PDA

View Full Version : Loose Change

anarchy
07-15-2009, 02:02 PM
Total random question, but what do you guys do with your loose change?

Do you roll them? Do you have a coin sorter? Cool piggy bank?

Recca168
07-15-2009, 02:03 PM
vending machine usually

sputnik
07-15-2009, 02:04 PM
In a jar.

Every year or so I roll it and take it to the bank.

Usually ends up being around $500-600

KRyn
07-15-2009, 02:05 PM
Strippers and a steak sandwich.

Doozer
07-15-2009, 02:12 PM
I use a piggy bank. I actually have 2 - an open one for quarters/loonies/toonies that I can grab quickly if I need C-Train fare or something, and then another one for pennies/nickels/dimes that I never take from except to roll.

That reminds me that I've actually got $50 in rolled coins that I've had sitting in my drawer from the last time I rolled them, and my piggy bank is almost full again.

However, in the last year I've started putting them into my 19-month old son's piggy banks instead (he got several as gifts when he was born), and we'll probably just add it into his education fund each year.

JfuckinC
07-15-2009, 02:15 PM
yah i just random containers laying around that i throw all mine in. i hate change and take it out of my pocket whenever i am at home.

GQBalla
07-15-2009, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC
yah i just random containers laying around that i throw all mine in. i hate change and take it out of my pocket whenever i am at home.

+1

Quizzes
07-15-2009, 02:19 PM
Coin sorter from Canadian Tire for like $10.

Carl64
07-15-2009, 02:26 PM
Strippers or I buy a pop etc. with it. Otherwise it ends up somewhere in my car rattling around.

SJW
07-15-2009, 02:28 PM
I let it get stolen out of my truck because I never lock my doors.

JAYMEZ
07-15-2009, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC

:werd:

Kloubek
07-15-2009, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by SJW

Ha! I couldn't let that happen just out of premise alone.

I have a nice asian-looking wood box I throw it into. Once it overflows, I know it is time to start rolling em' up.

Ben
07-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
In a jar.

This.

5000Audi
07-15-2009, 03:00 PM
i roll my change once a month, i save it till the end of the year and take it to the bank. usually get around 400 bucks

Swank
07-15-2009, 03:09 PM
I have a sort-n-bank dealio that separates the coins into tubes, and makes for easy rolling, then I bank it every once in a while. Don't use it very much ever since I got a bank account with free unlimited debit transactions, I seldom use cash anymore.

TDFTW
07-15-2009, 03:42 PM
The loose change gets automatically deposited to my savings. So if I spent 1.79 on my xl dd at tims this morning, it takes $3.21 and puts it into my savings as if i was spending $5 cash :)

debit ftw i hate cash

BerserkerCatSplat
07-15-2009, 03:44 PM
Am I the only one that was expecting that stupid video again? :rofl: I'm pleasantly surprised.

eblend
07-15-2009, 03:50 PM
At Winners downtown and they have this coin bank thing for cheap that counts your cash haha, maybe something you can look into

510-Trevor
07-15-2009, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by SJW
LOL thats happed to me twice in the last few months, now I make sure to lock the car before I go to bed.
I kept the change in the ashtray to use at Timmies.

In the house I use a coffee can and take it to the Salvation Army at christmas.

masoncgy
07-15-2009, 04:00 PM
Strippers? lol...

They still take pennies, nickels & dimes? ;)

darkkent
07-15-2009, 04:02 PM
mine always ends up in a tim hortons cash register

TDFTW
07-15-2009, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by masoncgy
Strippers? lol...

They still take pennies, nickels & dimes? ;) It's dark in there man. Buddy of mine got away with 7 posters one night by gluing few pennies together. apparantly it sounded just like loonies lol

Xaroxantu Zero
07-15-2009, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
Am I the only one that was expecting that stupid video again? :rofl: I'm pleasantly surprised.

I was, actually. :facepalm:

hampstor
07-15-2009, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

What video? The ass pennies?

Edit: nevermind, the 'loose change' video. :rofl:

Gainsbarre
07-15-2009, 04:49 PM
I just spend it? :dunno: I just keep whatever change I have here at my desk and spend it on some crap from a nearby food court maybe once a week for lunch. I keep most receipts so i can count out the exact change before heading out there.

Of course, this method failed me yesterday when I noticed that the toonie tuesday price at the KFC in Eaton Centre went up from $2.82 to $2.93 :banghead: I had to break a $20 bill and now have more change at my desk :rofl:, but at least now I have two stacks of change for exactly $2.93 each now -- as long as the prices don't change again for a little bit I'll be able to keep the level of change on my desk under control.

B4tMan
07-15-2009, 04:54 PM
I ask tellers for help to roll them and then they deposit them in my account. Most tellers are helpful if not a lineup, as it is a welcome break in their schedule.

diamondedge
07-15-2009, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Gainsbarre
I just spend it? :dunno: I just keep whatever change I have here at my desk and spend it on some crap from a nearby food court maybe once a week for lunch. I keep most receipts so i can count out the exact change before heading out there.

Of course, this method failed me yesterday when I noticed that the toonie tuesday price at the KFC in Eaton Centre went up from $2.82 to $2.93 :banghead: I had to break a $20 bill and now have more change at my desk :rofl:, but at least now I have two stacks of change for exactly $2.93 each now -- as long as the prices don't change again for a little bit I'll be able to keep the level of change on my desk under control.

Hahaha, spend some to get some. Pretty slick, watch, one day they'll lower it and you'll get pennies! Hahaha

msommers
07-15-2009, 05:28 PM
In a jar.

Do the tellers end up having to break the rolls open? Every time I go turn in rolled coins, this happens all the time. She said it's to ensure there aren't empty tubes or anything inside. 500-600 bucks would take fuckin forever to count!

Freeskier
07-15-2009, 05:53 PM
In a texas mickey of bacardi, it fits everything but toonies. ANd it takes forever to fill. I know i have almost 200 bucks and its about 1/5 full

Amysicle
07-15-2009, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Quizzes
Coin sorter from Canadian Tire for like $10. More like 10% of whatever you bring in.

Xtrema
07-15-2009, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Amysicle
More like 10% of whatever you bring in.

Really, that's how much they charge?

Old Snake
07-15-2009, 08:20 PM
This reminds me of a Seinfeld episode where George Costanza goes to the bank with all his pennies only to have the bank tell him he should roll the pennies himself lol...

swak
07-15-2009, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by TDFTW
The loose change gets automatically deposited to my savings. So if I spent 1.79 on my xl dd at tims this morning, it takes $3.21 and puts it into my savings as if i was spending $5 cash :)

debit ftw i hate cash

That sounds pretty sweet actually.

What bank are you with, and how'd you hook that up?

But i just have a jar for everything but pennies, and PB jars for pennies. (working on a 2nd jar).
But i work in service, so from tips i usually take home at least a handful of tonnies, lonies, and quarters home daily. It adds up fast.

Tik-Tok
07-15-2009, 09:35 PM
Change jar (Glenfiddich container actually). I just cashed mine in, $591.

Probably over $600, but I didn't feel like rolling the pennies, lol.

nonlinear
07-15-2009, 09:36 PM
i keep it in my pocket and spend it up on coffee, etc.

89coupe
07-15-2009, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by anarchy
Total random question, but what do you guys do with your loose change?

Do you roll them? Do you have a coin sorter? Cool piggy bank?

I give it to the little one, about once every 6 months she rolls them with Mom and takes it to the bank, in two years she has $1400 already...LOL

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-15-2009, 09:44 PM
I have a big bottle I throw it in.

Wraith
07-15-2009, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by swak

That sounds pretty sweet actually.

What bank are you with, and how'd you hook that up?

But i just have a jar for everything but pennies, and PB jars for pennies. (working on a 2nd jar).
But i work in service, so from tips i usually take home at least a handful of tonnies, lonies, and quarters home daily. It adds up fast.

TD has a thing called Simply Save that is similar to that

D'z Nutz
07-15-2009, 09:48 PM
I always make it a point to use my change before I break any bills so I rarely have more than a couple bucks worth of coins at a time.

Amysicle
07-15-2009, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Really, that's how much they charge?

The service won't come cheap--the machines will charge a 9.8 per cent fee. But the group believes the time saved sorting and rolling coins will be more than worth it to those who use the machines.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/Coin+changers+strive+earn+pretty+penny/1692484/story.html

Their website doesn't mention any fees. http://www.cashyourcoin.com/

Ihatetowait
07-15-2009, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
I always make it a point to use my change before I break any bills so I rarely have more than a couple bucks worth of coins at a time.

This.

All I hold onto is loonies and toonies that I just use for car washes/easy to put into "coffee fund" at work.

corsvette
07-15-2009, 11:27 PM
I save every single coin i get,up to around 5k now,i call it my CTS-V savings fund:D

max_boost
07-16-2009, 12:12 AM
I throw all my dimes/nickels/pennies into a jar and donate it when it's full. I only carry quarters/loonies/toonies.

Masked Bandit
07-16-2009, 08:11 AM
It all goes into a can and when it's full, it gets rolled. It usually takes about 1.5 to 2 years but the last cash out was just under $2000.

2002civic
07-16-2009, 10:13 AM
I'll keep it in a jar until it overflows and then roll it, but I usually pick out chnage when going to the train etc.

anarchy
07-17-2009, 12:07 AM
Whoa didn't think I'd get this many responses!

