PDA

View Full Version : anyone here know what it takesto be a doctor at UC?

Impreza
11-02-2003, 10:05 PM
so how do i get into med school? what do i take at UC? natural sciences? any info is appreciated...
thx

Davetronz
11-02-2003, 10:09 PM
Sounds like someone wants to be a gynocologist!

Gondi Stylez
11-02-2003, 10:41 PM
http://www.med.ucalgary.ca/admissions/

there ya go man, good luck!!

and yes, some people do take natural sciences before they go into med. but i decided not to take it but its all up to u!

Impreza
11-02-2003, 10:43 PM
wat did u take then? are you in med school now? so i am guessing you got an overall GPA of over 90%?

Khyron
11-02-2003, 10:50 PM
Have a horseshoe up your ass. Seriously. My sister had a 4.0 GPA with all the pre-med stuff and was denied 3 times cause they just have way more students than spaces. (And yet, there's "Such a doctor shortage"). She ended up going to BC to do radiology.

Khyron

nismodrifter
11-02-2003, 11:08 PM
I am trying to do it.....

first year...take natural sciences....then 2nd year I am going into Biological Sciences

But...after seeing the way the chances look of getting in here I think I may be leaving calgary for 2nd year and med skool...if you plan on getting in here you have to have like crazy good marks (ie..4.0)

and now.....back to studying for me :(

nismodrifter
11-02-2003, 11:26 PM
any tips from any of you who have already gone this route would be appreciated

thanks

gkAeris
11-02-2003, 11:36 PM
i know it just doesn't depend on your school marks (although they have to be pretty high) but also ur extra circualr activity, like volunteering and stuff, they also look deeply to see if u are a "good" person

Stratus_Power
11-02-2003, 11:57 PM
your GPA only gets you the interview.. its all the extra stuff u do like volunteer work and what not that lands you a spot in the 100 nish seats

Khyron
11-03-2003, 12:01 AM
My sister did at least a years worth of volunteer work helping brain damaged patients at a hospital, the heart and stroke, everything.

I have trouble parting with 5 bucks for charity unless there's a car being awarded. She did everything she was supposed to, and she actually likes people - I really don't get it. Except there's 100 spots with 900+ applicants. Hence the horseshoe.

Khyron

max_boost
11-03-2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Khyron
My sister did at least a years worth of volunteer work helping brain damaged patients at a hospital, the heart and stroke, everything.

I have trouble parting with 5 bucks for charity unless there's a car being awarded. She did everything she was supposed to, and she actually likes people - I really don't get it. Except there's 100 spots with 900+ applicants. Hence the horseshoe.

Khyron That is what I don't understand.......all the deserving students should be admitted into the faculty......

Stratus_Power
11-03-2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Khyron

Khyron

did your sis applied after her 2nd year ? a guy lived acorss from me also applied w/a 4.0 ( got into U of A w/ 99% avg) and he didnt get in either.
it takes more than a year of volunteer work to get in !
but yeh its really hard to get into. your GPA 0only worth ~ 35% out of your application. and i heard you lose 5% automatically if u dont have a master/PhD haha

sandman
11-03-2003, 12:21 AM
6 things they klook at
GPA
Vounterr work/xtra curricular act./ work
an in class essay
interview
MCAT scores
3 letters of reference

nismodrifter
11-03-2003, 12:22 AM
I am really getting worried about my future in school :( Everyone talks about gettin a 4.0 and all that stuff but I can't see how it's even possible to do that good...unless you're gifted/rainman type person :D 80%+ maybe...but I can't see how these people can get like 99% on midterms and stuff. I study my butt off but when test time comes and I get into the room...I instantly get nervous (I can't help it....)

After getting hit with my first midterms I now realize that I have to really turn up the amount of studying if I plan on succeeding.......am I totally screwed if I didn't do too well on my first ever mid terms in university? I am one to freak about about EVERY little thing that goes wrong so this isn't helping me at the moment :(

B18C
11-03-2003, 12:32 AM
I'm in dentistry. It's not the same as med but at the U of A we are in all the same classes for the first 2 years. For med you need a GPA of about 3.7 to be competitive. The should at least get you an interview. Your prerequisite GPA is more important than overall (but again your overall should be around at least 3.7).

