PDA

View Full Version : Aristo or S14?

Kardon
07-15-2009, 12:23 AM
Hey guys I'm not trying to be the typical "omfg im in highschool i need a skyrine to drift" JDM kid.

Anyways I've have my Aristo for a while now, and its been good to me. I've had to put alittle bit of money into it, but you gotta pay to play. Anyways after a few months I'm already wondering if I made a mistake, not because its RHD or anything, its just not fun for me :dunno: .

Its pretty quick, and very luxurious, but it isn't overly fun. Its an auto, and I've always wanted a standard, and TBH I HARDLY use the backseats for anything. I've been thinking about selling/trading for something lighter and abit more exciting.

I've always liked AE86's, but I have a feeling going from an aristo>86 would be like a going into a time machine. I don't really want a S13, they seem like most have had hard lives, and again, seem alot older than an Aristo.

Recently S14's have caught my eye, paticularly SR20 powered machines. The interior's seem pleasant and sporty, and after actually having a good look at one I realized how small they really are! Would a stock Silvia K's be faster than my Stock Aristo V?

So I'm asking my fellow enthusiasts to shed some light, do you think I'd have more fun in a S14? Its only just me and my girlfriend in the car anyways, no kids.

And lastly, do you think it would be a hard task to find somebody with an S14 (RHD/LHD I don't care, definitely prefer SR20/RB power.) willing to trade for an Aristo? They seem to have similar re-sales, but they are aimed at different markets. If anyone's wondering its a 92 Toyota Aristo V (2JZ-GTE) in black, 113xxx, loaded with leather+sunroof and its in great shape.

xLostx
07-15-2009, 12:37 AM
you need a skyline so you can drift

Kardon
07-15-2009, 12:43 AM
Should add that I'm not interested in drifting or racing I just want a fun car that can take a corner alittle nicer than my heavy Aristo. But thanks. :banghead:

chkolny541
07-15-2009, 11:37 AM
i beleive this is what you are hinting at

http://www.avoncustom.co.uk/carsales/images/blk32gtr%5B1%5D.jpg

Kardon
07-15-2009, 12:42 PM
Should I edit and replace Aristo with GS300 and S14 with 240SX? :banghead:

zieg
07-15-2009, 12:58 PM
eh, for the money if you are gonna go for an s14 silvia, just pony up an extra couple grand for an R33 GTS. RB>SR no problem and better performance for your buck.

badatusrnames
07-15-2009, 01:02 PM
Like above - R33?

Kardon
07-15-2009, 01:03 PM
I don't really like the styling of the R33, and wouldn't a S14 be much cheaper to maintain? R33 also weighs a bit more.

zieg
07-15-2009, 01:04 PM
do you care more about how it looks or how fast it goes?

and even if the r33 weighs a bit more, it still pulls more g's in the corner, has a lower 1/4 mile time and shorter 100-0. In short, a more 'fun' car.

Kardon
07-15-2009, 01:06 PM
Are they a similar value to an Aristo? And wouldn't a RB motor just generally cost more to maintain?

zieg
07-15-2009, 01:11 PM
ummmm.. it wouldnt really cost more to maintain. Think about it. oil is oil, etc. Either way it's a jdm motor, just one is a 4 cyl the other is a 6. And if you do wanna spend $$$ on say... injectors or something, like you said yourself, you gotta pay to play.

as for value no idea what an aristo's worth but an r33 gts goes for about 8-10 depending. just look at the marketplace.

