnace room with an alarm logo on it). Remove the backup batt and power down the bitch. The installer code is typically *8 and then the 4 digit model number.

craigcd
07-15-2009, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Ben
Download the User Manual from the manufacturers website. It will explain the process for you. Basically have to short the system to forget the code. Definitely locate the Control Panel (PC Tower sized box somewhere in the house, usually furnace room with an alarm logo on it). Remove the backup batt and power down the bitch. The installer code is typically *8 and then the 4 digit model number.

OP let me know if this works- I have the same issue :)

I think we chatted about this over PM a year ago!

ronaldo
07-15-2009, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by craigcd

OP let me know if this works- I have the same issue :)

I think we chatted about this over PM a year ago!

I went to the box in the furnace room, opened it up and disconnected the battery backup and had to disconnect the wiring to the keypads.

The system has been powered down for now, I`ll worry about finding a company to monitor it when I get some time.

Any suggestions for good monitoring companies?

Thanks for the help..

Ben
07-16-2009, 02:49 AM
Yeah, None of them. Monitoring is pretty much useless.

HRD2PLZ
07-16-2009, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by ronaldo

I went to the box in the furnace room, opened it up and disconnected the battery backup and had to disconnect the wiring to the keypads.

The system has been powered down for now, I`ll worry about finding a company to monitor it when I get some time.

Any suggestions for good monitoring companies?

Thanks for the help..

I use ADT. Always been super happy with them. Make sure when you are looking for monitoring companies, you ask them if they have a cellular back-up system. Basically what it does is communicates with the monitoring station using the cellular network in the event of a power loss or if your phone lines are cut. IMO monitoring without a back-up is useless.

ronaldo
07-16-2009, 01:09 PM
I use VOIP phone at home so any company I use would have to use a cellular system as a backup anyways in the case my internet goes down.

Thanks