PDA

View Full Version : Who's into BBQ? Proper BBQ - Smokey, low & slow

r3ccOs
07-15-2009, 01:18 PM
I've always enjoyed a nice rack of ribs, the occational brisket and rotissery chicken...

However, my attempts have been futile and I had always attributed it to my equipment... but really its my lack of technique and patience

I recently picked up a Webber q' and though it is superior to my old q', it really "grilled" my food the same...

After watching some BBQ shows, and reading some online articles... I really realize now that proper Q'ing is all about indirect heat, low slow and with smoke.

I unfortunately have a regular propane grill, but this webber has a built in smoke box, which to me is a "new" method to use.

Well, I followed some fool proof recipies online, and I'll never ever try grilling my ribs ever again.

Pretty simple, soak some wood chips -- all sorts of wood ranging from maples, hickory, mesquite, to apple. Throw it in the box, above the single burner...
Crank the burner to get the wood smoking, then turn it down until the Q' reads 210-230 and throw in your prep'd meat. Oh and you 'should' put a drip pan with some water underneath the meat (under the grill)

Wait and drink alot of beer... and then mmm mmm you have tender juicy flavorful meat.

I like making my own rubs and brines, especially for brisket and baby back.

I've also made pork shoulder for pulled park, butt for back bacon, and belly for succulant bacon...

I don't overpower the meat with yukky sweat bbq sauce, but flavors that enhance the flavors ranging from onion powder, paprika, brown sugar and garlic.
If I want heat, throw some cayanne into the rub...

Mmmm
Also because I don't pre-salt the meat, you don't get that dehydrated feeling after downing a rack of ribs or eating a pound and a half of bacon lol

sputnik
07-15-2009, 01:21 PM
LOL

Someones been watching too much Rob Rainford.

dawwgy
07-15-2009, 01:26 PM
high five o/\o

I am huge into bbqing and most the time i will use indirect. basically what you wrote above is how i tend to do things ... I have a really old bbq (plus a huge stainless steel one for grilling)with a left and right element, i use tinfoil with soaked chips to smoke the meat as the old ass bbq has no tray for that. I find my old bbq has character and that give the meat the extra flavor.

My favorite has to be pork tenderloin, it come out so nicely when smoked, I basically run on a paprika, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, brown sugar mixture onto it and use apple or hickory chips.

let it indirect for about an hour and then sit tented in tin foil for 10-15 min before i cut it into 1/2" slices then ake a nice blended sauce for it depending on what i feel like that day (made a peanut bbq and korean bbq sauce for it last weekend)

bbq'in is an art that not all can master, i cant remember the last time i had hotdogs or hamburgers touch any of my grills :barf:

Hash_man
07-15-2009, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
LOL

Haha my thoughts exactly,.... That show always makes me so damn hungry.

I have never tried the whole smoking thing myself, but I should one of these days. It looks delicious.

CSMRX7
07-15-2009, 01:32 PM
I have a smoker at the cabin in montana and the house in houston. I love to cook brisket. I would do it here too, but I like to smoke with Mesquite wood for added flavor, but don't know if you could get it locally and I bet it is $$$

sputnik
07-15-2009, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by dawwgy
i cant remember the last time i had hotdogs or hamburgers touch any of my grills :barf:

You apparently aren't making your hamburgers right.

r3ccOs
07-15-2009, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by CSMRX7
I have a smoker at the cabin in montana and the house in houston. I love to cook brisket. I would do it here too, but I like to smoke with Mesquite wood for added flavor, but don't know if you could get it locally and I bet it is $$$

bags from grillpro at Sobey's for $3.49
BBQ Galore
Bass Pro Shop
Wholesale Sport

r3ccOs
07-15-2009, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Hash_man

Haha my thoughts exactly,.... That show always makes me so damn hungry.

I have never tried the whole smoking thing myself, but I should one of these days. It looks delicious.