Kardon
07-15-2009, 01:13 PM
How about a replacement control arm? I'm just worried of owning something that never had a Canadian counterpart. I'll look around and thanks for the suggestion.

weeznah
07-15-2009, 03:05 PM
s14 go for it. you will not be dissapointed trust me. Definetly one of the funner cars for the price

Kardon
07-15-2009, 05:29 PM
Well the poll hasn't got a huge amount of votes but its staying very very even. Now you see my delimma. I was considering picking up a set of coilovers for the aristo, perhaps that would make it abit more sporty, right now its just a luxury cruiser, which is fine if I was abit older with sore bones, I want to feel some G's.

psycoticclown
07-15-2009, 06:07 PM
MR2 or FD :poosie:

But those are probably a bit outta your price range. That said, I'd take either of those over a R32 or R33 GTS.

n1zm0
07-15-2009, 06:37 PM
I have a CDM S14 awaiting swap after my vacation, after 3 s13s i decided to stick with the s chassis, i had heard that s13 owners moving on to s14s would never want to go back, proved true when i drove my first, the weight balance feels moreso '50/50' than an s13, probably attesting to its longer and wider wheelbase.

i've never driven an aristo, only a GS300, stock auto, you will definitely feel a difference in handling, im going to bet money on a stock S14 being able to out handle a stock JZS147 no problem.

your SR OEM parts whether you go CDM/JDM are readily available along with chassis parts here in N/A, however the same goes for aristo parts i guess.

i say s14 of course. But aside from it's piggish weight, i personally like the aristo and was looking for a R154 swapped jdm example before i got my s14 (to no avail of course), that would be my ideal cruiser/roadtrip car besides an IS300 w/ a vvti 2jz.

black13
07-15-2009, 09:52 PM
Well the Aristo is a luxury sports car, its supposed to be comfortable with nice seats and power everything.

S14 is not one. I think it would be a little slower as well but it would definitely be more fun to drive. You would get more of that feel of becoming one with the car.

Save the luxury for when you grow old and don't wanna feel every bump in the road and change gears. Live young while you can. You can drive a luxury car anytime while a sports car like that at old age will make you look weird.

Kardon
07-15-2009, 10:30 PM
Seems like all I need now is somebody looking for an Aristo that happens to have a S14. I definitely know what you mean with the "You would get more of that feel of becoming one with the car.".

And yes indeed, the Aristo does have power EVERYTHING, only thing that requires your brute strength is to open the doors, once you're in, the seats, mirrors, doors, windows, steering, everything is power. I am impressed with my Aristo but I agree now is the time to have a sports car, and perhaps return to something along the JZS's chassis line later in life.

Schooled
07-15-2009, 11:27 PM
being a Nissan guy myself, i vote S14, zenki :poosie:

Kardon
07-15-2009, 11:44 PM
One thing I meant to ask, do you think I will be going down to alot lower quality car if I go to a nissan? I can understand a S14 or R33 won't have as many luxuries, but your don't need luxury to have quality. I'm quite impressed with the fit and finish of my Aristo, inside and out.

pinoyboy88
07-15-2009, 11:57 PM
or u can buy my s14 kouki lol:hitit:

Kardon
07-16-2009, 12:08 AM
Interested in trades (obviously)? Aristo is equipped with (in no particular order)
6000k HID
HKS SSQV bov
Alpine stereo w/ proper ipod integration (plumbed to the center console for a clean install)
alpine type-s 12" replacement sub (factory location)
compustar 2 way alarm/starter
16" OEM wheels w/ winter tires in very nice shape+lexus center caps
19" Motegi Touge wheels, not sure wheel width, BRAND NEW nitto invo rubber, 225 front 275 rear
AEM TruBoost (disconnected)
Brand new Interstate 1000cca battery
fresh A/C
Leather
Sunroof
Every power option
and a recent tuneup/maintence from RCTS w/ reciept.

Might be time for a new thread for the Aristo..

xLostx
07-16-2009, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by xLostx
you need a skyline so you can drift

Kardon
07-16-2009, 01:10 AM
Nice contribution to the discussion. :zzz:

EuroB
07-16-2009, 12:03 PM
In my opinion, a s14 would be a funner and more enjoyable choice.

I as well am in the Market for one.

