PDA

View Full Version : "Exclusive builder" question

TC2002
07-16-2009, 01:25 PM
When someone says that there is an exclusive builder of a community, does that mean that no other builders will be in that community?

Example: Cardel Homes being an exclusive builder of a community. Does that mean that Albi, Morrison, Beattie, etc. won't be building there?

Reading previous threads, Cardel seems to have a pretty poor rating for beyonders. I'm assuming this is still the case?

Takemetoothemoo
07-16-2009, 01:40 PM
What Community?
My understanding is at that time they are the exclusive builder.

lint
07-16-2009, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by TC2002
When someone says that there is an exclusive builder of a community, does that mean that no other builders will be in that community?

Example: Cardel Homes being an exclusive builder of a community. Does that mean that Albi, Morrison, Beattie, etc. won't be building there?

Reading previous threads, Cardel seems to have a pretty poor rating for beyonders. I'm assuming this is still the case?

I believe it depends on who owns the lots. When new communities are zoned, the lots are snapped up by builders, and the builders with lots are the exclusive builders in the community.

dannie
07-16-2009, 02:01 PM
The way I understand it is this:

If you are looking at buying a home in Silverado (as an example), you MUST build with one of the following builders:

http://www.silveradounited.com/default.asp?V_ITEM_ID=982

You cant go in, choose a lot and have a custom home builder like Hammer Homes build in there for you.

But, if I am wrong, someone please correct me.

TC2002
07-16-2009, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Takemetoothemoo
What Community?
My understanding is at that time they are the exclusive builder.

No one community in particular. I was just reading an article trying to do research on Cardel and this is what I found:

http://www.househunting.ca/buying-homes/calgaryherald/story.html?id=d3ab8218-cbbf-45fa-91b0-b1fcd2770adc

It said that they are the "exclusive builder" and I thought it was weird that in a community there is going to be no one else but Cardel.

TC2002
07-16-2009, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by lint

I believe it depends on who owns the lots. When new communities are zoned, the lots are snapped up by builders, and the builders with lots are the exclusive builders in the community.

So it is possible for a builder to own all the lots in a community?!

TC2002
07-16-2009, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by dannie
The way I understand it is this:

If you are looking at buying a home in Silverado (as an example), you MUST build with one of the following builders:

http://www.silveradounited.com/default.asp?V_ITEM_ID=982

You cant go in, choose a lot and have a custom home builder like Hammer Homes build in there for you.

But, if I am wrong, someone please correct me.

Right, and that makes sense too. But at least in Silverado (or even New Brighton, where I was looking) there is a CHOICE of builders. That's what I'm wondering about, actually. Are all communities supposed to have more than one builder? It would suck if I liked a community and there is only one choice, and that choice brings in nothing but bad reviews!

lint
07-16-2009, 02:07 PM
So it is possible for a builder to own all the lots in a community?!

In this case the developer (Remington Development Corp) owns the land, and they've picked the builder (Cardel) to build the houses. This isn't uncommon, especially when it comes to large developments like this.

TC2002
07-16-2009, 02:35 PM
Good to know. Thanks for the insight!

I am not too hopeful that Cardel has made their reputation better, so that is unfortunate.

Masked Bandit
07-16-2009, 05:11 PM
Good to know. Thanks for the insight!

I am not too hopeful that Cardel has made their reputation better, so that is unfortunate.

Search my posts for my thoughts on Cardel.

In additional to my personal problems with Cardel I've had several clients echo the same thoughts.

iksnipus
09-26-2009, 09:53 AM
Don't build with them whatever you do. Come and see for yourself what kind of crap they build.

I've lived in my Piece of S*&% for the last 2-1/2 years and wouldn't recommend that company to my worst enemy.

Build with someone who is concerned with their reputation.

CARDEL is an Awful builder.

TC2002
09-27-2009, 09:16 AM
^Yes, I just read about your incident with them on your thread. Sorry to hear about the whole thing!

It's so frustrating because they are building that entire community that we are looking into and not leaving anybody with a lot of choices that way. We haven't done anything yet. I think there is only one person on beyond that had a good experience with them.

I wonder if there is anyone on here that actually works for them and if they can explain why there is more bad reviews than good?