PDA

View Full Version : Can this tire be repaired?

Mitsu3000gt
07-20-2009, 01:37 PM
I don't have pictures yet, but I have a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's on my car and about a 2cm square piece of the outside tread block (not RIGHT on the edge but on the outside tread area) has been gouged out of the tire somehow - I have no idea how this sort of damage occurs. Anyways, it is still attached by one side, but if I lift up the square, I can see the steel belts underneath. I was notified of this by the dealer when the car went in for its 40k service, so I don't know how long it's been there for. Can this sort of thing be repaired or should I just buy a new tire? All the rubber is still there so I thought maybe it could be glued down but I'm not sure. If it matters, the size is 235-35-19.

The tires are nearly brand new so I am really hoping I can just buy 1 new one instead of 4 if it can't be repaired.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Redlyne_jr
07-20-2009, 01:46 PM
doesnt sound safe.. small holes, nails, screws stuff like that can normally be fixed provided it isn't in the sidewall from ur description it doesnt sound like its a good idea.. but a picture is worth a thousand words:dunno:

Tarrantula
07-20-2009, 01:47 PM
I would say that it would be unsafe to just repair.. I dont know if you could somehow get the manufacturer to send you a new tire (or two) but i dont imagine gluing it down will keep pressure in.

Higher chance of a blowout..

Mitsu3000gt
07-20-2009, 02:03 PM
I'll get a picture of it when I get home from work.

I should mention that the tire holds air perfectly, the damage ends at the steel belts and is only in the tread as far as I can tell, even though the belts are visible if I lift up the chunk. It really looks like I could just have it glued down and never know the difference. I've driven on it a couple times and have had zero problems.

Tarrantula
07-20-2009, 02:04 PM
Yeah but that spot will always be weaker.. increasing the chance of a tire blowing up on you. I dunno.. just doesnt sound safe.

sputnik
07-20-2009, 02:05 PM
I doubt you will be able to find anyone willing to fix a puncture outside of the tread pattern.

HHURICANE1
07-20-2009, 02:12 PM
The tire is garbage, there is no way to repair it. If the belts are exposed get a new one.

Mibz
07-20-2009, 02:13 PM
I was always told that once you can see belts, regardless of cause, the tire is garbage. It could be overcautious but my tires aren't something I would ever feel too careful about.

topmade
07-20-2009, 02:13 PM
It might be 100% fine to drive on and the odds that the belts will break on that exact spot is low, but I would replace it for peace of mind. Gluing it will do nothing, but make it "look" like it's fine. If you don't have a full sized spare, get a cheap steelie and you have one now.

Mitsu3000gt
07-20-2009, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
I doubt you will be able to find anyone willing to fix a puncture outside of the tread pattern.

It's within the tread pattern, and it's not a puncture. The tire holds air perfectly. Imagine someone took a knife and carved a 2cm square chunk out of the rubber in the tread down to the belts and left it attached by one side, like a little trap door or something. That is what it is like.

You know those chocolate calendars you can buy to count down to Christmas where every day in December you open up the little cardboard door and find a chocolate? It is like that except when I open the "door" I see steel belts instead of delicious milk chocolate.

As soon as I get home I'll post a pic and there shouldn't be any more confusion.

I will probably end up just buying one new tire. Are there any guidelines to how new the other tires have to be in order to replace just 1? I think they are at 8/32 and are quite new. I really don't want to buy $1200+ of new tires if I can help it.

Tarrantula
07-20-2009, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

You know those chocolate calendars you can buy to count down to Christmas where every day in December you open up the little cardboard door and find a chocolate? It is like that except when I open the "door" I see steel belts instead of delicious milk chocolate.

There should be a thread on how delicious these things are.

Mitsu3000gt
07-20-2009, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Tarrantula

There should be a thread on how delicious these things are.

Haha I fully agree - when I was younger I would just eat them all right away.

EDIT: I can't seem to find these tires anywhere.....I sent a PM to Urban Expressions but everywhere else I looked either shows them as discontinued or they don't carry them in 235-35-19. So far I've checked tirerack.com, 1010tires.com, and tiretrends.com. I'm still looking though.

J@Tuner
07-20-2009, 02:33 PM
The sizing you are looking for is discontinued from Goodyear and has been for approx a year now.

Send me an email or give me a call, we can discuss the tire you are after.

spikerS
07-20-2009, 03:07 PM
i think goodyear has a warranty for like 60k kms on thier crappiest tire, and has a road hazzard warranty. as this was probably caused by a road hazzard, the tire would be covered under warranty no?

I bought my last tires from fountain tire, and they are goodyears, and come with a roadhazzard warranty. might be worth looking into.

Mitsu3000gt
07-20-2009, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by J@Tuner
The sizing you are looking for is discontinued from Goodyear and has been for approx a year now.

Send me an email or give me a call, we can discuss the tire you are after.

E-mail sent, thanks. :thumbsup:

Mitsu3000gt
07-20-2009, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by spikers
i think goodyear has a warranty for like 60k kms on thier crappiest tire, and has a road hazzard warranty. as this was probably caused by a road hazzard, the tire would be covered under warranty no?

I bought my last tires from fountain tire, and they are goodyears, and come with a roadhazzard warranty. might be worth looking into.