Steven Raichlen

BBQ University...
Damn I went to the wrong school

dawwgy
07-15-2009, 01:53 PM

You apparently aren't making your hamburgers right.

im talking moreso the ones that are store bought (usually frozen) ... I hate it when someone invites me over for a bbq and its those tiny hotdogs and frozen hamburgers

hamburgers that are homemade with more ingredients then just ground beef and onions can be ok but there is so much more that that bbq can be used for!

r3ccOs
07-15-2009, 02:04 PM
I have to admit, I do like grilling dem superstore 1/4 - 1/3oz burgers, and they come in alot of variety ranging from Sirloin, Prime Rib to Chedder

ExtraSlow
07-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Superstore has some fine burgers.
I've done the low heat smoking on my propane grill using a cast iron smoker box. Result was pretty good, but too much hassle for the result. I most only grill now with direct heat, and the occasional cedar plank salmon.

picmerollin
07-15-2009, 03:11 PM
Oh man, I am all about taking the time to do it right.

I have a normal propane grill that gets quick duty meals and slow rotisserie chickens/roasts etc, this is perfect when I need to grill up something quick or need the rotisserie.

but when its time to pull out all of the stops nothing beats the good old weber charcoal grill. It can be low and slow or hilariously hot for that perfect seared steak, and acts as a smoker if I want. The charcoal is definitely more time consuming and more prep/clean up, but for some reason it just tastes better.

and nothing beats hand made burgers

use: onion powder, garlic pow, paprika, brown sugar, cayyenne, italian seasoning, fresh black pepper and whatever the hell else you feel like, add some diced onion, 1 egg and a pound or so of lean ground beef.

make the patties even sized, and grill. Pro-tip- make the burgers a little thinner in the middle and they will shrink less.

pre fab burgers are crap in comparison, but I will say they do perfect for last minute or when you are grilling for alot of people who may not appreciate the time spent making from scratch.

GQBalla
07-15-2009, 03:14 PM
LOL

is that the black guy on food network?

if so damn that guy can bbq!

BerserkerCatSplat
07-15-2009, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by dawwgy

I hate it when someone invites me over for a bbq and its those tiny hotdogs and frozen hamburgers

You hate it when people invite you over for free food? This is probably why you don't have any friends. :devil:

sputnik
07-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla

is that the black guy on food network?

if so damn that guy can bbq!

http://masimiso.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/40thbirthdaybash320.jpg

dawwgy
07-16-2009, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

You hate it when people invite you over for free food? This is probably why you don't have any friends. :devil:

yeah buddy thats it ... yeah u got it ... loser :poosie:

r3ccOs
07-16-2009, 09:04 AM
made me some tasty side ribs with some hickory and apple smoke

Mmmm mmm

Too bad I ran out of propane halfway thru and had to cook till midnight
ARG!

texasnick
07-16-2009, 10:50 AM
That's pretty much the way I smoke my briskets. I do a few things slightly differently though.

I only soak half the wood chips and leave the other half of them dry. I find it helps the "smokiness"

I usually get a shallow pan and fill it with beer or whiskey or tequila and put it over the hot part of the grill to help fill the BBQ with delicious alcohol vapors.

The wood chips I just wrap in aluminum foil and poke holes in. It's cheap and pretty easy.

Boiling the brisket a little bit before hand helps make the meat more tender once it's smoked

I usually place the brisket on the grill with the "fatty" side facing up, so the fat kind of leaks down through the meat.

Sounds like you have found yourself a delicious hobby.

Smoking Food > all

also,

Homemade Rub > Anything else, especially BBQ sauce. Us Texans like our BBQ without sauce.

jonnycat
07-16-2009, 11:06 AM
Superstore's Double Cheese and Bacon burgers are awesome.

A homemade burrger is usually best, but when time doesn't permit these work real well.

r3ccOs
07-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by texasnick
That's pretty much the way I smoke my briskets. I do a few things slightly differently though.

I only soak half the wood chips and leave the other half of them dry. I find it helps the "smokiness"

I usually get a shallow pan and fill it with beer or whiskey or tequila and put it over the hot part of the grill to help fill the BBQ with delicious alcohol vapors.

The wood chips I just wrap in aluminum foil and poke holes in. It's cheap and pretty easy.

Boiling the brisket a little bit before hand helps make the meat more tender once it's smoked

I usually place the brisket on the grill with the "fatty" side facing up, so the fat kind of leaks down through the meat.

