PDA

View Full Version : Laptop to HDTV via HDMI. Doesnt work, any tips?

nobb
07-15-2009, 08:48 AM
I just bought a new Dell Studio XPS 13 laptop with integrated NVIDIA 9400M graphics and Im trying to get the HDMI output to work with my Sony KDF-E50A10 TV. But when I connect the TV to my laptop, all I get are strange flickering colors. Ive tried playing around with different resolutions, refresh rates, and settings in the NVIDIA control panel, as well as updating the video card drivers. Still no picture on the TV.

With my old laptop, Ive been watching high definition movies using the VGA out, but the picture doesnt look super crisp like in all the HDTVs Ive seen, so I thought I would play around with HDMI. Here is the product page for the TV:

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/ProductDetailDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=1001599

From the spec page, the TV has a native resolution of 1280x720, which is exactly what my laptop is outputting to the external TV. Ive never actually used HDMI before and dont have any other sources to test it out on.

Does anyone have any ideas or have had similar problems? Isn't HDMI just plug and play?

Crymson
07-15-2009, 09:01 AM
I have had alot of trouble getting the HDMI to work with my Dell Studio 15 something something as well. It's allegedly got a blu ray player (which didn't work out of the box) and HDMI, but so far, i've only managed to get picture to work with the HDMI and not sound. Pretty frustrating.

Mar
07-15-2009, 09:37 AM
I've got the Studio 15 with the ATI HD3450 video card in it, which operating system are you using?

EDIT - Have I seen you around the mp3car forums as well? I think I've talked to you online a few times.

nobb
07-15-2009, 09:43 AM
Im guessing alot of Dell laptops dont support audio out via HDMI, because my Studio XPS 13 doesnt even have any sort of high definition audio out option in the audio devices list. That doesnt bother me though, Im using an external sound card with optical. But this stupid video issue is annoying =(

Im using Vista 64bit with the newest NVIDIA drivers from the Dell website.

Ya I go on mp3car...it's a silly little hobby I have.

Alterac
07-15-2009, 09:49 AM
Crymson,

To get your audio to work over HDMI you have to select the HDMI audio soundcard driver in the control panel.

This switches audio from onboard, to the HDMI output.

nobb,

Have you tried any other tv's with it? or a different hdmi cable? (neither of these should be the problem tho).

How about checking to see if your outputing 720p @ 30 / 24 / 60 etc?

Did you see if these steps work:
http://www.laptops-drivers.com/dell-laptop/how-to-connect-dell-studio-15-with-hdmi-tv.html

Let us know :D

Crymson
07-15-2009, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Mar
I've got the Studio 15 with the ATI HD3450 video card in it, which operating system are you using?

EDIT - Have I seen you around the mp3car forums as well? I think I've talked to you online a few times.

I've got the same unit as you. I had to send it back because it wouldn't play commercial blu-ray movies, and i still have no sound. I'm going to try what altrack said, but i've tried just about every possible setting.

nobb
07-15-2009, 05:31 PM
^^I tried that link, still no luck. I dont have any other TV or HDTV source or HDMI cable to test out unfortunately...might have to go find someone else that does.

Really rather not to have to send back the laptop if possible...

trliniar
07-20-2009, 02:18 PM
when you have the laptop connected to the TV with the HDMI try playing around with the settings for multiple LCD's connected. press and hold the blue Fn key on your keyboard and press the F8 key which should be (CRT/LCD) it flips between multiple monitors.. set it to external display. Your laptop monitor should turn off completely, then just go through all the external inputs on your tv with the remote (Video1, Video2, etc) until you see your desktop show up

For sound go to
Control panel > Sound > you will see two audio devices, one is called speakers/headphones and the other is called HDMI > single click to select HDMI > at the bottom of that box click "set default" button. This should enable your HDMI cable to put out audio

if you dont see the 2 devices try downloading an updated driver for SigmaTel High definition Audio CODEC

Kavy
07-20-2009, 02:20 PM
Mine didnt work until in went with 186.24 drivers.
Dell has issues with a lot of drivers for HDMI support try what works with you.

nobb
07-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Kavy
Mine didnt work until in went with 186.24 drivers.
Dell has issues with a lot of drivers for HDMI support try what works with you.

What computer and graphics card do you have that suddenly had the HDMI working after installing 186.24? Dont know how comfortable I am with using non standard drivers...

HiSpec
07-20-2009, 02:53 PM
I had a very similar issue with my toshiba laptop. I fixed it using a non-toshiba verified video card driver set from a 3rd party hacker/modder.