PDA

View Full Version : wiring a sirius power plug?

Stunt66
07-20-2009, 05:15 PM
Do any of you guys know if i can just cut off my cigarette adapter from the sirius and splice the wires into the back of the cigarette plug in for the car? Will it be safe to have both the sirius and a radar plugged in at the same time? Thanks

ercchry
07-20-2009, 05:22 PM
yeah, should be fine, or you can wire it into the same wires as the deck, just make sure you attach the wires to the correct spots

futurecivic
07-20-2009, 10:09 PM
you need to make sure your sirius is 12volt and not 5 volt before you cut it off

jonny_q13
07-20-2009, 10:12 PM
read the plugs on ur sirius unit. a lot of them use a 5V input. worst case center pin is 12v and outside metal strip is ground. just keep the plug in line as a fused transformer for 12v to 5v

dooman24
07-20-2009, 10:13 PM
what if..
the Sirius and the radar.. uses more amperage then the rated fuse?

upgrade to a bigger amperage fure? is that safe?

huummmmmmmm

Redlyne_jr
07-20-2009, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
yeah, should be fine, or you can wire it into the same wires as the deck, just make sure you attach the wires to the correct spots

NO do not cut it otherwise u will be buying a new power adapter.. the inside of the cigarette plug uses a circuit board to transform the power and also has an internal fuse... buy a female cigarette plug connector i think radioshack has them for like 5 dollars and it transforms into a positive and negative wires from their you can wire them in..:guns:

Cooked Rice
07-21-2009, 12:54 AM
You have to cannibalize the lighter plug in. As mentioned there is a step down transformer in the plug. Just cut off the plastic casing with a dremel tool. The wire connected to the tip is + and the wire connected to the side is -. Those 2 wires can be connected to 12V (the tip that is, the other is connected to ground obviously).

I removed the transformer from the plug and have it hardwired. Been working fine for over 2 years now.

5000Audi
07-21-2009, 01:13 AM
with mine i bought a cheapo cigarette plug from princess auto and wired it up behind my cd player and ran the plug into it...