Sounds like you have found yourself a delicious hobby.

Smoking Food > all

also,

Homemade Rub > Anything else, especially BBQ sauce. Us Texans like our BBQ without sauce.

I think its almost a "must" to wet the wood chips. I mix up the wood as well, sometimes using dry apple or maple to accent wet hickory.

I've used beer in the pan before, but honestly I've not noticed as much of a difference, much like the use of mustard or sometimes paprika.

A standard "good" southern rub usually consists simply of brown sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, caynne pepper, kosher salt and pepper. Then anything else you'd like like cumin, thyme, basil etc...

Yup, low & slow foods rock!

I'm thinking of getting a kettle just for this purpose

signature7
07-17-2009, 08:53 AM
My dad needs an upgrade on our current bbq which has a lot of character as well.

What would you guys recommend? OP mentioned Webber Q, is that the way to go?

sputnik
07-17-2009, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by signature7
My dad needs an upgrade on our current bbq which has a lot of character as well.

It depends on his budget.

There are some really good BBQs in the $600-1000 range. However you can also get good BBQs in the $2500+ range.

Dirty_SOHC
07-17-2009, 10:32 AM
Whats the best bbq in the 1000 dollar range? I cant seem to make up my mind on any of them and my only requirement is stainless steel grates....

Impreza
07-17-2009, 11:14 AM
We bought a Napoleon a few summers ago, been working great so far!

Rat Fink
07-17-2009, 11:35 AM

eb0i
07-17-2009, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Impreza
We bought a Napoleon a few summers ago, been working great so far!

:thumbsup: Bought a Napoleon Gas Grill from BBQ's Galore in early spring. Love the thing!

signature7
07-17-2009, 02:13 PM
Holy crap, I just checked some of those prices out :eek: . I was thinking of buying it for him but looking into the 500-700 max price range lol. Baller on a budget :P lol

eb0i
07-17-2009, 04:27 PM
Back on track to the topic. I made some awesome ribs a few weeks back on indirect heat...:drool:

r3ccOs
07-17-2009, 04:37 PM
$229 for a 26" webber kettle is all you need

The way you buy a "q"...

Screw the asthetics

Its about size, and the ability to heat the size appropiately and the features.

You want a cast iron grill, and it can be porceline covered
You want the right size for the amount you will be cooking
You want multple burners ranging from 3 - 6, for indirect cooking as mentioned
You want the BTU range to be within 1000 per square inch, to be able to "sear" your meats to approximateyl 600-650F

Other features like infrared rotisery or my smoke box, are just value added features... often not worth paying extra for

Now it comes down to brand and reputation; for instance... Home Depot carries Charmglow which is what I'd call a mid-price q' ranging to $800
Thing is, much like many other "stainless look" Q's, they are made of poor grade metals, poorly designed, heat unevenly and are impossibly to find parts for.
This goes for so many of Q's from walmart, superstore, sears and even CT.

Now the makers of Broil Mate, also make Sterling, Broil King and Webber. They are canadian designed and can tolerate year round cooking. Their steel or aluminium apparently doesn't tend to rust nearly as easy and parts are easy to find.
Parts do need replacing, fittings and the "flavor wave" heat shield are common.

My neighbor's $300 3 burner 45,000BTU Broil mate w/ a side burner is a fantastic value and really is almost as solid as my webber at less than half the price. Mind you my grills are heavier duty.

BBQ' galore otherwise is the place to look... Napoleon is also another name second to none.

r3ccOs
07-17-2009, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by eb0i
Back on track to the topic. I made some awesome ribs a few weeks back on indirect heat...:drool:

Brisket's been on for the last 7hrs

just waiting patiently

Man I need a smoker

r3ccOs
07-22-2009, 11:13 PM
Brisket turned out not bad... the fat cap was trimmed too much by the packer...

anyone have any luck with Hirsche's meats in Okotoks? I hear its a great spot.

Adrenaline101
07-25-2009, 03:55 AM
I bbq on a big cheapo Brinkman 4 burner from walmart. Despite it needing new grates cuz they are cheapos, it has treated me well.

