PDA

View Full Version : Jason Lang Scholarships

nodoubtt
07-19-2009, 09:25 PM
Just had a complete brainfart and can't seem to remember when Jason Lang scholarships are sent out for those who qualified for the academic year that just finished (sept 08 - april 09). Anyone know? I seem to remember November or December or something. And what was the minimum course requirement? I completed 8 courses between fall and winter.

Mibz
07-19-2009, 10:28 PM
http://www.alis.gov.ab.ca/pdf/scholarships/langfaq.pdf

3. How do I qualify for a Jason Lang Scholarship?
To qualify for a Jason Lang scholarship, you must
• be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident,
• be an Alberta resident,
• have attended a participating post-secondary educational institution in Alberta,
• have achieved a GPA of 3.2 on a 4.0 GPA on a minimum 80% course load or greater
during the qualifying period from September to April, and
• be continuing full-time (defined as enrolled in a minimum of a 60% or greater course
load) immediately in the next academic year at a participating post-secondary
institution in Alberta.
7. Who nominates me for a scholarship if I am enrolled at two educational institutions?
To be nominated you must achieve a GPA of 3.2 on a minimum of 80% course load or
greater at one post-secondary institution. Only one institution can nominate you.
For example: You are attending Mount Royal College and the University of Calgary and
taking more than an 80% course load when the courses are combined and have obtained a 3.2
GPA. You cannot be nominated as most schools grant advance credit for courses taken
outside their educational institution.They were sent out in late December.

ringmaster
07-20-2009, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by nodoubtt
Just had a complete brainfart and can't seem to remember when Jason Lang scholarships are sent out for those who qualified for the academic year that just finished (sept 08 - april 09). Anyone know? I seem to remember November or December or something. And what was the minimum course requirement? I completed 8 courses between fall and winter.

Good luck man, I got a J Lang in 2006. The big thing is your gpa, make sure its decent and you should be ok.

Tik-Tok
07-20-2009, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by ringmaster

Good luck man, I got a J Lang in 2006. The big thing is your gpa, make sure its decent and you should be ok.

Does luck even have anything to do with it? I thought everyone with a GPA over 3.2 got one.

dkmlam
07-20-2009, 09:46 AM
I think everyone with over a 3.2 gets this scholarship, but you have to have a minimum of 4 courses each semester. You can only get a maximum of 3 of these scholarships in your lifetime iirc

interlude
07-20-2009, 09:48 AM
I got this awhile back, i forgot what year it was. 30% of my class received the scholarship.

nodoubtt
07-20-2009, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by dkmlam
I think everyone with over a 3.2 gets this scholarship, but you have to have a minimum of 4 courses each semester. You can only get a maximum of 3 of these scholarships in your lifetime iirc

hmmm I took 3 first semester and 5 second, think I'd qualify?

G-ZUS
07-20-2009, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by interlude
I got this awhile back, i forgot what year it was. 30% of my class received the scholarship.

Ithink my whole class got it last year

Jason Lange
07-20-2009, 05:29 PM
PFFF...Jason Lang

S13_Ryan
07-20-2009, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Jason Lange
PFFF...Jason Lang

my exact thoughts:rofl: .

Amysicle
07-20-2009, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by nodoubtt
hmmm I took 3 first semester and 5 second, think I'd qualify? Call your school's awards program. They should be able to tell you if you qualified or not (they would have applied for you), and check to see if your mailing info is up to date.

I received mine in March this year when everyone else got theirs at the end of December/early January. The awards people had given the wrong address out (I changed my address 10 months prior with the school, and the awards people seemed to have the right address but they actually gave out the old one) and that's why I didn't get mine. But they wouldn't hand over the number of who to talk to with the Alberta Government until I waited long enough to make sure I didn't get my cheque.

Mibz
07-20-2009, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Jason Lange
PFFF...Jason Lang Haha, when I Googled it to get the information I spelled it "Lange" because I thought it was correct.

PepsiCola
07-22-2009, 02:16 AM
Hey i got above a 3.2 this year and I had a full load. Is it to late to get the scholarship....How do I go about it...Some people here say that the school applies for you however I have not been notified about anything.

Dr_Funk
07-22-2009, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by PepsiCola
Hey i got above a 3.2 this year and I had a full load. Is it to late to get the scholarship....How do I go about it...Some people here say that the school applies for you however I have not been notified about anything.

Yes, your school will apply for you automatically as long as you meet all the criteria. You will get a notification in oct or nov.

gqmw
07-22-2009, 02:41 AM
School automatically submits you if you qualify.

http://alis.alberta.ca/pdf/scholarships/langfaq.pdf

Konj
07-27-2009, 03:54 PM

realazy
07-27-2009, 04:01 PM
You get a cheque first, and later you also get a certificate.

Konj
07-27-2009, 04:01 PM
yeah i just read it, sorry

badatusrnames
07-27-2009, 04:11 PM
You can only get a maximum of 3 of these scholarships in your lifetime iirc

I got it my first two years and didn't get it afterwards (I've met the requirements a few times since), so I assumed it was a max two... :dunno:

thrasher22
07-27-2009, 04:13 PM
Mount Royal makes you apply for it yourself. One year they sent us an email if we qualified and told us to apply at the scholarship office, the next year I qualified they didn't send us anything.

Just FYI, stay on top of it ;)

dkmlam
07-28-2009, 01:11 AM
I don't think they automatically apply for you if you qualify... I'm pretty sure you need to fill out the undergraduate complete awards application

Amysicle
07-28-2009, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by gqmw
School automatically submits you if you qualify.

http://alis.alberta.ca/pdf/scholarships/langfaq.pdf From this link:
11. How do I apply for a Jason Scholarship?
Students who meet the eligibility requirement outlined above are nominated by the Student
Awards Office at the participating Alberta post-secondary educational institution they are
currently attending.
16. I know I qualify to be nominated for the scholarship. How do I find out if I was
nominated?
Contact the Student Awards Office to inquire about your status.

I don't think they automatically apply for you if you qualify... I'm pretty sure you need to fill out the undergraduate complete awards application Good thing you're pretty sure.

Some schools may be too lazy to nominate their students, but most of them do.

pinoyboy88
07-29-2009, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by realazy
You get a cheque first, and later you also get a certificate.

By certificate do you mean letter? :dunno:

I don't think they automatically apply for you if you qualify... I'm pretty sure you need to fill out the undergraduate complete awards application

I think it depends on what school you go to. I went to SAIT and all they asked for was my SIN and automatically applied me. That was in December and got the check in April just before spring semester.

hattonlynch
08-03-2009, 06:41 PM
MRC told me they were sending out the applications (if you applied) 3 weeks ago. i still havent received it. And I had a 3.33.

What do you guys think is up?

max_boost
08-03-2009, 07:01 PM
haha even I got one of these back in the day too :D

GenerationX
04-14-2010, 03:57 PM
Has anyone received their Jason Lang award yet? My name was on the list but I still haven't received it yet.

dandia89
04-15-2010, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by GenerationX
Has anyone received their Jason Lang award yet? My name was on the list but I still haven't received it yet.
i got mine back in december, so did my friends. maybe you are only allowed to get it a certain amount of times?