MCAT scores are really big too. Extracurricular activities are important but not as important as the other 2 (except for U of C which really emphasizes being "worldly").

For example, a friend of mine didn't get in at the UofC a couple of years ago. The next year she didn't take any more school (already got her degree) and didn't re-write her MCAT. Instead she went to south america for a couple months and worked with Habitat for Humanity and then went travelling around asia for a couple more months. She got in the next year.

For extracurricular stuff it doesn't necessarily have to be volunteering. It can be athletics, music, etc. BTW, all you need is 150 hours of hospital volunteering to get a letter of recomendation from them. Pretty much everyone and there dog that applies to med school has that so it doesn't really help much.

sandman
11-03-2003, 12:46 AM
is dentistry harder or easier GP wise?

Gondi Stylez
11-03-2003, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by Impreza
wat did u take then? are you in med school now? so i am guessing you got an overall GPA of over 90%?

no man im not in med school and my GPA isnt a 4.0

i was just sayin that most people start off in natural sciences and i decided not to! first year i think u have the option! i didnt want a natural sciences cuz i already knew i prolly wouldnt need those classes for a better chance, so i declared my major already in bio. sciences!

Gondi Stylez
11-03-2003, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
I am really getting worried about my future in school :( Everyone talks about gettin a 4.0 and all that stuff but I can't see how it's even possible to do that good...unless you're gifted/rainman type person :D 80%+ maybe...but I can't see how these people can get like 99% on midterms and stuff. I study my butt off but when test time comes and I get into the room...I instantly get nervous (I can't help it....)

After getting hit with my first midterms I now realize that I have to really turn up the amount of studying if I plan on succeeding.......am I totally screwed if I didn't do too well on my first ever mid terms in university? I am one to freak about about EVERY little thing that goes wrong so this isn't helping me at the moment :(

yo man i agree, but think seriosuly aboiut it! im also in my first year and people skills are more important in med. then education is! like once u have ur degree and shit yuou have to be able to relate to people and make them feel comfortable! like how many people like the bitchy doctors! NONE!! but the ones that have the brains AND people skills make it far! i agree with that and im sure most people do too! med. is one of those professions that the education you recieve will become second nature to you that you dont think about the books and just do it! like you dont think about a perticular lab about opening a patients air way when the guy is lying right in front of you and has the potential to die! those things just come naturally and its the people skills and friendships/contacts ull make along the way that will get you somewhere! i persoanlly think the "well rounded" students should make this profession and not neccisarily the "brains"! the 80+ studnets get cut because the average person would think that the 90+ students are better ppl! i beg to differ and will try my hardest with volunterring and all to make it in this field! i perosnally am not willing to take no for an answer and i hope you dont eithere if this is what u TRULY wanna do! ive wanted to be in medicene since grade 5 and now that im at the levele where i actually can see taht i could make it with countless hours of studying then im all for it! cuz the greatest satisfaction in life will come when u save a persons life! which is priceless and no amount of education would be able to tell you how to feel after that! and im sure ANY doctor will tell you that! so doent stress it man, im in the same boat and just try ur best and do the best you can, the rest should fall in place!! :thumbsup:

Impreza
11-03-2003, 02:01 AM
b18c: so how hard was it to get into dentistry? what was your GPA? did you go to UC before you went to UA to do dentistry? what kind of volunteering, extra curricular activities did u do?
thx!

Hakkola
11-03-2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by sandman
is dentistry harder or easier GP wise?

Dentistry is nowhere near as hard to get into, you can even take it at SAIT I think. I had a gf who had taken a year at SAIT, not sure if it was as an assistant or what, but she had no life at all while in the course, huge work load, but again, not as hard to get into...

Weapon_R
11-03-2003, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by Hakkola

Dentistry is nowhere near as hard to get into, you can even take it at SAIT I think. I had a gf who had taken a year at SAIT, not sure if it was as an assistant or what, but she had no life at all while in the course, huge work load, but again, not as hard to get into...

lol

You can't become a dentist out of sait.

Gondi Stylez
11-03-2003, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

lol

You can't become a dentist out of sait.

