PDA

View Full Version : Shawnessy Futureshop Scams...

psi_klops
07-17-2009, 07:54 PM
Hi All,

Brace yourself for a rant from hell... a legitimate one though!

I brought some Alpine Type X components /speakers and PDX Amps to be installed to Future Shop for installation.
(FIRST MISTAKE).

I had to bring the car back SEVEN times to get the stuff done.
It was done so poorly. Wires every where, amps not even bolted down and a whole slew more!

They even had the balls to come and charge me extra on the third trip b/c they miss quoted the job...this was a tough install (putting speakers and an amp in :dunno: )

Nonetheless, I wanted to be fair and paid the price.

Recently my tweeters blew so I took off the door skin to remove the tweets only to find that half the stuff supplied we not even installed!! The crossovers were not put in...or returned to me...they just took it. The oem speakers wires were cut and twisted into the new ones. etc)

I talked to the intstaller (Austin - who is a complete... well you know). He didn't put it in b/c "it was too difficult and every car has crossovers anyway so you don't need it." (so where are my type x at??)

The manager was a freak who didn't take me seriously and said all he could do was give me another install b/c I did't buy the speakers from them (even though their negligence caused the Fu*k up)

I could go on forever, but long story short be carefull at Shawnessy Future Shop.

PS. Austin want to be the install manager but he won't even do work on his own car...its too complicated.:facepalm:

dj_rice
07-17-2009, 08:27 PM
That sucks, if I were you I'd complain to upper management, send off a complaint email and threaten to go to media/Tony Tighe Consumer Report about unethical practices/theft

I tried finding Joe Strigl (Western Canada Regional Director) email addy but I don't have it anymore sorry

Graham_A_M
07-17-2009, 08:38 PM
Kind of off topic (sorry to the OP BTW, that sounds awful)

Does anybody know any sales reps at any futureshop locations? I have a $400 gift card and I'd like to find some good deals if possible. :dunno:

JordanAndrew
07-17-2009, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

Does anybody know any sales reps at any futureshop locations? I have a $400 gift card and I'd like to find some good deals if possible. :dunno:

I know a sales rep in the country hills location. His name is Sunny and he always got me the best deals.

2EFNFAST
07-17-2009, 08:42 PM
From the sounds of it, I'd hate to see what type of electrical problems your car develops from their 'install'

psi_klops
07-17-2009, 09:12 PM
They did end up fixing it after I had to call HR to get the regional Manager ect.
All that and I spent 8 hours watching them take apart and fix my car. The New Install manager is great.. but he is leaving soon (gee I wonder why).
The speakers still "buzz".. some feed back from somewhere, but that is a lot better that what it was.

At the end of the day, if i give them something to install and they don't..then lie about it, and then don't return the product isn't that Fraud and Theft (on top or being a dumb installer = negligence)

Those are some pretty heavy allegations that they didn't seem to phased about.

FullMetal
07-17-2009, 09:21 PM
first mistake u did was when u took the car there. My gf has an RSX and she bought a deck from futureshop she told me to install it for her but i told her no beacuse i dont want to break any thing, since her car is not cheap to replace something on it, so we took it to futureshop and got it installed, i got the face plate to where the deck goes in and i told the guy every thing is in the back seat i dont want to buy any thing from them, he said yeah sure np... an h passes by and i go back to see if its done, and it was so i get the bill and i see that they charged me for the damn faceplate thingy i told him whats this hes like oh we put that in for you, then im like i told u every thing is in the back im not paying for this then hes like ohh i didnt see it.. and the damn thing was beside the deck lol so he waved the charge but yet he took the face plate i got, so we went in the car and the first thing i notice was the deck wasnt sitting perfectly and the side faceplate was pushing out i pushed it back in thinking it will snap back in place but it didnt, i told him and what he said was oh it was already like that :bullshit: so i didnt bother with him and i just left cuz my gf was telling me to just leave it

Graham_A_M
07-17-2009, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by JordanAndrew

I know a sales rep in the country hills location. His name is Sunny and he always got me the best deals.

Thank you. Does he work in any specific department?