I guess I could just keep them in a jar or something, but I'm looking for something a bit more organized. Either something that you put you coins in and it rolls it for you, or at least something where its organized by coins (ie. quarters in one stack, pennies in another etc).

What's this $10 coin sorter at Canadian Tire?

I'm just sick of having loose change everywhere!

Berserker: I was thinking of putting "(not the video)" in the title haha!

Zero102
07-17-2009, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by anarchy

What's this $10 coin sorter at Canadian Tire?

This:
http://www.cashyourcoin.com/

Looks alright, but they mention specifically on the site:

We’ve had to learn quickly that in order to satisfy the growing demand, we must outsource a portion of the coin processing. As a result of this, our cost model has been unsustainably altered which necessitates a slight increase in our processing fee.

If it is the 9.8% that is mentioned earlier in the thread I think I will pass, if it was 2-4% I would probably just go for it.

I keep all my change in peanut butter jars, but they fill up so quick, I am tempted to get one of those big water jugs to use. It would be interesting to see how long it takes to fill up, and I bet it would be worth a couple grand once filled (even if it is mostly pennies as my change tends to be).

broken_legs
07-18-2009, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe

I give it to the little one, about once every 6 months she rolls them with Mom and takes it to the bank, in two years she has $1400 already...LOL

$1400 seems like a lot. Maybe you should be leaving bigger tips at lunch?

I can't believe this many people use cash. Cash is so 20th century.

Canmorite
07-18-2009, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by hampstor

What video? The ass pennies?

Ass pennies? :nut:

Tik-Tok
07-18-2009, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by broken_legs

Cash is easier to budget.

I take $xxx amount out every week, and that's my "allowance" for entertainment (dining out, booze, movies, etc.)

reiRei
07-18-2009, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

I take $xxx amount out every week, and that's my "allowance" for entertainment (dining out, booze, movies, etc.)

that's exactly what I do, helps save money...

I have 3 containers for change, 2 of them are the eiffel towers you can get from paris las vegas.. I use 1 for pennies, and 1 for nickels and dimes... and then I have one of those foot-long margarita cups holding my loonies, toonies and quarters....

max_boost
07-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by broken_legs

$1400 seems like a lot. Maybe you should be leaving bigger tips at lunch?

Negative. Cash is king. Always. :bigpimp:

Ben
07-18-2009, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

Absolutly.

n1zm0
07-18-2009, 02:52 PM
In a jar.

x2

edit: i'd like to try that cash coin machine, way easier than rolling up coins for 2 hours

CUG
07-18-2009, 03:32 PM
I buy my morning coffees with it...

Disoblige
07-18-2009, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Depends for some people haha. Some people find that NOT using cash will be better because your statements can show you your spending. Cash on the other hand isn't really tracked on where you spent it other than knowing you took it out.

flipstah
07-19-2009, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by max_boost

http://www.changetowin.org/connect/images/bin-dive.jpg

No one has ever said, "I wish to swim in plastic credit cards."

bg_27
07-20-2009, 09:17 AM
I carry cash because I don't want to use my debit card anywhere but a TD bank machine to avoid skimming. I use my visa for everything (even a $1 purhcase at 711, etc.) and places that dont take CC, i use cash.

Godfuader
07-20-2009, 09:50 AM
by BerserkerCatSplat
After seeing the number of responses, I figured the video had surfaced again. :rofl:

Manhattan
07-20-2009, 10:25 AM
Keeping hundreds if not thousands in a jar seems pretty old school. It'd be much better off invested rather than literally sitting idle.

I keep a small bit of change in the kitchen counter, car, and office to buy miscellaneous shit like coffee, car washes, and hamburgers. But I usually don't have more than $5 in change at any given time.

Surprised nobody brought this up but I really miss the US $1 bills. You can have a fat roll with $20. :D

Khalil.e
07-20-2009, 05:07 PM
12.9% at the Canadian Tire coin machine

Boomph
07-31-2009, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by msommers

Do the tellers end up having to break the rolls open? Every time I go turn in rolled coins, this happens all the time. She said it's to ensure there aren't empty tubes or anything inside. 500-600 bucks would take fuckin forever to count!

this i want to know too!

da9integ
08-01-2009, 12:28 AM
u of c parking. but they wont take pennies for some reason, no matter the amount. :dunno:

speeed
08-01-2009, 03:50 AM
piggy bank

Power_Of_Rotary
08-01-2009, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

http://www.changetowin.org/connect/images/bin-dive.jpg

No one has ever said, "I wish to swim in plastic credit cards."

id swim in a pool of plastic credit cards, if they were prepaid

Cos
08-01-2009, 09:50 PM
ash tray or drawer at home. Use it for coffees at tims at the basement of my work