PDA

View Full Version : Mahjong in calgary?

frnzyfyta
07-16-2009, 06:51 PM
I'd like to learn to play this game and purchase a tile set. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Darkenergy
07-16-2009, 06:56 PM
Chinatown :confused:

frnzyfyta
07-16-2009, 06:59 PM
anywhere more specific?

psycoticclown
07-16-2009, 07:00 PM
Lol. Chinatown and Asian friends. The more fobby they are, the higher the likelihood of them knowing how to play haha.

V6-BoI
07-16-2009, 07:03 PM
I'm sure there is a place in Dragon City Mall or the Chinese Cultural center that sells them.

And I'd suggest asking a friend to teach you, or maybe read up on it online how to play. You wouldn't wanna jump in and start playing with the people in China town if you are a noob. They'll hussle the shit outta you, and probably get impatient with you if you are slow and just learning.

stevieo
07-16-2009, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by V6-BoI
I'm sure there is a place in Dragon City Mall or the Chinese Cultural center that sells them.

And I'd suggest asking a friend to teach you, or maybe read up on it online how to play. You wouldn't wanna jump in and start playing with the people in China town if you are a noob. They'll hussle the shit outta you, and probably get impatient with you if you are slow and just learning.

hahaha but thats how you learn how to play quicker.
my cousin taught me how to play but he basically hustled my ass for sure. haha but it made me pay more attention cause I didn't wanna lose my money. and the impatient part is so true haha, i used to get bitched at quite a bit back when i was first learning cause i was slow...i've gotten faster but im still slow

project240
07-16-2009, 07:14 PM
For me it took a little while to learn. I sort of jumped right in having a very basic understanding of the game. After about 5 games over the course of a couple days, I had a much better idea of how the game works.

Now, my girlfriends family and friends always laugh when they learn that the "white guy" can play mahjong...:rofl:

Euro838
07-16-2009, 07:36 PM
What style does everyone play? Cantonese(14 tile) or Taiwanese(17 tile)? Personally I enjoy Taiwanese as there's more ways to win and ppl don't just hold onto tiles like in Cantonese and go to a draw.

yipb
07-16-2009, 07:39 PM
canto is funner

the legendary 13 tiles gets u good $$

rufi0
07-16-2009, 08:43 PM
online mahjong will give you a good idea of how it works. it's a lot of fun! like playing poker, but you need the patience for it.

frnzyfyta
07-17-2009, 01:05 PM
I have played a bit online and got a Chinese and shanghai mahjong game on my iphone that is definitely helping me learn the game. Unfortunately I don't have any friends that play and would prefer not to order the set off the internet.

G
07-17-2009, 01:07 PM
Go to Pacific Mall there is shop there that sells the tiles and tables. I think you can get a set for under $50.

frnzyfyta
07-17-2009, 01:26 PM
thats the place across from marlboro mall right? they have a grocery store built into it as well?

Xtrema
07-17-2009, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Euro838
just hold onto tiles like in Cantonese and go to a draw.

That's the fun part. Sabotage for a draw or risk losing to win.

GQBalla
07-17-2009, 02:19 PM
there are those gambling halls you can go to in china town.

only know of one but i have no idea on how to get in.

i would talk to fobby people and see how to play, or you can be like me match everything up and play chicken hands

G
07-17-2009, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by frnzyfyta
thats the place across from marlboro mall right? they have a grocery store built into it as well?

Yes

lilmira
07-17-2009, 02:51 PM
HK.yahoo has online MJ. There are three rooms I think. You can play with computer in amateur room, intermediate room are all people, advance are all hardcore that you need to have certain points to get in.

V6-BoI
07-18-2009, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by stevieo

hahaha but thats how you learn how to play quicker.
my cousin taught me how to play but he basically hustled my ass for sure. haha but it made me pay more attention cause I didn't wanna lose my money. and the impatient part is so true haha, i used to get bitched at quite a bit back when i was first learning cause i was slow...i've gotten faster but im still slow

Heh yeah I guess. I remember playing with my brother against my uncle when I was like 10 and my brother was 14 against my uncle and we got schooled and he made us pay him haha.

I learned playing MJ from my parents when I was a kid. Yup, white people play board games like monopoly on "game night" with the family, my family plays MJ.

ReflexFX
07-18-2009, 01:07 AM
hmm, i used to play MJ for fun, but never understoof how the points worked for flowers, winds, and specific hands. :(

frnzyfyta
07-18-2009, 10:03 AM
So i went to the pacific place mall last night and found a great shop for mahjong, they have a good selection of colors for the tiles and different qualities of tiles. Also accessories like mahjong tables etc. It was at Kinokuniya (Canada) Ltd. Gifts and Housewares. Seems like a family operation and they were very helpful. Now I can perfect my mahjong and hustle some people, overcoming my genetic disadvantage... I am white.

V6-BoI
07-18-2009, 04:25 PM
^^ nice work dude.

Heh once you start playing a lot, you can get one of these bad boys
ffheXp2oi4E

kbo
05-13-2012, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by V6-BoI
^^ nice work dude.

Heh once you start playing a lot, you can get one of these bad boys
ffheXp2oi4E

This would make an awesome mothers day/birthday gift for my mom. where can i find one of these locally?