All this talk about ribs has made me want to slowcook up some Rootbeer ribs. Make a lil tinfoil deep pan for them, and soak em in rootbeer and sweet bbq sauce for hours in indirect heat.
When they are done you can suck the sweet meat right off the bone. (take that as sick as you want, but damn its good)

r3ccOs
07-29-2009, 11:51 PM
Just made me a 7lb full brisket that I bought from Hirsche @ $9 per kg for AAA, 21 day aged, Alberta grain fed Angus.

Cooked from 9 AM - 6 PM on indirect low with Alder/Hickory chips with a typical brown sugar/paprika/cumin/thyme/onion/cayanne rub to an internal temp of 185ish

All I can say is mmm mmm mmm

This "packer" brisket had alot of fat on it, which rendered and moistened the meat and gave it that tasty tasty beefy flavor.

Low & Slow using 4 pouches of wood... tasty

This is perhaps the "meatiest" tasting cut I've ever eaten. That tough muscle/connective tissues broken down by the melting fat over 8 hours of slow cooking @ 240f just works so damned well...

I'm a huge prime rib fan, and a real big fan of Tri-Tip roasts, but this one by far has the best flavor... maybe not the best texture, as its not to be eaten rare at all, but yea... really the best flavor.

By this point though, its time for me to go and re-fill the propane, but honestly I think I'm going to run to BBQ's galore tomorrow and buy me a Webber 1-touch 22.5" Gold Series.

I was at my friend's place over the weekend, and its just something about lighting a chimney then stoking a pile of charcoal that makes cooking an event. It also seems to be easier to manage for "smoking" as you don't have to wait for the smoker pouches or box to re-light again.

Kritafo
07-30-2009, 04:13 AM
mmm the brisket sounds delightful. The Webber 1-touch you is the one I just finished reading about. They have a smoker conversion kit for this bad boy.

So are you planning on smoking just in the BBQ or converting it to a smoker?

http://www.cajunbandit.com/

We are hoping to make it to BBQ's Galore this weekend because I have the smoked meat blues.

RC-Cola
07-30-2009, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by Dirty_SOHC
Whats the best bbq in the 1000 dollar range? I cant seem to make up my mind on any of them and my only requirement is stainless steel grates....

I'd agree with the Napoleon grill or I bought Vermont Castings grill a couple of years ago. THe sole reason I bought it was because the lid is super heavy so I can still 'que in the winter and control the heat because the metal/insulation is so thick.

I'd agree if you really want to BBQ'ing right and you have the time, nothing beats doing it through charcoal on a cheap Weber bubble BBQ!

texasnick
08-05-2009, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Kritafo
mmm the brisket sounds delightful. The Webber 1-touch you is the one I just finished reading about. They have a smoker conversion kit for this bad boy.

We are hoping to make it to BBQ's Galore this weekend because I have the smoked meat blues.

It's super easy to just use a regular BBQ to smoke. The downside is they don't seal as well as the real smokers.

One day I would like to go back to Houston to a place called Goode Co. BBQ and pick up one of their custom smokers made from a 55 gallon oil drum. They're a couple grand IIRC.

r3ccOs
08-06-2009, 10:10 PM
A buddy of mine who is a bit of a cheap-ass but huge into BBQ told me about a disposable BBQ that has some reasonable results is the Walmart Uniflame Kettle (specifically the kettle)

Its not nearly as well built as a Weber 1 touch, but its pretty much the same dimentions... but is only $69 bux

As a grill, its alright apparently, but it will use more Charcoal than a Webber as its thin metal will not trap the heat in as well.
However its versitility sits with the Ash Can, which is a feature you'll never see in something this priced.

Just use the Ash Can itself to smoke from (something you wouldn't want to do on a more expensive Weber Gold)

I was told to use the Ash can for your charcoal & wood, then place a shallow bowl or metal pan on the Charcoal grate (with or without water depending on heat), place your meat on the grill and adjust the heat accordingly and voila you got yourself a smoker.

So if you want to get into Charcoal, have something you can bring to a camp site, and use as a smoker... its not a bad value for the price.

Although, you could just buy a Weber 1 touch for the price of 2 of them...

r3ccOs
08-10-2009, 10:40 PM
I found a Weber One-touch Silver at Rona for 95 bucks.. It was the last at the one in the south, but yea its nice having a couple around.