The previous owner got the tires from tirerack.com and is trying to dig up the receipt for me. Before I buy anything, if I can get the receipt (assuming it's not only valid to the original owner) I will be contacting Tire Rack to see if I can get a warranty replacement. If the tire is discontinued in that size though, I don't know what they will be able to do for me - I doubt they will want to give me 4 brand new tires :D .

Mitsu3000gt
07-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Ok so I took some pictures of the damage. It looks bigger than it is.

http://mschlosser.smugmug.com/photos/597041711_AuiVK-XL.jpg

http://mschlosser.smugmug.com/photos/597040769_WsjGj-XL.jpg

http://mschlosser.smugmug.com/photos/597039803_zo6Sm-XL.jpg

Again, it's not losing air or anything and has been driven on a couple times without issue. I think it is probably best to replace though, which means I have to replace every god damn tire on the car because these tires aren't made anymore. They were nearly brand new as well.

I was looking at Hankook Ventus V12 Evo's as replacements, this month's Car & Driver just so happens to have a comparison on performance summer tires and the Hankook's did great. I can't afford $430/tire for Michelin PS2's. I mostly want something that is quiet, I could not believe how loud the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's are - between about 60 and 90 km/h they are extremely loud on my car.

topmade
07-22-2009, 07:44 AM
Check online to see if you can find one or two tires so you don't have to replace them all.

Here's one, I think it's USD, but $40 shipping to Canada. Not sure if they use UPS, but even with brokerage you'd still save money.

http://www.performanceplustire.com/products/tires/year/1996/makeID/603/modelID/8490/applicationID/9891/searchType/searchByVehicle/tireSize/235_SLASH_35-19/manufacturerID/28/productID_/286/tireDataID/2537#prodAnchor

Mitsu3000gt
07-22-2009, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by topmade
Check online to see if you can find one or two tires so you don't have to replace them all.

Here's one, I think it's USD, but $40 shipping to Canada. Not sure if they use UPS, but even with brokerage you'd still save money.

http://www.performanceplustire.com/products/tires/year/1996/makeID/603/modelID/8490/applicationID/9891/searchType/searchByVehicle/tireSize/235_SLASH_35-19/manufacturerID/28/productID_/286/tireDataID/2537#prodAnchor

Thanks a lot - I just might do that. No matter how many fees they charged me it would still be cheaper than $1000 for new tires.

Also, is there anything I need to worry about running a brand new tire with 3 slightly used tires? The car is AWD if that matters as the new tire will be turning just slightly different than the rest. New tires are 10/32, the 3 others will be 8/32.

Tarrantula
07-22-2009, 09:17 AM

Thanks a lot - I just might do that. No matter how many fees they charged me it would still be cheaper than $1000 for new tires.

Also, is there anything I need to worry about running a brand new tire with 3 slightly used tires?

If you have a traction control system.. it might not like the difference in diameters.. could cause problems. I would ask your dealer about possible negatives. it might also be in your owners manual.

Mitsu3000gt
07-22-2009, 09:25 AM

If you have a traction control system.. it might not like the difference in diameters.. could cause problems. I would ask your dealer about possible negatives. it might also be in your owners manual.

Yeah I have AWD and ESP.....definitely do not want to screw either of those up. I'll give Audi a call and see what they say.

Tarrantula
07-22-2009, 09:26 AM

Yeah I have AWD and ESP.....definitely do not want to screw either of those up. I'll give Audi a call and see what they say.

I know that I cant run 3 and 1 new on my murano, it thinks the wheel is slipping and can actually cause the vehicle to go into traction control and brake the wheel.. which.. could always be fun.

Mitsu3000gt
07-22-2009, 09:45 AM

I know that I cant run 3 and 1 new on my murano, it thinks the wheel is slipping and can actually cause the vehicle to go into traction control and brake the wheel.. which.. could always be fun.

Haha yeah, the brakes wouldn't last too long driving around like that all day. I'll check around and report back, thanks.

5000Audi
07-22-2009, 09:52 AM
i dont think you can just put 2 new tires on a AWD car..it has to be 4 or else 2 used that have the same /32 left on the tire.. on a FWD or RWD its fine to do 1 or 2 tires as long as they put in the correct spot on the car, but AWD i think you need 4 new or 1 used

Mitsu3000gt
07-22-2009, 09:53 AM
Ok so I called Audi, my tires are actually 7/32 and not 8/32 like I thought originally. They told me that 2/32 is where they draw the line, however there is more leeway from front to back than side to side, so I could perhaps get away with just buying 2 new tires. I think I am just going to replace them all and not take any chances. Damnit.

5000Audi
07-22-2009, 09:55 AM
4 tires would be best.. then at least you will have the 3 as a spare incase one blows.. and possibly by chance they would have the same /32's on them haha

sry4partying
08-18-2009, 11:21 PM
The tire is separated, or just has a large whole. Regardless it's not repairable.

I work at Kal Tire and this kind of thing comes in all the time.

EDIT : ONly read the OP

If you buy new tires keep your take offs if they have 7 or 8 32nds. But buying 2 new tires on an all wheel drive is okay just make sure they are put on the drive axles not the assisting ones.

tarrantas
08-18-2009, 11:22 PM
No man, you're straight fucked. in the bum.

ACURA44
09-06-2009, 05:59 PM
the tire is done, you should always replace tires in a set of 2 (2wd) or 4 (4wd) if there is a difference in tred depth but read the owners manual it should say what is req.

Mibz
09-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Is it sad that a 3 week old thread feels ancient?