PDA

View Full Version : thanks for finding my wallet

z24_wheels
07-20-2009, 12:38 PM
I lost my wallet on John Laurie on Saturday. Some kind soul found it and returned it to CPS and I collected it this morning. They did not leave a name or address for me to send a thank you. I'll post a pic up tonight of the wallet, it is duct tape and looks like it got driven over quite a few times before it was found!

Good to know there are still kind people out there.

A790
07-20-2009, 12:40 PM
A rarity for sure- lucky!

rumeo
07-20-2009, 01:06 PM
Everything in it?

BigWill
07-20-2009, 01:43 PM
im actually kind of shocked you got it back, this city is going to hell quickly, congrats!

Crymson
07-20-2009, 01:50 PM
Apparently, if you have a baby photo in your wallet, you have an 88% chance of having it returned to you.

http://lifehacker.com/5313032/baby-photos-might-get-your-lost-wallet-returned

puppy = 53%
family = 48%
elderly couple = 28%
charity donation slip = 20%
nothing = 15%

xDodge2x
07-20-2009, 01:59 PM
Yeah no kidding these day's anyone will do almost anything for a buck
and i never relised how big stealing was
did u still have everything in your wallet??

szw
07-20-2009, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by xDodge2x

and i never relised how big stealing was

lol

adidas
07-20-2009, 02:25 PM
The reason it was returned to you is cause it had no money!

z24_wheels
07-20-2009, 03:13 PM
It came back with everything. I had $10 cash in it (I use debit), two debit cards, three credit cards with my Driver's Licence, SIN, Alberta Health Care, etc. I had no pictures in it, I hate when they get ruined.

I had the credit cards and debit cards cancelled within ten minutues of realizing I had lost the wallet. I also had verification from the companies regarding the last charges made with the cards.

flipstah
07-20-2009, 03:31 PM
Hooray for Good Samaritans! :clap:

Alterac
07-20-2009, 04:52 PM
I found some guys wallet on the road at whitehorn station, drove to his house and hand delivered it back.

I also told the guy, not to put his SIN and Birth certificate in his wallet.

signature7
07-20-2009, 05:44 PM
My sister dropped her wallet at market mall Toys R us during 08 Christmas ,pretty much had all of her Christmas money in it-she's a teen- she was devastated to say the least. Nothing else was in there, no school id or any pictures. Someone picked it up and returned it Toys R Us with all the money intact. I told her it was a life's lesson and that if you ever found a wallet or valuable, you know exactly how shitty the person lost it feels.

guessboi
07-20-2009, 05:55 PM
wow lucky people. :D

XylathaneGTR
07-20-2009, 06:34 PM
On the first day of class in the Winter 2008 Semester, I left my wallet at the Tim Hortons in Science B at the UofC.
When I realized I had left it there, i dashed out of class and ran back, but it was no where to be found. Got a call later that day from the Engineering Dean's Office that someone had turned it in to them. When I went to pick it up, nothing was even missing.

Nice to know there's still some awesome people around :)

Graham_A_M
07-20-2009, 07:26 PM
When I was 19 at Pick & Pull, I lost my wallet with $900 cash in it, and two certified checks totaling $2900. All my photo ID was in it too. (About to buy a car, just needed a starter to drive it home).
Somebody returned it to the front desk, with all the money and cheques in it still. :eek: :eek: :eek:

That was the day I learnt the importance of not judging people based on their appearance. I'll still never forget that.
:clap: :love:

TorqueDog
07-20-2009, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Crymson
Apparently, if you have a baby photo in your wallet, you have an 88% chance of having it returned to you.

http://lifehacker.com/5313032/baby-photos-might-get-your-lost-wallet-returned

puppy = 53%
family = 48%
elderly couple = 28%
charity donation slip = 20%
nothing = 15% I'm putting my own baby picture in my wallet. :D

Skyline_Addict
07-20-2009, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
I'm putting my own baby picture in my wallet. :D

narcissism = 0%

7thgenvic
07-20-2009, 08:53 PM
I lost my wallet at Cowboys 5 years ago. The person left all my money in the wallet and put a elastic around it and put it in a mail box. Canada post mailed it back to my house.

Couple good people left in this world.

D'z Nutz
07-20-2009, 08:58 PM
I don't think I've ever found anyone's wallet, but in the past few weeks I've found 3 cell phones. First one I went through it to find an email address, took it to lost and found and emailed the person. She was pretty damn happy to get it back the following day. I'm not sure if the other two were claimed at the lost in found though.

Sugarphreak
07-20-2009, 09:13 PM

Manhattan
07-20-2009, 10:13 PM
You're welcome :D

TorqueDog
07-21-2009, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
narcissism = 0% Crap! :banghead: :rofl:

I don't have kids. Besides, no one'll know it's a picture of me anyway.

luv2ride_bikes
07-21-2009, 03:26 PM
I found a wallet in the middle of a residential street that had about $400 in it. The only ID in it was the kids student ID card. I called the school and left my number with them. The kid called me that day with his address. I dropped it off at his house. I wouldn't feel right taking the money.

freshprince1
07-21-2009, 03:47 PM
There still are lots of good people left in the world.

