PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry Tour

j3vuong
07-19-2009, 08:46 PM
Anyone use the blackberry tour yet?
I'm thinking of switching from my curve to it but just wondering if it's worth it.
Any insight would be excellent

copynpaste
07-20-2009, 10:43 AM
I played around with one the other day, holy damn its got an amazing screen - puts my curves screen to shame, night and day difference.

But I prefer the feel of my curve especially the keypad. I don't like the new black berry keypads, too flush.

sneek
07-20-2009, 11:13 AM
Agreed! I really like how the Curve and my 8830WE type, but the Tour keys seem pretty shallow! The huge plus is the Rev. A and the screen.

tylere
07-20-2009, 12:25 PM
I got mine last week and so far so good. It did take a little bit to get used to the keyboard though. I had a pearl and curve before so this one is different.

dino_martini
07-20-2009, 12:32 PM
It might be worth jumping to the Tour, but keep in mind Bell and Telus will be launching HSPA networks in Q4 2009 - Q1 2010. So you will be able to get a Wi-Fi enabled Berry like the Bold or forth coming Onyx:

http://img.skitch.com/20090710-dp5pbdq5i9218rn8f88nubgwcj.jpg%22%20alt=%22IMG00068-20090608-1539%22

Onyx is on the left. 3G + WiFi. UMA Support. Optical track pad. 3.2mp camera, more ram and better processor than the Bold. This should be one of the first BlackBerries to run OS 5.0.

So what I am saying is that if your Curve can last you, I think you should wait and then just see what phones are coming out for HSPA. Rumor has it that Telus might be getting the iPhone when HSPA launches. Of course that is just a rumor, don't hold your breath.

B69
07-20-2009, 12:44 PM
I got one and I love it!

j3vuong
07-20-2009, 02:16 PM
Thanks for all the insight guys

turbotrip
07-20-2009, 03:30 PM
can you buy GSM Tours? or anyone know when they will be releasesd. and when the Onyx is gonna be released

copynpaste
07-20-2009, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by sneek
Agreed! I really like how the Curve and my 8830WE type, but the Tour keys seem pretty shallow! The huge plus is the Rev. A and the screen.

I love the screen, its flat out amazing. Makes the curve screen look so outdated. If the Tour had the same keypad from the Curve, id probably get it just cause its 3G - and I web surf a lot on my BB so the extra speed would be nice.

But other than that, I'll be sticking with my curve for a long time. I just dont like the keypads atall on the new BBs.

And not only that but the rollerball on teh tour doesnt feel as good cause it is too high IMO. No circular chrome piece around it that dips down. This is what made scrolling with the curve so easy cause of that indent.

JordanLotoski
07-20-2009, 05:06 PM
I have the new Blackberry Tour..I like it, seems alot faster then my world edition, super bright screen.

j3vuong
07-20-2009, 09:51 PM
I hear alot of praise over the screen, i gotta see this for myself, i like the screen on the curve, so tour must be AHH-mazing...

dino_martini
07-21-2009, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by turbotrip
can you buy GSM Tours? or anyone know when they will be releasesd. and when the Onyx is gonna be released

There is no GSM Tour so far. CDMA only. The Onyx was rumoured to be the BlackBerry Tour 9600. But since then we have seen a few pre-production models that sport the Bold 9020 model code.

So from what we know about the Onyx:
Bold 9020, 3g + WiFi, Possibility of UMA Support, 3.2mp Camera, Optical Trackpad, faster processor and more ram than the Bold 9000.

Rumors say release of Q4 2009 - Q1 2010. Though some other people are saying September. I would think it would be like Q4 rather than September.

Edit - If you guys do go buy a Tour 9630, watch out for mushy track balls and loose fitting battery covers. That seems to be the two major problems so far

Dooms_Bane
07-22-2009, 04:27 AM
the only issue i have is i can't turn off texas holdem without taking the battery out :( the app still runs in the background and it took me roughly 2 days to get used to the keypad. OH that and there is no internal call blocking option like the curve which makes me sad inside :(
but other than that its alot faster a bit slower than the bold has only half the ram.. but the screen is awesome sauce :)

and omg wtf on that onyx that shit looks PRO!

