PDA

View Full Version : Speedo Calibration - Pull Over

Ben
11-03-2003, 12:24 AM
Curious if anyone knows the specifics on fighting tickets based on speedo calibration and whether its off. Any guidelines on this?

I fired my oem rims back on and tested my speedos accuracy via gear ratio and engine speed versus speedo cluster and its off by a fair margin.

at 100km/h on my speedo I'm actually doing 110, at 140 I'm going 160 and at 180 i'm doing 205 and at 200 I'm doing 235.

Also, who can fix this so that is not off. if it was the other way around I wouldn't care, thinking I'm going faster than I really am, but if I think I'm doing 100 and I'm really doing 110, I could get pulled over and that would suck.

Hollywood
11-03-2003, 12:38 AM
Mr. Speedometer is the government approved official place.

4G63Power
11-03-2003, 12:41 AM
What you do is go to Mr.speedometer and get them to do a speedo calibration test. What they do is put your car on a dyno (or if you have AWD a road test) and they determine how much your speedo is out at various speeds. Then you get a report certified from them giving the results. You can then fight in court to get the speeding ticket amended to a charge under 55(1), Faulty Speedometer, which carries no demerits or conviction record. I believe Mr.Speedometer also calibrates too.

szw
11-03-2003, 12:43 AM
What do you mean engine speed? Are you going by your tach? You should factor in error of your tach as well.

Ben
11-03-2003, 12:44 AM
wicked, thanks for the help.

Ben
11-03-2003, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by szw
What do you mean engine speed? Are you going by your tach? You should factor in error of your tach as well.

I KNOW the tach is accurate as I had it calibrated and checked at the dealer a couple months ago. just to make sure, as its not the tach that goes with the engine in the car. its accurate all the way to redline.

Khyron
11-03-2003, 12:55 AM
And you're sure the total wheel diameter is right? It's not +sized? Even 1/4th an inch bigger would screw you up that badly.

Khyron

Ben
11-03-2003, 02:06 AM
yup, everything is correct, even tire pressure.

Davetronz
11-03-2003, 02:28 AM
This is normal.
I can get you my dad's customers name at Mr. Spedo, he might be able to give you a bit of a deal.

sexualbanana
11-03-2003, 12:09 PM
I went to Mr Speedo once and they said they only did domestics.

???

rc2002
11-03-2003, 12:33 PM
Mr. Speedometer's the only place in Calgary that is government approved. I'ts like $50 but it'll save you thousands in insurance for a big ticket.

I think your car has to be more than 3% off, otherwise it doesn't count. That's what the guy at POINTS told me. Mine was 3.5% so I got off with a faulty equipment charge.

Dallasandro
06-25-2006, 02:36 PM
*the following is hypothetical*

According to what I have read, Mr. Speedometer will get you off a ticket if your meter is off by more than 3%.

What would create that condition if the speedometer was initially correct?

Lower / Raise tire Pressure (what effect would each have?)

Get larger Tires (even if temporary - say winters etc.)

Get larger Rims (even if temporary - borrow friends 20 inch spares)

Install Broken Speedometer (just buy one in junkyard and break)

Does it matter which way the 3% goes?

Would True 100 kms/hr with a reading on speedometer being 110 kms/hr be just as effective in court as the opposite?

Just curious. I remember reading about taxi cabs using smaller tires to rip people off by travelling more distance for the meter

MudCrawler
06-25-2006, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
I went to Mr Speedo once and they said they only did domestics.

???

They did my g35:dunno: