PDA

View Full Version : what do I do with the dish ????

darkkent
07-16-2009, 10:48 AM
a few weeks ago I cancelled my starchoice/shaw satellite service.

they gave me a date when the service will be deactivated and when I asked when someone was going to take down the dish on the side of my house they said they don't do that unless I am moving and taking the service with me.

so basically I have to take it down myself but my question is what do I do with it?

is it in my interest to keep it?

is it worth anything so I can sell it or give it away?

or should I just toss it out?

GQBalla
07-16-2009, 10:51 AM
you can try to sell it or toss it.

star choice will always leave the dish on the side of your house just in case you move out and the people that move in will want the service.

saves them money

HyperZell
07-16-2009, 11:08 AM
I just did the same thing with Bell, and my dish is just sitting there. As long as they don't charge me for it, I'm fine.

cdnsir
07-16-2009, 11:11 AM
I tossed my old Bell one to the dumpster a while back, which was probably not the best idea... Because when I got Starchoice, and eventually cancelled Starchoice afterwards, I tried to put the receivers and the dish up for sale right, and it was sold within a couple of weeks. That guy in particular needed a full setup on his camping trailer so he was happy to take the whole package off my hands.

Might be worthwhile to put it up on kijiji before dumping it later. Having multi-dishes on a house looks kinda ghetto...

CookieMonster
07-16-2009, 11:12 AM
You might be able to sell it on kijiji or something :dunno:

HHURICANE1
07-16-2009, 01:12 PM
I just pulled mine down and sold it. Not like it is rocket science or anything.

GQBalla
07-16-2009, 01:55 PM
people will buy it cause they try to have multiple houses at one account for star choice.

so they all pitch in and pay one bill at the fraction of the price.

Kloubek
07-16-2009, 02:01 PM
I turfed mine. Didn't think there was any value in it - except perhaps for a large serving dish...

darkkent
07-17-2009, 09:26 AM
thanks for tips guys!
I looked on kijiji yesterday and there was a guy on there who was actually looking for one for his RV.
it looks like I might make an easy $50.

thanks again!

D'z Nutz
07-17-2009, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I turfed mine. Didn't think there was any value in it - except perhaps for a large serving dish...

Haha, if I had a spare satellite dish, the first thing I'd do is ride down a snowhill on it

Tik-Tok
07-17-2009, 01:08 PM
Our previous house owners left theirs, I haven't bothered taking it down. Why open up new holes for moisture, when it's been sitting up there all nice and sealed for years.