These are built so much better than any of the immitators including the ones mentioned from MasterChef, Uniflame etc... and at this price its way too hard to pass up.

I made me some ribs on my gold, and did me up a beer can chicken on the silver.

In fact, at this price, I would have passed up on the gold if it werre priced like this before.

The gold is nice for its Ash Catcher, side lid holder and thermometer, but I make due with a thermometer in the vent holes and use a old pot to catch the ash when I clean anyways.

Boy you can't beat good lump charcoal, hickory smoke in a Weber Kettle

r3ccOs
08-11-2009, 10:28 PM

I think I'm gonig to convert my one touch to this... the shorter legs will be better for taking to the campsite and hey, i'll have a 22" smokey mountain that I can grill on for about $300!

r3ccOs
08-12-2009, 10:15 PM
I think i may have found something cheaper and even easier

http://www.smokenator.com/

Kritafo
08-13-2009, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by r3ccOs
I think i may have found something cheaper and even easier

http://www.smokenator.com/

Thanks for posting...Are you going to buy this? I was hoping to have our smoker ready but we had company drop in from out of country and I haven't done anything about the smoker yet.

r3ccOs
08-13-2009, 03:09 PM

Thanks for posting...Are you going to buy this? I was hoping to have our smoker ready but we had company drop in from out of country and I haven't done anything about the smoker yet.

I've been talking to a buddy, who said its just not worth while... not that the product is bad, it isn't... Just not needed in Canada as we don't approach those ridiculious hot temps in the South.

If anything, which he advises me just to buy an 18.5 WSM...
or said "fine just get the Cajun Bandit, because its basically a 22.5 WSM."

Why? Not that it'll perform much better, but rather longer.
Rather than filling up the water and adding fuel every hour, you can just "set it & forget it" as you can use the entire bottom charcoal grate and a full water pan, rather than just a small amount on a side grate.

My buddy's WSM 18.5" will never get hotter than 250, and the charcoal can last for up to 9 hours, which he then gets up and enjoys his fresh back bacon.

That being said, for $57 its still a bargin and I may be tempted to sway.

He told me this is the best approach for indirect on Weber Kettle:

Pour unlit charcoals up to 2-3 layers deep into the quarter of the Kettle

Heat up only a 1/4 of a Chimney and pour on top

Setup as usual, with a drip pan beside w/ a bit of water beside the coal and put the food grate on top.

IF required, put a drip pan on top of the food grate right above the coals with your required amount of water. It will hold more water than the smokenator and will provide the "heatsink & humiditiy" if needed.

Control heat with bottem vents, leave top open. Only close top vent if heat is too great.

The key is to light only 1/4 of a chimney and to pour on top, not underneath the unlit charcoal.

*if smoking, place wood chips or chunks inbetween the unlit charcoal, and pour hot charcoal on top. It allows for smoldering rather than burning*

Its easier to bring up the heat rather than trying to reduce it!

I've been basically heating up a full chimney and pouring charcoal on top... which has resulted in ridiculious heat, requiring me to shut the vents to get it smoldering down... but it has heated back up beyond what I required.

I'm going to try this when I get home :D

p.s. My buddy works in Tofino/Ucluelet as a Bank Mgr, but happens to be a pit boss of a bbq catering company as a hobby

Kritafo
08-13-2009, 04:56 PM
Excellent thanks for the run down!

legendboy
08-13-2009, 05:23 PM

He told me this is the best approach for indirect on Weber Kettle:

Pour unlit charcoals up to 2-3 layers deep into the quarter of the Kettle

Heat up only a 1/4 of a Chimney and pour on top

Setup a usual, with a drip pan beside w/ a bit of water beside the coal and put the food grate on top.

IF required, put a drip pan on top of the food grate right above the coals with your required amount of water. It will hold more water than the smokenator and will provide the "heatsink & humiditiy" if needed.

Control heat with bottem vents, leave top open. Only close top vent if heat is too great.

The key is to light only 1/4 of a chimney and to pour on top, not underneath the unlit charcoal.