Originally posted by dino_martini

Edit - If you guys do go buy a Tour 9630, watch out for mushy track balls and loose fitting battery covers. That seems to be the two major problems so far

Uh oh my battery cover is a bit loose :( moves about half a mm i just noticed it as i read your post.. hmm and it will only get worse the longer i have this phone... lame...

msommers
08-25-2009, 05:58 PM
Is there any new word on the BB Onyx? I'm thinking about finally switching over to a crackberry but if I am, I want the latest and greatest:D

TorqueDog
08-25-2009, 06:10 PM
There is no GSM Tour so far. CDMA only.Not exactly - the SIM card slot on the Tour can be unlocked - it is a 'World' phone.

So you could buy a Tour, unlock the SIM card slot, and run it on the Rogers network.

But you'll be limited to EDGE - it doesn't support North American 3G networks.

tha_bandit
08-25-2009, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog

But you'll be limited to EDGE - it doesn't support North American 3G networks.

really? that sucks, I was looking into a bb, bold is a bit big, basically want the curve 8900 with 3G...

rawsensation
08-25-2009, 07:20 PM
These Berries should get some hype too ie. Storm 2 and Onyx

From the review the onyx should be the one to wait for

http://forums.crackberry.com/f146/onyx-field-t-289407/

msommers
08-25-2009, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the link Raw, that was great. Hopefully Telus doesn't drop the ball and actually gets this phone, or I might be heading over to Rogers.

gqmw
08-27-2009, 03:26 AM
Yep the tour can be unlocked, I believe there is one in the marketplace actually that is unlocked. I picked up the tour when it came out and I got to say its been pretty good for me. I like the keys, the screen is good, and so far it has been pretty good in all aspects. However, the onyx looks sexy with great features and originally I was going to wait for it but I needed a new phone now - the tour seemed to be my best option then.

dino_martini
08-27-2009, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by msommers
Thanks for the link Raw, that was great. Hopefully Telus doesn't drop the ball and actually gets this phone, or I might be heading over to Rogers.

I'm sure the Bold 9700 (onyx) will end up on Telus and Bell's new HSPA networks. The real question is will these new networks be reliable.

Quizzes
08-27-2009, 08:20 AM

I'm sure the Bold 9700 (onyx) will end up on Telus and Bell's new HSPA networks. The real question is will these new networks be reliable.

I could wait for the "Onyx" but don't want to re-up with Telus or Bell. :(

TorqueDog
08-27-2009, 08:22 AM
I'm sure the Bold 9700 (onyx) will end up on Telus and Bell's new HSPA networks. The real question is will these new networks be reliable. I'm sure there will be bugs to work out, but I can't see it being too terri-bad - with the exception of Bell, which seems to get let down by their shit-tacular customer service more than their network.

roopi
08-27-2009, 10:08 AM
It's just like when Rogers rolled out GSM it wasn't perfect and it took quite a few years to get decent reception anywhere. I'm sure Telus/Bell will experience the same.

dino_martini
08-30-2009, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Quizzes

I could wait for the "Onyx" but don't want to re-up with Telus or Bell. :(

It will end up on Rogers as well.

EK 2.0
08-31-2009, 12:11 AM
So..I too upgraded from the 8830 World to the tour about 6 weeks ago....

Not gonna lie...my old 8830 was the best berry I have ever used...or so I thought...the Tour KILLS it...Better screen, faster processing...my only gripe...

Battery life...it seems I am having to charge my tour every night...versus every other night for my old World with the same usage...

Wondering if any other Tour users are having the same issues with theirs...

bmeier
08-31-2009, 12:42 AM
my tours battery life is not "great" but i can usually squeeze 1.5 - 2 days out of it. depending on how much I am using it. When the release the new OS i bet the battery life will only get better.

TorqueDog
08-31-2009, 09:53 AM
Tour will naturally use more battery owing to it having a higher resolution screen, faster processor, and operating on a faster network.

Having used a 3G device in EDGE mode for a week (my old Bold 9000), I noticed my battery life nearly doubled. I can't help but think this would be the case on a CDMA-based network like Telus. Faster network radio = less battery life.