:werd: :rofl: :banghead:

Hakkola
11-03-2003, 03:04 AM
Must have dental assistant, I wasn't dating her when she was doing it, she switched to some legal program.

nismodrifter
11-03-2003, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by Gondi Stylez

yo man i agree, but think seriosuly aboiut it! im also in my first year and people skills are more important in med. then education is! like once u have ur degree and shit yuou have to be able to relate to people and make them feel comfortable! like how many people like the bitchy doctors! NONE!! but the ones that have the brains AND people skills make it far! i agree with that and im sure most people do too! med. is one of those professions that the education you recieve will become second nature to you that you dont think about the books and just do it! like you dont think about a perticular lab about opening a patients air way when the guy is lying right in front of you and has the potential to die! those things just come naturally and its the people skills and friendships/contacts ull make along the way that will get you somewhere! i persoanlly think the "well rounded" students should make this profession and not neccisarily the "brains"! the 80+ studnets get cut because the average person would think that the 90+ students are better ppl! i beg to differ and will try my hardest with volunterring and all to make it in this field! i perosnally am not willing to take no for an answer and i hope you dont eithere if this is what u TRULY wanna do! ive wanted to be in medicene since grade 5 and now that im at the levele where i actually can see taht i could make it with countless hours of studying then im all for it! cuz the greatest satisfaction in life will come when u save a persons life! which is priceless and no amount of education would be able to tell you how to feel after that! and im sure ANY doctor will tell you that! so doent stress it man, im in the same boat and just try ur best and do the best you can, the rest should fall in place!! :thumbsup:

:werd: It's been a life long goal (since I was small I've had it set that I will become a doctor) just now I am getting scared because I am having trouble with the first year of university :( I have NO backup plan.....either I become a doctor or I basically live on the street for the rest of my life :D I guess I am just going to have to MURDER finals to make up for some of my not so good midterms

thich
11-03-2003, 02:44 PM
i just had this conversation with a friend of mine this morning on the CTrain...

the issue here is: what will differentiate you from the other 900 applicants who did the exact same stuff as you?

marks is one thing...
extracurricular is probably the biggest thing like other ppl said: why not join a sports team? do some volunteer work? etc. etc.
do as much as you can to differentiate yourself...

and a 4.0 is not impossible -- just dedicate more time to ur studies.

in my first year of school i pulled a 3.47 with some half-decent study time etc.
and i know a few people who have 4.0s... just a lot of dedication

if you want it so badly, then try your best for it :)
goodluck guys

lint
11-03-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

:werd: It's been a life long goal (since I was small I've had it set that I will become a doctor) just now I am getting scared because I am having trouble with the first year of university :( I have NO backup plan.....either I become a doctor or I basically live on the street for the rest of my life :D I guess I am just going to have to MURDER finals to make up for some of my not so good midterms

I'm not trying to dog you, but just giving a realistic spin on things. Just keep in mind that there is a big difference between WANTING to do something, and being ABLE to do something. The selection process is rarely fair, and just because you are academically strong does not mean you would make a good doctor. However, with the number of applicants and the number of spots, I don't see how there could be a fairer or more accurate measure of someone's potential than the systems that they have in place now. I would love to be an astronaut, but I never will be because I don't have 20/20 vision. Nor will I ever be a horse racing jockey because of my big ass. Thems the breaks. If you are struggling academically, you either didn't set out to become a doctor, or you never looked into what it takes to get into med school. Either way you have a couple of choices. You either bust your ass and get that 3.7 GPA to get into med school, or you become a realist and get a backup plan. Struggling at school doesn't equate well with med school.
Talking to some friends of mine who have graduated or will be graduating soon from med, I will say this. I would much rather have the doctor who graduated at the top of his class, with the poor bedside manner over the doctor who graduated in the bottom 3rd of his class with the best beside manner. When it comes to my health, I want the best care, not the best sweet talker. The less mistakes the better. I'm not slagging on the second guy, because he is still called Dr., but if I had a choice of the two, I pick the former.

nismodrifter
11-03-2003, 04:03 PM
I understand what you're saying.......it's just so far I think I have found the transition between high school and university a little hard (all marks are based on tests unlike in high school where it was like 50-50)

The problem for me is freaking out over every test/quiz (for those who know me....you know what I am talking about, I literally get sick to the stomach right as I enter the test room).....and this is not doing me any good right now. I did not so well on my first ever midterms in university and am planning on improving on my test writing skillz and doing good on finals....