*if smoking, place wood chips or chunks inbetween the unlit charcoal, and pour hot charcoal on top. It allows for smoldering rather than burning*

Its easier to bring up the heat rather than trying to reduce it!

I've been basically heating up a full chimney and pouring charcoal on top... which has resulted in ridiculious heat, requiring me to shut the vents to get it smoldering down... but it has heated back up beyond what I required.

I'm going to try this when I get home :D

p.s. My buddy works in Tofino/Ucluelet as a Bank Mgr, but happens to be a pit boss of a bbq catering company as a hobby

I hope you are talking about lump charcoal and not charcoal briquettes :barf:

r3ccOs
08-13-2009, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by legendboy

I hope you are talking about lump charcoal and not charcoal briquettes :barf:

I use lump... but so far I've had better heat management with 100% natural briquettes, which most Pro's will use..

As long as if its 100% using a starch binder rather than glue, you're fine.

Lump & 100% natural briquettes can both be used before it ashes over... but Lump is the hottest and has the less amount of Ash, which is why I use it.

Best cheap charcoal is Royal Oak... you can get a 20lb bag for 12.98 at Canadian Tire... it tastes good and is of good quality.

The best is probably Maple Leaf, which can be bought at BBQs Galore, and its $20 a 20lb bag... mostly for taste and consistancy for size (as lump is all sorts)

Briquettes... the Natural Grilling ones from Walmart are actualty quite tasty to cook with, and are about $7 a bag for 9lbs.. so its quite pricy as well

You need more briquette than lump to do the same job, you also have much more ash

But its consistant size and weight = most controlled heating

I'd never ever buy kingsford unless I was desperate and at that make sure all the crap is burnt off by making sure it ashes over a good 25 minutes at least.

Also, you never ever need lighter fluid... Get a Chimney
You hate paper ash... use pam spray'd paper towel, just 2 pieces

Even better: If you're like me, you'll only use the side burner of your gas grill for one thing now... to light the chimney CRAZY fast..

I can have charcoal ready using the side burner in a chimney in like 3 minutes

legendboy
08-13-2009, 10:48 PM
i have been bbq'ing with charcoal, and smoking with charcoal for a long time but i would never add them until they are ready ie. grey

r3ccOs
08-13-2009, 11:05 PM
i have been bbq'ing with charcoal, and smoking with charcoal for a long time but i would never add them until they are ready ie. grey

Lump charcoal burns way hot and doesn't require to be ashed at all... its much more flexable this way

Briquette needs to due to the unnatural process of which they are made, unless 100% natural with no artificial binders

If this is the case... how do you add charcoal when smoking? Do you heat a chimney every time you need a "bit" of coal?

eb0i
08-14-2009, 01:21 AM
Did a 4lb beer can chicken during the weekend....:drool:

r3ccOs
08-14-2009, 05:39 AM
looks like the method I was talking about is called the minion method
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/fireup2.html#minion

legendboy
08-14-2009, 09:19 AM

Lump charcoal burns way hot and doesn't require to be ashed at all... its much more flexable this way

Briquette needs to due to the unnatural process of which they are made, unless 100% natural with no artificial binders

If this is the case... how do you add charcoal when smoking? Do you heat a chimney every time you need a "bit" of coal?

yep

r3ccOs
08-14-2009, 11:07 AM

yep

lol too much work

Read the article about the Minion lighting?

cancer man
08-16-2009, 02:13 AM
Brisket and corn bread with a nice cold beer.
That's the one thing a liked when i was in Texas for training.

cancer man
08-16-2009, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by signature7

It depends on how much he BBQ'S i think it's a personal thing
and he'll know the right one when he sees it.

Kritafo
08-16-2009, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by cancer man
Brisket and corn bread with a nice cold beer.
That's the one thing a liked when i was in Texas for training.

lol! This is what I am doing today. Just got my corn bread ready to go into the oven and the brisket has been on since 8 am. ...11 am is just too early for beer today.

r3ccOs
08-18-2009, 11:09 AM
I made a tasty smoked pulled pork picnic the other day w/ lots of apple and mesquite (probably should have just left it apple)

Man it was a long cook, 15hrs in all... but a good learning experience

Made some baby backs last night as well

What has worked the best for me from a heat managemenet perspective is to use a water pan above the charcoal for indirect cooking.