FullMetal
07-17-2009, 09:34 PM

guys take it to pm :burnout:

dj_rice
07-17-2009, 09:48 PM
Good thing the situation has been resolved, all it takes it a complaint to the higher ups or in my case, threatening to go to the media :thumbsup:

JordanAndrew
07-17-2009, 10:12 PM

Originally posted by FullMetal

guys take it to pm :burnout:

haha ok, I PM'd you Graham

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
07-17-2009, 10:14 PM
I never understood why Future Shit and BB have installers if they're not going to train them.
:dunno:

5fivespeed
07-17-2009, 11:57 PM
Canson and Alim (if he still works there) were IMO the best installers when I had things installed on my vehicle. Canson ran my sub wiring so clean that even I had trouble tracing it all through the car when I transferred it all to my Corolla.

Alim, I worked with and he always did a fine job on every install. NE Futureshop, for those who want to know. Canson still works there.

Ray

psi_klops
07-18-2009, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Good thing the situation has been resolved, all it takes it a complaint to the higher ups or in my case, threatening to go to the media :thumbsup:

I took pictures of everything and really believe I have a case that would stand up in court....but who really is going to pay the bucks right?
As for going to the media, I still think that people should know what kind of shit they pull there, but I honestly don't think that it will make headline news.

The sad thing is as a consumer there really isn't any recourse if the managers do not want there to be.

I wish there was more accountability to the retailer, but alas I am just one person:cry:

psi_klops
07-18-2009, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
I never understood why Future Shit and BB have installers if they're not going to train them.
:dunno:

Training is definatly lacking, but this guys was just plain lazy.
If he forgot to put parts back in...he would brush it aside and hope I wouldn't notice. He made a complete mess of everything and was just sloppy....There is not training to solve being a fat uselss fu*k

Redlyne_mr2
07-18-2009, 12:19 AM
Use our sponsor Autotec, the only place in the city I trust for my electronic installs.

Kloubek
07-18-2009, 12:36 AM
I'm always amazed at how timid some customers are to get satisfaction from a chain store. With small stores it can be harder if you are already talking to the owner. But as long as you are being reasonable, you just work your way up to the top. Install manager. Store manager. District Manager. President.

Squeaky wheel my friends...

alpineguy
07-18-2009, 12:37 AM
Not all Futureshops are bad. All of the north installers are well trained and all know what they are doing.

Drooool
07-21-2009, 02:31 AM
when ever I get ANY work done I take pictures before they do so if they do fu*k something up and try saying it was like that before or whatever then I can prove it wasnt. Funny story my pal got a deck installed at Shawnessy FS and he took pictures. They cracked the dash piece and denied it. He went to management and said who know what to them but the guy got fired in the long run.

old man audio
07-21-2009, 07:42 AM
try e-mailing there customer service line. I heard this is the best way to get compensation from them rather than dealing with the store manager.

[email protected]

7thgenvic
07-21-2009, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Use our sponsor Autotec, the only place in the city I trust for my electronic installs.

agreed!

Beyond has reputable sponsors for a reason. Autotec is fantastic and small enough that you know your not getting ripped off by a large company that doesn't train their techs.

tirebob
07-21-2009, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic

agreed!

Beyond has reputable sponsors for a reason. Autotec is fantastic and small enough that you know your not getting ripped off by a large company that doesn't train their techs.

Plus 2! Autotec are great guys...

magicmario
07-31-2009, 12:59 PM
that sucks man. Future shop def isnt the place to get a good install done unless its simple like a deck. I personally know austin he is a good guy however he has not worked on alot of higher end vehicles and doesnt know what he is doing always.

i get all my installs done at visions. usually by the head installer at westhills or the head installer of calgary for custom work. THey do awesome work and stand behind it 100%

Travel_Dude
07-31-2009, 01:03 PM

Lee Hlede at Northland mall. Great guy. Has been been in the industry for 15 years and knows his shit.

psi_klops
07-31-2009, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by magicmario
I personally know austin he is a good guy

