PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Bikes on a pathway?

shanxk8
07-19-2009, 07:36 AM
Anyone else been having noise issues with those Pocket bikes (gas powered) in their neighbourhood lately? A few weeks ago some inconsiderate parents were out with their family on the green space (pathway) behind our house and one kid was on a really noisy pocket bike. That was middle of the afternoon, I was a little annoyed, but let it go.
This morning a pocket bike was riding down the same path at 5:00 AM. When they came by the second time. it was too much for me! I called the (non-emergency) police # to complain. I couldn't believe it when they told me that this is allowed, even 5 in the morning, as long as they don't drive them on the street.
How does this make sense?

David

p.s. This used to be a nice quiet shale path, but last summer the city decided it needed to be paved, so that it wouldn't exclude other users from using it.
What a great idea that was! :guns:

5000Audi
07-19-2009, 08:09 AM
i dont think pocket bike are legal on pathways or anywhere really..police person on the phone musta been a tad retarded

Zhariak
07-19-2009, 08:17 AM
Pocket Bikes are legal on patchways????

S13_Ryan
07-19-2009, 08:32 AM
they arent legal anywhere. unless they have legal plates, signal lights, headlights and brake lights. its a motorized vehicle. common people.... common sense

shanxk8
07-19-2009, 08:43 AM
Yeah, after sitting awake for a while and reading bylaws, seems like the person on the phone didn't know what they were talking about, or didn't understand that that a pocket bike has a gas engine.
If they wake me up again, I guess I'll try calling 311

AntiqueGem
07-19-2009, 09:21 AM
Definitely a case of the police just not wanting to deal with it. It has a motor and is therefore not allowed on the paths.

ExtraSlow
07-19-2009, 09:49 AM
Start writing down the times when this person is on the path, and figure out where they live. Then call 311 and report it as a bylaw infraction. if you hassle the city long enough, they'll give this person a ticket.

forbiddenera
07-19-2009, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by AntiqueGem
Definitely a case of the police just not wanting to deal with it. It has a motor and is therefore not allowed on the paths.

What about those new converted bicycles that have the electronic engine?

Technically motorized... lol

Pollywog
07-19-2009, 03:58 PM
Was walking the dog today and heard what I THOUGHT sounded like a pocket bike all the way across the river. Super loud, super annoying. As I cross the bridge from Diamond Cove to Douglasdale I see the asshat, a 40-something year old man with a gas powered scooter (the razor style). Get a fuckin bike instead of annoying every single person within your 2km radius.

Jeremiah
07-19-2009, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Pollywog
Was walking the dog today and heard what I THOUGHT sounded like a pocket bike all the way across the river. Super loud, super annoying. As I cross the bridge from Diamond Cove to Douglasdale I see the asshat, a 40-something year old man with a gas powered scooter (the razor style). Get a fuckin bike instead of annoying every single person within your 2km radius.

thought you would enjoy some of this

http://blogs.knoxnews.com/knx/telebuddy/archives/cheese.jpg

Pollywog
07-19-2009, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Jeremiah

:thumbsup: Thank you once again for your insightful and well written input.

Graham_A_M
07-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Zhariak
Pocket Bikes are legal on patchways????

Their only allowed on private property, such as acreages (& their driveways) and the like.

They are absolutely not allowed on paths, roads, sideways and so on.
In fact there is quite a fine for doing so.

I had the same problem with my neighbors riding their pocket bike on the street, so I called the CPS asking them to just give them a warning. Turns out they got a HUGE fine for it. (I think around $2k IIRC)

FullMetal
07-19-2009, 05:08 PM
so if i slap on some lights on a pockit bike and put signal lights and break lights i can ride it on the road?

Graham_A_M
07-19-2009, 05:23 PM
^ Nope. Has to meet Transport Canada Legislation. A compliance no pocket bikes out there meet.

The closest thing to a Pocket bike that is street legal is the Yamaha YSR 50 and 80.
As well as the Honda NSR50 and 80.

Yamaha started production with the YSR in 1987, and made them until 1992.
Honda started around that era and made them until the late 90's IIRC.

You can get a street legal one for around $1500 (the YSR's I mean) and a street legal NSR for at least $2k. The NSR's are very rare though, abiet twice the bike the YSR ever was.

Google them for more info. You can find them on ebay or sometimes on the local classfieds. I used to have several YSR's over the years. Great like bikes, especially after a YZ80 engine swap:bigpimp:

ABteg00
07-19-2009, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Jeremiah

some cheese to go with his whine?

5fivespeed
07-19-2009, 05:59 PM
Just kick the fool off his bike. I had some shirtless punk driving through Montrey Park on the sidewalk drive between all these people walking down the sidewalk.