Its much more functional than putting water in the drip pan under the food. Its basically a heat sink that moderates the temperature, and allowed me to cook at a consistant 225-250deg @ the grill for almost my entire cook duration with minimal adjustments to the vent while the charcoal burns down.

bobjr
08-21-2009, 09:54 AM
Another thing to look for is a Bradley smoker. Yes, its more expensive and the wood "pucks" cost a bit, but its really turn it on and leave it for the day.

I have a water smoker too and I forever need to tend the charcoal (real stuff not crap) to make sure things are the right temp. Fill the water... on and on. If I had nothing else to do, this would be fine. I have not tried other methods as I see them as time consuming as well.

So... about two years ago in comes the bradley. Was at Canadian Tire on sale, got a bunch of pucks on sale too. Now the process is to put rub on meat (brisket, or pork butt, ribs too) leave it sit in the fridge overnight - same as any other smoking method. In the morning load the smoker up with pucks and water and the meat. Hook up the remote thermometer to the meat, set temp on smoker and turn it on. Come back later in the day when meat is at appropriate temp and open smoker up and wrap meat in foil, then towel, then a cooler for a bit (learned this from bradley forums). This allows meat to relax and still lets some cooking to occur. Does help with texture and flavour.

So if you have time there are more traditional methods. If you have some cash and no time I'd try a bradley. I don't feel you sacrifice much in terms of taste, maybe a bit in the "bark" of the meat, which is more appearance.

Jr!

r3ccOs
08-21-2009, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by bobjr
Another thing to look for is a Bradley smoker. Yes, its more expensive and the wood "pucks" cost a bit, but its really turn it on and leave it for the day.

I have a water smoker too and I forever need to tend the charcoal (real stuff not crap) to make sure things are the right temp. Fill the water... on and on. If I had nothing else to do, this would be fine. I have not tried other methods as I see them as time consuming as well.

So... about two years ago in comes the bradley. Was at Canadian Tire on sale, got a bunch of pucks on sale too. Now the process is to put rub on meat (brisket, or pork butt, ribs too) leave it sit in the fridge overnight - same as any other smoking method. In the morning load the smoker up with pucks and water and the meat. Hook up the remote thermometer to the meat, set temp on smoker and turn it on. Come back later in the day when meat is at appropriate temp and open smoker up and wrap meat in foil, then towel, then a cooler for a bit (learned this from bradley forums). This allows meat to relax and still lets some cooking to occur. Does help with texture and flavour.

So if you have time there are more traditional methods. If you have some cash and no time I'd try a bradley. I don't feel you sacrifice much in terms of taste, maybe a bit in the "bark" of the meat, which is more appearance.

Jr!

If you had issues with managing heat with a water smoker, it probably wasn't a weber smokey mountain...
My friends 18" lit minion style, has never got any hotter than 250 w/ water in the water pan. Also due to its metal quality, kettle like design, and its well sealed design.

He can leave a load of charcoal for 11hrs at 225, grate temp w/o any issues or maintenance at all.

& If he needs to do anything, its just to stir the charcoal at the 11th hour and add more water/coal.

The Bradley Smoker to me is a money pit... It works? yes
Its an electric oven w/ a cold smoker using their propriatary "pucks" that is put in a hopper.

How well does it work? Well.. you'd think it'd be simple, low heat & smoke.

For some reason, no matter how anything is done, brine'd chicken, ribs, shoulder... it all tastes like Bacon

Alright, that may sound good, but its expensive bacon.
A good low & slow cook, has that "southern" taste which goes beyond just the wood smoke... something about how you can make a better quality "bark" on the food and the taste of a flame you just can't reproduce with the Bradley.

Rather than a barbeque flavor, you get "smoke" flavor & thats what it is, a smoker.

My buddy's brisket "12lbr" on a Bradley took 25 pucks... which tallied up to $15

I could do the same thing with a couple chunks of season'd wood on a 1/4 bag of charcoal with a far superior product & taste.