I have no doubt Austin is a good guy, but his job is to be an installer, not my best friend. I think it's Futureshop's fault for not training them properly

xecutivip
08-22-2009, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by FullMetal
first mistake u did was when u took the car there. My gf has an RSX and she bought a deck from futureshop she told me to install it for her but i told her no beacuse i dont want to break any thing, since her car is not cheap to replace something on it, so we took it to futureshop and got it installed, i got the face plate to where the deck goes in and i told the guy every thing is in the back seat i dont want to buy any thing from them, he said yeah sure np... an h passes by and i go back to see if its done, and it was so i get the bill and i see that they charged me for the damn faceplate thingy i told him whats this hes like oh we put that in for you, then im like i told u every thing is in the back im not paying for this then hes like ohh i didnt see it.. and the damn thing was beside the deck lol so he waved the charge but yet he took the face plate i got, so we went in the car and the first thing i notice was the deck wasnt sitting perfectly and the side faceplate was pushing out i pushed it back in thinking it will snap back in place but it didnt, i told him and what he said was oh it was already like that :bullshit: so i didnt bother with him and i just left cuz my gf was telling me to just leave it

:whocares:

Nate25
08-22-2009, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by 5fivespeed
Canson and Alim (if he still works there) were IMO the best installers when I had things installed on my vehicle. Canson ran my sub wiring so clean that even I had trouble tracing it all through the car when I transferred it all to my Corolla.

Alim, I worked with and he always did a fine job on every install. NE Futureshop, for those who want to know. Canson still works there.

Ray

Canson still works there eh? I worked at the NE Futureshop doing audio sales. Yeah Canson will do a good job, Carmen was the Manager (pretty sure he's not there anymore) But yeah if you goto a shop that has Carmen as the Install Manager he does some good work too

Spoons
08-22-2009, 04:22 PM
Come up to Country Hills Futureshop. I work in mobile audio up there. Jay is our installer (and currently our only one cause we fired the other idiot) and he's great. I trust him with all my cars and is a stickler for detail. If it doesn't look good, he doesn't stop until it does.

Deals for all beyond members!

Tiki
08-25-2009, 10:22 PM
i work in the bay at the deerfoot location and we get at least 3 customers a week from other locations fucking up. There are so many horrible installers in Future Shop it ruins all our reps. if you want i can show our install lead this thread cause hes been wanting to get problems like this to the attention of upper management. If they have a installer that can't wire crossovers he should be fired.

2Valve0
10-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Future shop fucked my deck install up as well. Bought a DVD deck and free isntall came, thought why not saves me the time.
When I got it back my panel in the car where the deck sits was uneven, he broke a fucking tab off and said it was like that. Dumb ass people. Never get an install done at futureshop.

Install God
07-18-2010, 09:29 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

Mod edit: Only paid sponsors can advertise

Scuderia
07-21-2010, 06:32 PM
It all depends on who you take it to. I worked at 2 Best Buy audio departments, one had half retarded installers. The other, Northland Best Buy had solid installers. I can't remember their names but I think one of them is a member here, he knew his car audio shit and did quality work.

Jeremiah
07-21-2010, 06:37 PM
I went to Deerfoot Meadows Best Buy a couple years ago and a beyond member hooked it up big time on the install.

His name was 410140 or something. Great guy, fare price, and high quality install. Not sure if hes still doing car audio install, maybe he'll chime in, but if he is I would strongly suggest using him going forward

Splkia
07-22-2010, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Scuderia
It all depends on who you take it to. I worked at 2 Best Buy audio departments, one had half retarded installers. The other, Northland Best Buy had solid installers. I can't remember their names but I think one of them is a member here, he knew his car audio shit and did quality work.

How long ago did you work at Northlands?

Scuderia
07-22-2010, 06:06 PM
About 2 years ago, if that's your navigator in the pic than thats you Murray, you're who I was talking about lol. Cris and Jay were solid installers too. Are you working on your own now?

Mar
07-22-2010, 06:19 PM
I really don't understand what you're complaining about, nor why you're surprised. What would you say if I told you I brought my car to two 10 year olds and asked them to tune it up? You know before you bring it in there that they're not competent for the job, it's not a surprise.

403Gemini
07-22-2010, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Jeremiah
I went to Deerfoot Meadows Best Buy a couple years ago and a beyond member hooked it up big time on the install.

His name was 410140 or something. Great guy, fare price, and high quality install. Not sure if hes still doing car audio install, maybe he'll chime in, but if he is I would strongly suggest using him going forward

:thumbsup:

He is a good guy for sure. Don't think hes doing it any more though.