I think I have the ability to do whatever I want......it just working through the problems which come along the way which I am finding hard at the moment. I just hope that having 1 term go not so well will not effect me too much in teh end

Stratus_Power
11-03-2003, 04:36 PM
Im tryng to get into Med myself.. but like msot ppl i screwed up my first year.... working my ass off rite now on my 2nd year, pulling in some half decent marks, getting close to 3.7. trying to land myself a volunteer job at the hospital.. etc

but hey, U of A only looks at your 3 best years ( if you take the route of getting a degree first). So there is still hope for those of us who screwed up.

At first i was going to take like Honors in Molecular Genetics as a backup plan incase i do not get into Med, but i realized that it is rather risky. So right now Im planning on switching to just general science, and focus on my original goal without worrying what would happen i dont get in or whatever.

But none the less, kind of scary looking at the U of C Med Admission statistics. Average age is 25 years old, and the med program itself is 4 years + 2 years intern. so in theory we wont graduate til we are 31 years old when everyone else already has like a family w/ 2 kids.

rc2002
11-03-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by FastDak318
Sounds like someone wants to be a gynocologist!
:rofl: :rofl:

I wonder how many guys want to do that for real... You gotta take the good, bad, and the ugly though. And it's probably the bad and ugly who have all the problems.

For the rest of you, I took a year of PreMed but I gave up. Why work so hard in school to look at sick people your whole life? Just my $0.02

lint
11-03-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

:rofl: :rofl:

I wonder how many guys want to do that for real... You gotta take the good, bad, and the ugly though. And it's probably the bad and ugly who have all the problems.

For the rest of you, I took a year of PreMed but I gave up. Why work so hard in school to look at sick people your whole life? Just my $0.02

There is no real "pre-med". Pre-med would be to take all the required courses, and then fill up the remainder of your schedule with any mickey mouse course that will help you get the highest GPA. That needs to be your focus if you are trying to get into a professonal program. All that matters is getting in. That's the hardest part. Once you're in, you're gold. Like I said earlier, the guy who graduates at the bottom of his class, is still called Dr.
As for looking at sick people, pretty short sighted reasoning. I can think of very few professions where you can really help someone (depending on what area of medicine you focus on). And if that's not rewarding enough for you (you shouldn't be in medicine), my friend who is finishing up his residency in radiology figures he will bill $2M US in his first year, and that also includes something like 9 weeks of holidays.

lint
11-03-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Stratus_Power
Im tryng to get into Med myself.. but like msot ppl i screwed up my first year.... working my ass off rite now on my 2nd year, pulling in some half decent marks, getting close to 3.7. trying to land myself a volunteer job at the hospital.. etc

but hey, U of A only looks at your 3 best years ( if you take the route of getting a degree first). So there is still hope for those of us who screwed up.

At first i was going to take like Honors in Molecular Genetics as a backup plan incase i do not get into Med, but i realized that it is rather risky. So right now Im planning on switching to just general science, and focus on my original goal without worrying what would happen i dont get in or whatever.

But none the less, kind of scary looking at the U of C Med Admission statistics. Average age is 25 years old, and the med program itself is 4 years + 2 years intern. so in theory we wont graduate til we are 31 years old when everyone else already has like a family w/ 2 kids.

There's a different between "wanting" something, and "it would be nice to have" something. "It'd be nice to become a doctor" translates into "I could have done better if I studied more", "I'll study tomorrow night, there's a party tonight". "I want to be a doctor" translates into "Couldn't have done any better on that test, I studied all I could", "Going to wait till I'm in med school toparty it up". Sounds like you've made the right switch if you want to get into med. Make the sacrifice now for the reward later. If you really WANT it, it will be worth it.

sikh_n_destroy
11-03-2003, 05:35 PM
socre isnt everything they care for when u goin in medicine.....

u have to do really good in the interview that matters a lot too

total academic preformance, GPA, interview, MSAT exam....alll that matters...

lint
11-03-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by sikh_n_destroy
socre isnt everything they care for when u goin in medicine.....

u have to do really good in the interview that matters a lot too

total academic preformance, GPA, interview, MSAT exam....alll that matters...