97'Scort
08-21-2009, 11:31 AM
Haven't really read through the thread, but I'll give you my recipe for BBQ corn, it's fantastic:

1. Take the corn, husks and all, and totally submerge them in water for 1/2 hour. It helps to have a stock pot or very clean 5 gallon pail, and something heavy to put on top to keep them down.

2. Get the grill to medium-high heat.

3. Put the soaked corn (still with the husks on) on the grill. Turn every couple of minutes. Total cooking time (lid closed) about 20 minutes to 1/2 hour. The husks will burn on the outside, but the water that it absorbed will steam the corn on the inside perfectly.

4. Take the corn off the grill and take the husks off. It helps here to have a flexible, heat resistant pair of gloves here, since this shit is HOT. I recommend light mechanics gloves or similar.

RC-Cola
08-24-2009, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by 97'Scort
Haven't really read through the thread, but I'll give you my recipe for BBQ corn, it's fantastic:

1. Take the corn, husks and all, and totally submerge them in water for 1/2 hour. It helps to have a stock pot or very clean 5 gallon pail, and something heavy to put on top to keep them down.

2. Get the grill to medium-high heat.

3. Put the soaked corn (still with the husks on) on the grill. Turn every couple of minutes. Total cooking time (lid closed) about 20 minutes to 1/2 hour. The husks will burn on the outside, but the water that it absorbed will steam the corn on the inside perfectly.

4. Take the corn off the grill and take the husks off. It helps here to have a flexible, heat resistant pair of gloves here, since this shit is HOT. I recommend light mechanics gloves or similar.

Done this many times and it works great. I'd also suggest that just before you put the corn on the grill you can put a little olive oil on the cob and the bbq will soak it in nicely!

r3ccOs
08-27-2009, 02:45 PM
I made a nice 10lb brisket that I picked up at "Master Meats" yesterday (they're located @ 40th Ave/Center Street by the Tim Hortons)

I did it in my kettle w/o Water using firebricks indirect at a higher heat between 325-375 for about 5 hours and it turned out as well as my long 12 hour cooks at 210-225.

Fantastic :D

I also picked up a cute little Weber Smokey Joe Silver from Barbeque's Galore today and am looking forward to going to fish creek park and firing it up.

r3ccOs
09-03-2009, 10:59 PM
Man I've been having fun with my Smokey Joe & My 22.5 one touch

Its been fantastic... I've made two briskets on my 22.5 at relatively high heat and they turned out fantastic

Made a whole pile of loin back ribs with the 3-2-1 method and grilled up some nice AAA Ribeyes mmm mmm

Also doing alot of things like pizza on a pizza stone, grilled fruits with light glazes

Oh & did another pork shoulder picnic, which was delectable... Man I'm goin to be 800lbs soon, thank God I play soccer three nights a week.

The kettles grill, and cook indirect incredibly well, but I've learnt that its shortcomings is that you do have to keep an eye on it, when doing low & slow.

You can do alot of things, like foil tape the bottom vents where no coals are, use fire bricks to isolate/redirect heat and use a water pan and using briquettes (minion method) is better than lump in this application.

However its just not as seal'd and simple as the weber smokey mountain, so my next purchase when I move into my new house will be a nice 18.5 :D

Anyone going to the BBQ on the bow this weekend?

urban.one
03-01-2010, 09:23 AM
I was going to start a new thread when i searched and found some info in this on.

Theres been a few threads around here about smokers.

Ive decided to finally pick one up.

From the bit of research Ive done, it seems you really get what you pay for and that although cheaper smokers may look similar to something pricier, the performance does suffer.

A smoker that seems to be reviewed well is the “Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker.”
It comes in an 18.5” and 22.5” version. Locally Barbeques Galore sells them for $359.99 and $449.99.

Im wondering if anyone has any comments or recommendations on these two or any other smokers out there.

In addition to wood and charcoal what else would you recommend to get right off the bat?

http://www.barbecuesgalore.ca/cooking.bpsx?CookingID=57

http://www.barbecuesgalore.ca/cooking.bpsx?CookingID=99

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

r3ccOs
03-01-2010, 11:30 PM
WSM is the best residential, hell even commerical smoker you can buy for consistant quality cooks