PDA

View Full Version : Replacement LCD Panel? Sharp LC42D72U

Zero102
07-18-2009, 12:01 AM
My TV just took a major blow to the screen, a shelf loaded with a PS3, 360, stereo receiver, satellite receiver and some other odds and ends just broke free of the wall, swung down and smashed the screen on it. The only damage is to the screen cover and the LCD panel itself, all other parts are unharmed and the TV still powers on. I was wondering if anybody knows a local shop to obtain a replacement LCD panel from?

I have found a couple online for ~$800-900CDN (still cheaper than a new TV) but I don't feel good about shipping them around and if they have dead pixels I don't want to have to ship them back for replacement. Hopefully local cost will be similar, if its much higher I guess we will just replace the TV.

Somehow the 360, PS3, everything else survived over an 8 foot fall onto lightly padded carpet, but along the way the shelf demolished the screen. For anybody who is wondering, the wooden brackets used to mount the shelf cracked in half, both sides failed nearly simultaneously and despite my movie style running move from the couch I did not make it there in time to catch it before the damage was done. Everything was mounted properly to studs and the brackets were rated for 50lbs each (even though there was only 40lbs total weight and 2 brackets). You live you learn, metal brackets only now.

tictactoe2004
07-18-2009, 01:54 AM
Replace it. You can buy a new TV with those specs for around $1000. You'll have a full year warranty too..

Zero102
07-18-2009, 10:45 AM
I am not specifically worried about the warranty, and after taking a bit of a look around TVs priced around the $1000 mark of the same size have inferior pictures. This sharp always had excellent color depth, no banding and the blacks were great. I expect it would be around $1400-1500 to replace it with something equivalent, I was hoping I could obtain just the panel for less.

tictactoe2004
07-18-2009, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Zero102
I am not specifically worried about the warranty, and after taking a bit of a look around TVs priced around the $1000 mark of the same size have inferior pictures. This sharp always had excellent color depth, no banding and the blacks were great. I expect it would be around $1400-1500 to replace it with something equivalent, I was hoping I could obtain just the panel for less.

Maybe at full retail pricing. You can get a 40 inch Sony Z series with 120hz that will have a superior picture to what you currently have for $1300. For $1000-1100 you will get a similar TV in 60hz like you currently have. It does suck that your TV broke... but it's not worth that amount of money to repair it. You're only other option is to check to see what the deductible is on your home insurance, it may be covered.

Zero102
07-20-2009, 10:59 AM
Talked to insurance, not covered. My wife is being pretty fussy about the cost of replacing it (rightfully so I might add) so I guess its back to the old 27" CRT while we watch for crazy deals. I guess now is a good time to upgrade to a 120Hz set. I'll start searching red flag deals.

We are driving down to the USA in the first week of August. Heading down the west coast to San Francisco (with tons of spare room in the car....) Wonder what shops are good to check out while we are down there?

HondaKid
07-21-2009, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Zero102
Talked to insurance, not covered. My wife is being pretty fussy about the cost of replacing it (rightfully so I might add) so I guess its back to the old 27" CRT while we watch for crazy deals. I guess now is a good time to upgrade to a 120Hz set. I'll start searching red flag deals.

We are driving down to the USA in the first week of August. Heading down the west coast to San Francisco (with tons of spare room in the car....) Wonder what shops are good to check out while we are down there?

Check out www.vanns.com, I am heading to Kalispell, MT this week to pick up a Panasonic 50" TV from Vann's. Panasonics are assembled in Mexico so the Free Trade Agreement makes GST the only tax applied at the border. Montana is a tax-free state as well, there are a few others like Washington state I think. Some sort of agreement with Alberta, check this before going.

The TV was a bit cheaper at BestBuy USA but they are out of stock, www.OneCall.com also was a bit cheaper but shipping (free) to Montana (pick up at FedEx) was a one week wait and I do not have the time, need it ASAP.

You can get an international warranty through http://www.mackcam.com/servicecontracts/index.htm if wanted for about $150 for two years, it depends on the value of the TV.

Use a Visa Gold and above card at the retailer and get another year of warranty coverage for free. The coverage is only in the USA though.

A few examples of Sharp 120Hz sets on sale at Vann's (priced from $899 with a wall bracket for free):

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/462947057/sharp-lc40e77u

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/462811719/sharp-lc46e77u

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/462528401/sharp-lc46d85u

Just returned, bought a Blu-ray player as well. Lists at $500 at BB/FS, I paid $269 (no tax).

All in (fuel, food, hotel) I saved $900 CDN, had a nice little vacation. Montana is beautiful, will be going back in the fall for more electronics.

Zero102
07-22-2009, 04:17 PM
Thanks for all the great tips. Sharp responded, a replacement panel is in excess of $2k, pretty much what we expected. Still on the fence about a new TV, the Toshiba 46xv645U is another possibility, seems placed to compete with the sharp 80 series.