GPA, MCAT score are still very large factors. If you think you have the interviewing skills to get into med with a 3.1 GPA and a mediocre MCAT score, more power to you. You had also better be an astronaut or been a member of the Canadian olympic team, or have some other kind of pull.
Think about it this way. Much easier to get in with a competative GPA (>3.6) and MCAT (>90 percentile) and an average interview, than to try to get in with minimal GPA (U of C's used to be something ridiculous like 3.0) and MCAT (~70 percentile) and a stellar interview. Look into the numbers for the people who have been accepted. UofC might be an anomaly, but you will be very hard pressed to find any med school that admits very many students with GPA < 3.6.

Stratus_Power
11-03-2003, 06:45 PM
U of A website has a much better explanation on how everything works. they divided the application up into different sections..
ie ( guessing)
pre-req 25%
Overall - 15%
Interview- 20%
Essay - 10%
Reference - 5%
MCAT - 10%
etc

so it kind of gives you an idea of what you need.. and they are almost all equally important

/////AMG
11-03-2003, 06:58 PM
Since most of you are in UofC Do anyone of you know when the deadline if for the Architecture course (Minor)? I am talking about the Septemp 2004 classes.

Thank you very much.

sandman
11-03-2003, 07:09 PM
well im scared and wanna giv up now lol
wat are the requirements for dentistry?? they make good cash too
anyone know?

Khyron
11-03-2003, 09:55 PM
Dentists also have the highest suicide rate. Don't base careers on what "makes the most cash". You will burn sooner or later.

Khyron

sandman
11-03-2003, 10:17 PM
ah i thnk i can get over the fact that id b professionally brushing ppls dirty mouths for a living, as long as i a decent wage...all i care about,

Stratus_Power
11-03-2003, 10:21 PM
my uncle is a dentist. he works for 2 weeks. then 2 weeks off.. 2 weeks on.. 2 weeks off.. not bad i msut say haha

AquamosH
11-03-2003, 10:25 PM
I hear that in nursing you learn in your first undergrad year a lot of the stuff students learn in their first year at med school, so some ppl are taking that route (i.e. using a nursing degree to apply to med school).

Gondi Stylez
11-03-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by lint
I would much rather have the doctor who graduated at the top of his class, with the poor bedside manner over the doctor who graduated in the bottom 3rd of his class with the best beside manner. When it comes to my health, I want the best care, not the best sweet talker. The less mistakes the better. I'm not slagging on the second guy, because he is still called Dr., but if I had a choice of the two, I pick the former.

yes i do agree with you, but in my post i also stated that a good mix of the two is the best and that is why i think the admissions office should rethink who them take and for what reasons! for example, if ur working with kids haveing the brains and the BEST bedside manners will make the difference, not JUST the brains!!

B18C
11-04-2003, 12:18 AM
For the newest class at the UofA the avg GPA is ~3.8-3.85 for dents and ~3.7 for med. I still personally think med school is harder to get in than dent school though. They look at much more than just your marks for med school when compared to dent school.

It's true that you need more than marks to get into med school but that is where it all starts. If you have crappy marks (ie less than a 3.5 or 3.6) you may not even get an interview. Without that you have no chance no matter how good your interview skills are. MARKS MATTER BIG TIME.

To be brutally honest, you pretty much have no chance for med school if you have less than a 3.5 average. In the stats you may see someone got in with a 3.3 GPA, or you may hear stories of someone that knows someone that got in with that kind of GPA. What you don't hear is that student had some ridiculous circumstances (eg. was in the olympics, spent 3 years in africa saving orphans, or got perfect MCAT scores, etc) and I'm not even joking.

That thing about dentists having the highest suicide rate: A 4th year student did a research project into it and found it not to be true. It's just an urban legend.

lint
11-04-2003, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by B18C
For the newest class at the UofA the avg GPA is ~3.8-3.85 for dents and ~3.7 for med. I still personally think med school is harder to get in than dent school though. They look at much more than just your marks for med school when compared to dent school.

It's true that you need more than marks to get into med school but that is where it all starts. If you have crappy marks (ie less than a 3.5 or 3.6) you may not even get an interview. Without that you have no chance no matter how good your interview skills are. MARKS MATTER BIG TIME.