The wife and I were in San Diego in April, and visited the Wild Animal Reserve. There were thousands of people there. I took off my wedding ring to slather on some sun tan lotion and promptly left it on the bench.

3-4 hours go by. We enjoy a tram ride through the various animal enclosures. I finally realize I didn't have it, but was able to recover it in the park's lost and found.

Very grateful to whoever turned it in. Its worth $500, but way more value sentimentally.

I have also returned wallets without taking the money, glad karma has my back once in a while.

euphoria
07-21-2009, 04:00 PM
Its nice to see there are a lot of kind people out there especially when they could just snatch the money and throw the wallet away and no one will ever know.

But back to the OP: I'm just a bit confused on how you lose a wallet on a street? :dunno: It's not like you throw it out the window. :banghead:

Kartelli
07-21-2009, 04:28 PM
I know the odds are astronomical to have a wallet returned these days, but in my lifetime I've returned 4 wallets I found. All 4 were in the 5 years I attended Uni at the UofA. Engineers are the easiest to track down, the rest were found just by asking 3-4 friends to network and usually found the person.

I guess its all in how you value somebody elses property. I remember 1 wallet had 25 bus tickets in there, good for 50-60 bux. I also took the bus for over 10 years and remember the costs for doing so, felt bad for the guy not being able to go home for the day. Luckily found him by the end of the day, returned it all.

snoop101
07-21-2009, 04:34 PM
I think if I lost my wallet and got everything back 100% I would give the person something.. like ohh a case a beer or something nice like that.

Just remember if this happened in another country you would never ever see the wallet again. Alot of places you dont even need to lose your wallet to lose you wallet. (lol i think that makes sense)

V6-BoI
07-21-2009, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

On a side note somebody I worked with lost their wallet on the ski hill this winter. He had 300 to 400$ in it, it was mailed back express post to him a week later with no money... although the finder was nice enough to leave a roach in it for him. lol

Someone could have found your co-worker's wallet first and taken then money and then just threw it somewhere. Then another guy might have found it and mailed it back to your co-worker.

Rat Fink
07-22-2009, 12:50 AM

z24_wheels
07-22-2009, 09:24 AM
It will sound stupid lol. I hate having stuff in my pockets. I was filling my car with gas, I used quick pay with my MC, then put the wallet on top of my car while I filled up. I remembered I had to check the oil, so I got distracted. Drove away from the station with wallet on top of car and it probably fell off down the street on John Laurie.

But back to the OP: I'm just a bit confused on how you lose a wallet on a street? It's not like you throw it out the window.

Tik-Tok
07-22-2009, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by euphoria

But back to the OP: I'm just a bit confused on how you lose a wallet on a street? :dunno: It's not like you throw it out the window. :banghead:

I found one a couple of years ago, in the middle of the street. Turned out the guy had a small fender bender, had his wallet out for information, and forgot it on his trunk as he drove away.

I also found a drivers license in a parking lot another time, I drove across the city to deliver it, the old guy didn't even know it was missing, lol.

3g4u
07-22-2009, 01:26 PM
I found a chinese passport on the sidewalk downtown infront of a travel center about a month ago, went in and asked if they had met any asian ladies that looked like the picture and they said yes she just came though there. I gave them the passport and went on about my business, went back after a couple hours to see if she came back and there she was! She was so grateful. I am glad she got it as i would FLIP being on vacation and loosing my passport.

a social dsease
07-22-2009, 03:46 PM
My dad had his cellphone fall out of his pocket on a 30cm+ powder day at Fernie while going through a gladed black run. We thought it was definitely gone for good; didn't even bother to go and look for it because we figured it would be buried under several feet of snow.
Well 2 days later some guy calls me up from my dads phone, turned out he was going down the run and somehow saw the phone under the snow, and it still had a charge! And he lived less than a block from us! Amazing!

*edit* : that reminds me of another incident at Fernie. finished riding for the day and placed my cellphone on the roof of my car :facepalm: Drove back to the condo and realized I didn't have my phone so I booked it back up to the parking lot. Get out and see my phone sitting on the ground, so I go over to pick it up and when I'm about 15 ft away from grabbing it a Tahoe comes out of nowhere and runs it over :(

signature7
07-22-2009, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by a social dsease
My dad had his cellphone fall out of his pocket on a 30cm+ powder day at Fernie while going through a gladed black run. We thought it was definitely gone for good; didn't even bother to go and look for it because we figured it would be buried under several feet of snow.
Well 2 days later some guy calls me up from my dads phone, turned out he was going down the run and somehow saw the phone under the snow, and it still had a charge! And he lived less than a block from us! Amazing!

*edit* : that reminds me of another incident at Fernie. finished riding for the day and placed my cellphone on the roof of my car :facepalm: Drove back to the condo and realized I didn't have my phone so I booked it back up to the parking lot. Get out and see my phone sitting on the ground, so I go over to pick it up and when I'm about 15 ft away from grabbing it a Tahoe comes out of nowhere and runs it over :(

Cell phones, they make them smaller for a reason LOL. Sorry to hear about your cell though, it was probably run over before that though.

kBd1X1Gjc2o

Oh yeah, thanks to whoever turned in my wallet in Giovanni's geology class fall semester 08. Didn't have cash, but the wallet held sentimental value.