Also yeah, the shawnessy future shop is pretty bad... When I first started working there I wanted to get my deck swapped from my 89 integra to my saturn , so I had my dad drive down my integra and I had my saturn there. So they swapped the deck, started up my saturn and drove it home and my dad drove me back down in our van for me to pick up the integra. I get into the integra (its night time) and the interior light didn't turn on. I figured the bulb must have died and i didnt notice since my dad drove down my integra and it's been awhile since i drove the car.

I started the car up and the red light for my back hatch went on. So i checked my hatch, it was closed shut, so I opened it and stuck my finger where the sensor was and it stayed on. So i killed the power and went into the install bay and asked the guy wtf could it be and if he could fix it since it wasn't like that before the install. He shrugged and went back to work on the other car... being a new employee and this guy had been there for a few years I didn't want to raise a stink (stupid me, i know, but I was a passive 19 yr old lol) I went to canadian tire and bought a new light for the interior, installed it and it wouldnt turn on... that car had shitty electrical problems ever since that day.

:thumbsdow to MOST chain retailers for their install bay as they don't give proper training to those employees (and MOST of those employees just dont give a shit since they work in an install bay and under almost 0 supervision).

Splkia
07-22-2010, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Scuderia
About 2 years ago, if that's your navigator in the pic than thats you Murray, you're who I was talking about lol. Cris and Jay were solid installers too. Are you working on your own now?

Thanks man, yeah I'm trying to get my own thing going here. I've seen so much stuff come and go from there I've gotta ask who are you? Lol.

ekguy
07-23-2010, 12:40 AM
I bought a bunch of stuff there for my Legend. Got it installed and they send me on my way and I realize no remote anymore or case for my deck...Which I just bought there. I had to go back and they accused me of losing those things the day i got it all installed. I then talked to the guy who sold me the stuff who then opened a box and gave me a new remote and case.

At least he rectified the situation but my stuff clearly got taken by an installer. I will never get anything done by them again. This was about 1 year ago.

Shlade
07-23-2010, 04:19 AM
I Had a semi-ok experience there.. I had my Viper Car alarm and starter installed by a guy named Deepak. Nice guy but a prick at the same time. Install took about 2 hours longer than it was supposed to, I dropped the car off early morning, didnt get the car back until 6. Came back and my centre console was not aligned right, My ebrake was scratched by a screwdriver, my shift boot was turned the wrong way, and worse of all there was a scratch on my hood... WTF?

I shat bricks all over the store manager and the installer. Funny enough I told the guy right in the morning, "Dude be careful with the car it means a lot to me" his reply "Buddy ive worked on cars like ferarris and lamborghinis, you just drive a mustang"

I wanted to punch him in the face after he said that and tell him to fuck himself, I Didnt because in the end my parents were paying for the alarm and starter for an early birthday present.

Id avoid their Install area and the techs overall.

Oh and this guy apparently has 15 years of install experience :rolleyes:

dsr7723
07-23-2010, 07:58 AM
I waited 'til I found a friend of a friend whom I trust who does installs, took almost a year and my setup goes in on Sunday. I would NEVER trust any install department unless I knew somebody. Fuck that.

07-23-2010, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Jeremiah

Thanks for the props, which car was this? (feel free to PM if you dont want it out there).

I no longer install professionally for bestbuy, got tired of working with hacks and fixing mistakes from every other store in the city.

I personally wouldnt take my shit to any shop. (but i do it myself..)

Over the years I have worked with both good and shit installers, in my opinion, the certified ones are the absolute worst....

ALSO! - Props to SPLIKA (AKA MURRAY). If he still does installs, he has my thumbs up.

I dont think I ever had any of his installs come down to me for repair. :thumbsup:

Scuderia
07-25-2010, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Splkia

Thanks man, yeah I'm trying to get my own thing going here. I've seen so much stuff come and go from there I've gotta ask who are you? Lol.

You probably don't remember me I only worked there for a bit as a second job, but if you're doing your own thing now I'll def send people your way and holla at you if I need help.

Rat Fink
07-25-2010, 11:48 AM

JZS_147
08-01-2010, 02:30 PM
yet another reason to not cheap out and get your install done at a competent audio shop.