To be brutally honest, you pretty much have no chance for med school if you have less than a 3.5 average. In the stats you may see someone got in with a 3.3 GPA, or you may hear stories of someone that knows someone that got in with that kind of GPA. What you don't hear is that student had some ridiculous circumstances (eg. was in the olympics, spent 3 years in africa saving orphans, or got perfect MCAT scores, etc) and I'm not even joking.

That thing about dentists having the highest suicide rate: A 4th year student did a research project into it and found it not to be true. It's just an urban legend.

Med school is generally harder to get into because there are more applicants. I remember a few years ago there was a decline in the number of applications for dentistry and alot of med hopefulls that didn't get in, just applied to dentistry instead. Everything else you said is bang on. Don't care how good your interviewing skills are, without at least a 3.6, you're SOL.

roopi
11-04-2003, 09:15 AM
goto winnipeg!!!

way easier to get into dentistry and med there.

when you do decide to apply don't just apply to one school. i had a cousin and friend do this. they both wanted to goto UBC but didn't get in 2 years in a row. apply everywhere! everyone i know that has applied to winnipeg has gotten in their first time. they had good grades, mcat scores and experience also though.

rx7girlie
11-04-2003, 04:33 PM

It's true that you need more than marks to get into med school but that is where it all starts. Without that you have no chance no matter how good your interview skills are. MARKS MATTER BIG TIME.

So true, I always say about myself, if I was granted the interview I would so be in... it's all up to my GPA/MCAT to get me there though... doh.

The first cut off with the volume of applicants IS MARKS, no matter how you look at it. The interview is used to guage your humanitary attributes - how honest you are when faced with crazy ethical situations, if you are consistent in replies etc and more. (And with the doctors I've seen and the people I know who have gotten into med school, my god, they really need to re-evaluate this method) too be more specific, ther are Seven attributes that they look for, according to my friend who use to do Dentistry interviews at UofA

I can remember this one story of a girl that came from China to become a dentist. She had top marks both GPA and the DAT so she was granted the elusive interview. When they asked her causually at the beginning why she wanted to become a dentist her reply:

"To get lots of money and bring all my family from China here"

She was cut immediately!! LOL

rx7girlie
11-04-2003, 04:36 PM
Oh and one really really good tip:

DO NOT do biochemistry as your undergrad degree. Stay away, I warn you... it will brutalize your GPA unless you

1. Are willing to work like a dog over the most trivial things
2. Love doing #1.

rx7girlie
11-04-2003, 04:38 PM
Also, I always here that UC is suppose to be Canada's "back up" med school to get into... so that really is your best bet.

rx7girlie
11-04-2003, 04:43 PM
Finally, while everyone has mentioned the GPA to be no less than 3.7

The MCAT "seeem" to allow a bit more leway that is, you can get away with the average 10's (out of 15's) to still be competative, but of course, the higher the more you stand out. Anything under 10's and forget it, time to re-write. Unless you get like, 15's in 2/3 and like an 8 in another section.. then I'd still go ahead and apply with that.

lint
11-04-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by rx7girlie
Also, I always here that UC is suppose to be Canada's &quot;back up&quot; med school to get into... so that really is your best bet.

It's considered Canada's party med school. I wouldn't say back up, because they have some odd criteria (ie national olympic team member, etc) I've known a few people who didn't get accepted with great grades, mcats and experience. Other's have. UofC seems to be a crap shoot when it comes to entry.

rx7girlie
11-04-2003, 04:57 PM
OK, finally gonna add last comment

there is a NY school based in the Carribean that is absolutely the LAST resort at med school.

check it out

www.rossmed.edu

sounds a little odd, but I know a couple people who are there right now. we'll see if they will be practicing in N.America in the future!

B18C
11-04-2003, 09:26 PM

Med school is generally harder to get into because there are more applicants. I remember a few years ago there was a decline in the number of applications for dentistry and alot of med hopefulls that didn't get in, just applied to dentistry instead. Everything else you said is bang on. Don't care how good your interviewing skills are, without at least a 3.6, you're SOL.

Well there are about 1000 applicants for med and about 130 spots. So your chances are about 1 in 9. For dent, there are about 200 applicants and they accept 30. So it's about 1 in 6.

lint
11-04-2003, 10:47 PM

Well there are about 1000 applicants for med and about 130 spots. So your chances are about 1 in 9. For dent, there are about 200 applicants and they accept 30. So it's about 1 in 6.