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
07-17-2009, 04:44 PM
How come you're so stuck on Nissan? There are lots of other sports cars in a similar price range that I have heard are fun too.

zieg
07-17-2009, 05:15 PM
I'm so damn confused by why people think an s14 would be a better choice. :confused:

DonJuan
07-17-2009, 08:06 PM
I owned both the cars in question at the same time. Only difference was my Aristo was silver, and your reasons for wanting a change was the same as mine. The Aristo is so reliable, so fast, and so uncomplex that it drive me nuts. It made me feel old. I'm 26 and it made me feel like I was 40.

And no stock S14 wont keep up to stock Aristo, my stock Aristo was running 13.9 at 101MPH on shitty JDM tires and lots of wheelspin with open diff. So sadly I sold the Aristo... my brother and Dad have one so I can get my arist fix when I need it

Kardon
07-17-2009, 08:12 PM
Wow thankyou for somebody who has some real insight. I totally agree about how the car just doesn't connect with you. Its a fantastic car though! Are you happier with the S14 now DonJuan?

And well I'm not overly stuck on nissan, and as somebody did mention a MR2, for some reason I've never had a big thing for them, maybe its the layout of the car but it doesn't really suit me. Honda's are cool, and I've thought a clean GSR w/ leather would be a very nice car to have, but they are VERY generic, and I'd prefer rwd... Have any suggestions for smaller, RWD, japanese sports cars? I'm totally fine with RHD's as long as the model has been known to be reliable, unlike most of those older WRX's.

forbiddenera
07-18-2009, 02:51 AM
Supra's are dope.

Maybe I'm biased though.

Personally I prefer the MK2s though, and you said you don't want something old.

But fuck are they awesome.

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
07-18-2009, 10:51 AM
MR2s are really sweet cars. I have never driven one, but I hear they are awesome.
I agree with forbiden too, Supra might be a good change as well, but I am not sure if it's in your price range.

badatusrnames
07-18-2009, 11:13 AM
300ZX TT? I'm biased, but the good:

-Reliable if properly maintained. VG30 is a good motor. For 15+ year old turbo cars, they have held up well.
-Sold in North America, so parts aren't a hassle. Good community support (mostly via twinturbo.net)
-Probably slightly quicker than your Aristo, big upside for mods. Basic stuff gets you ~400HP. RWD.
-Handling is tight and responsive, makes for a fun drive. Still a good highway cruiser.
-Easy car to drive tame. Fun car to get on the boost with.
-Well equipped - power everything, leather is available. Comfortable drivers car for sure. The interior is well laid out.
-Looks have aged well, doesn't look as old-manish as an Aristo. The car looks fast sitting still. Chicks dig the t-tops. Gets me plenty of comments, from car and non-car people alike.
-Enough of them have been brought over, so you have good selection to choose one you like (if you go RHD). JDMSource has a very sexy 2 seater hardtop for sale.
-Big trunk?
-Diablo headlights.

Bad is:
-Still a heavy car (~3500 lbs).
-If you want four seats, the 2+2 comfortably seats midgets and about no one else.
-If you have bad hips, it might be tough getting in and out of the car. Very low slung.
-I fear getting t-boned by a SUV driven by a clueless soccer mom. Your head is about bumper level of an truck/SUV.
-Winter... you can try?

-Gas consumption can be good or bad, depending on how much boost you use. I get ~400km a tank in the city with mostly conservative driving with the odd rip. Premium of course.

Overall, I view the car as more of a well-equipped touring car than a pure sports car (like an MR2). Like your Aristo, but with more of a performance edge.

For some reason though, it doesn't seem to be a car everyone on this board likes though, it seems to get lumped in with the Skyrine crowd backlash as it was one of the earlier JDM cars worth bringing over (as an '89 model). The market for a once rare Japanese sports car that had held its value well became flooded with a ton of cheap imports.

So if the opinion of some people on the internet here matter, you may not want to go for it.

Ukyo8
07-18-2009, 11:42 AM
Lol having owned an s13, s14 and an Aristo I must say that the s13 with an sr20 was a blast to drive, the s14 felt bigger and heavier, but was much sharper and the interior is improved a lot.