Ray

FullMetal
07-19-2009, 06:59 PM
if pockit bikes are illigal then im sure they would pull them off of the shelves in stores and places that sell them. they are more like toys

Graham_A_M
07-19-2009, 07:06 PM
^ They are toys, and were entirely intended on being such. Toys that people stupidly think are allowed to be on the road. ;)

Why should the stores stop selling these toys because there are some buyers/consumers that don't understand simple laws?
If you can't put a plate on a pocketbike; chances are it doesn't belong on the road (legally I mean). Try registering a pocketbike and seeing what happens. Hey if by some radical chance you CAN make a pocketbike with lights & accessories and make it street legal, by all means go ahead. That still doesn't allow a motorized vehicle (as in THESE things) to be allowed on paths either way.

Thats like stores refusing to sell videogames entirely because of the few idiots that re-enact in-game behavior in real life. :dunno:

badatusrnames
07-19-2009, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by FullMetal
if pockit bikes are illigal then im sure they would pull them off of the shelves in stores and places that sell them. they are more like toys

Reading your posts hurts my head.

Pocket bikes aren't illegal. What is illegal is operating them anywhere other than on private property.

drewb
07-19-2009, 08:26 PM
the surge in these people riding their pocket bikes around on pathways and roads may have something to do with them being prizes this year at some of the carnies stands around the stampede.

SJW
07-19-2009, 08:55 PM
I won one of these at the stampede. Bring it home. Park it next to my other motorcycles and now wtf do I do with it. I certainly won't let my son ride it.

Offers?

Graham_A_M
07-19-2009, 09:18 PM
^ Specs and pics please. I wouldn't mind one for my dads farm. :dunno:

SJW
07-19-2009, 09:29 PM
I'll get u some pics tomorrow. All i know is its 2 stroke and its only been fired up once. Needs a new fuel line because I guess in China its ok to use balloon rubber for fuel lines. I'll prolly fix it when i have time.

dino_martini
07-20-2009, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by drewb
the surge in these people riding their pocket bikes around on pathways and roads may have something to do with them being prizes this year at some of the carnies stands around the stampede.

Difference this year was that the ones that were prizes in 09' are gas powered. Every year previous they were battery powered.

snoop101
07-20-2009, 09:35 AM
I would phone the bylaw guys. Like someone else said the police are probably to busy to care, but the bylaw officers drive around looking for this kinda of crap.

We had one drive around the condo area on the weekend. It was damn loud. I was waiting for some old fart in the senior condo to yell at them.

5000Audi
07-20-2009, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by SJW
I won one of these at the stampede. Bring it home. Park it next to my other motorcycles and now wtf do I do with it. I certainly won't let my son ride it.

Offers?

awe why not

qwsnk1pdnts

SJW
07-20-2009, 10:20 AM
I'd rather see him on a dirtbike when he's old enough. Not some POS pocket bike.

shanxk8
07-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by snoop101
We had one drive around the condo area on the weekend. It was damn loud. I was waiting for some old fart in the senior condo to yell at them.

I was waiting for someone to make a comment like this. I got the sinking suspicion that I'm getting old when this annoyed me to the point of calling in a complaint.

luv2ride_bikes
07-20-2009, 12:07 PM
I called 311 on some pocket bikes on the pathways near my house, and the city tiold me to call the cops as this is a police matter. I did call the police and they came down and spoke with the riders. Not sure if they got a warning or a ticket, but I haven't seen them out since.

G-ZUS
07-20-2009, 12:12 PM
Wasn't there a member on here who ate a no-insurance ticket for his pocket bike?

rockanrepublic
07-20-2009, 04:47 PM
well my friend got 3 from this stampede first time he fired it up fuck i was surprised at the noise i was riding it around near 6pm i could tell some people were getting angry so we put them away.

Eleanor
07-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
You can get a street legal one for around $1500 (the YSR's I mean) and a street legal NSR for at least $2k. The NSR's are very rare though, abiet twice the bike the YSR ever was. Blackfoot had an NSR for sale for a long time, don't know if it's still there though :dunno:

Graham_A_M
07-20-2009, 07:10 PM
^ They still are for sale, and always will be. They use the old(er) molds of the NSR50's. Only now the bikes are not designed or sold to be street legal. Even though everything is there and it IS the same bike: none of the street legal apparel is there. No lights, light mounting brackets... body work designed without lights in mind Etc.
Their now sold under the HRC brand... rather then the conventional (street legal) Honda NSR50.

YSR's used to fetch a MINT around 1999-2004, as they were a huge hit for grass-roots budget bike racing (such as Calgary's local www.amra.ca ). Then HRC started to re-introduce the NSR's again (which is quite honestly twice the bike) so the Interest in YSR's hit the sidelines again.

I guess one could not-so-legally do a VIN swap on a NSR (and thus labeled as a "YSR") and retrofit it with the Original street legal parts if they really wanted to :dunno:

xxviet
07-21-2009, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS
Wasn't there a member on here who ate a no-insurance ticket for his pocket bike?

me and going to court to have it thrown out this friday

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=269258