That's what I was saying. Although the ratios depend on which schools.

Gondi Stylez
11-05-2003, 11:15 AM
OK, finally gonna add last comment

there is a NY school based in the Carribean that is absolutely the LAST resort at med school.

check it out

www.rossmed.edu

sounds a little odd, but I know a couple people who are there right now. we'll see if they will be practicing in N.America in the future!

why do u say LAST resort?? is it that bad?!?! more infor!! haha :thumbsup:

also ye i know about undergrad in biochem! that would be brutal! but for me persoanlly should i take the class, or just forget it all together? and if this helps my undergrad is in neurogenetics!

fyi: i plan on moving to SF to go to med school there! anybody have any info on that med school (my cuz's teach/work there and said its really good) and requirements for a US-based school?!?! thanx!

rx7girlie
11-05-2003, 12:17 PM
for general information checkout these sites:

General Med School Site (http://www.aamc.org/)

WHO Directory of Med Schools in the whole world (http://www.who.int/hrh/documents/HRH_documents/en/index1.html/)

Finally more suited for you - the Frisco related (and Canada/US sites)

Link you to website of N.America Med Schools (http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/admissions.htm)

Hope that helps!

rx7girlie
11-05-2003, 12:20 PM
As for the biochem stuff... aside from the intro level (requisites anyway) those are easy as pie. The higher levels ones are OK too, they are really interesting but because the profs are so unbelievably picky over the most insignicant stuff, it is so frustrating (Biochemists think they are above everyone so are generally A-holes lol)

Gondi Stylez
11-05-2003, 10:56 PM
for general information checkout these sites:

General Med School Site (http://www.aamc.org/)

WHO Directory of Med Schools in the whole world (http://www.who.int/hrh/documents/HRH_documents/en/index1.html/)

Finally more suited for you - the Frisco related (and Canada/US sites)

Link you to website of N.America Med Schools (http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/admissions.htm)

Hope that helps!

As for the biochem stuff... aside from the intro level (requisites anyway) those are easy as pie. The higher levels ones are OK too, they are really interesting but because the profs are so unbelievably picky over the most insignicant stuff, it is so frustrating (Biochemists think they are above everyone so are generally A-holes lol)

thanx alot rx7girlie that helps alot! by the way where do you plan on goin? i remember reading in that other school thread that its ur 4th year in genetics also (i think) and that you plan on goin to med school??? have you though of places or even a final carrer choice? also ur at UA right?! again thanx for the sites!:D

B18C
11-06-2003, 01:45 AM

I have a biochem degree.

Gondi Stylez
11-06-2003, 11:17 AM

I have a biochem degree.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

rx7girlie
11-06-2003, 02:47 PM

I have a biochem degree.

haha then you know what i'm talking about.

I'll have a biochem degree too at the end of this year (woo-frikkin-hoo)

I'm UA right now, and hope for Med at UA too. Of course, I wont limit myself to applying there.

Also, since it is past Nov.1 (deadline for application) I will not be going for Med the next year, but rather will take a year off.

What I'll be doing?? Not sure, but definately NOT Biochem Graduate School....oh hell no, wouldn't do that if it payed millions

sikh_n_destroy
11-06-2003, 02:51 PM
well u mostly right.......
my cousin he had a GPA of 3.8 and the MCAT score of 92%
the ppl im edmonton still denied him admission because they said he needs to improve his communication and interviewing skills and stuff like that.....

GPA, MCAT score are still very large factors. If you think you have the interviewing skills to get into med with a 3.1 GPA and a mediocre MCAT score, more power to you. You had also better be an astronaut or been a member of the Canadian olympic team, or have some other kind of pull.
Think about it this way. Much easier to get in with a competative GPA (&gt;3.6) and MCAT (&gt;90 percentile) and an average interview, than to try to get in with minimal GPA (U of C's used to be something ridiculous like 3.0) and MCAT (~70 percentile) and a stellar interview. Look into the numbers for the people who have been accepted. UofC might be an anomaly, but you will be very hard pressed to find any med school that admits very many students with GPA &lt; 3.6.