PDA

View Full Version : looking for sewing machine

GQBalla
07-21-2009, 09:23 PM
So I would like to know what to look for in a sewing machine.

its going to be a gift.

any ideas of where i may purchase one would be great.

i don't know what differences there are in the sewing machines? and if there is what brand should i buy?

cancer man
07-22-2009, 06:35 AM
I bought my wife a singer 20 years ago it still works fine.
What kind of sewing is it going to be used for?

It's like buy a Mechanic a tool.(personal thing)

Tik-Tok
07-22-2009, 07:06 AM
I doubt you'll get any useful first hand experience info from Beyond on this one (well... maybe from Kritafo), I suggest going to a place like Sewing World‎ (close to Snatch), and talk to the ladies there (that's where my wife gets her sewing machine stuff from)

sputnik
07-22-2009, 07:49 AM
Depends on your budget and needs. With sewing machines you basically get what you pay for.

If I was to stick with a brand new model I would look for a Bernina or Janome.

However my mom usually recommends people try and find an older used Bernina or Pfaff that has a metal case. They can be found on Kijiji for $50 and with a service at a repair shop you can have a like new machine that will last a lifetime.

freshprince1
07-22-2009, 09:17 AM
My wife just finally decided on one. She bought the Singer from Walmart for $120, then exchnaged it for another of the same model because something just didn't seem right. The problem persisted, so she returned the second one.

She ended up buying the Singer from Sears for $90. She seems to like it. Its a light duty machine.

civicrider
07-22-2009, 09:41 AM
most sewing machines are female, fat, short, tall skinny, i prefer brunette's but you can get them in blond as well, rarely you see them in ginger!

l/l/rX
07-22-2009, 10:40 AM
you can talk to my mom dude...she has tons of them.

JWL
07-22-2009, 10:55 AM
It all depends on how much you want to spend and what this person will be using it for the most.

As Sputnik said, if you want to buy new, get a Bernina or a Janome. However, plan on paying for an arm and a leg for a Bernina. Some people call it the "Rolls-Royce" of all sewing machines. A Janome is dependable and haven't cheaped out on their parts throughout the years where Pfaff, Singer and Toyota machines have.

I was going to buy a Janome model XL30 or the 8877, but I talked to a sewing machine repairman and he said, "If you can, find something old cuz it will last you forever, all the machines that come in for repairs are 5 years old or newer." So, I found myself a beauty - Singer model 237. It has a lot of power, but it can't do as much as a newer model (different types of stitching, 4 types of button holes, etc).

The repairman also mentioned that Frister & Rossmann is a good brand, but I don't know if you can get it in Canada.

There is a Singer shop on Centre St and I think 17th Ave, it's close to Wa's, you can always check in there and talk to someone who can give you a better idea.

The Wanderer
07-22-2009, 11:24 AM
They have a number of the old (some antiques) machines (with tredles if memory serves) at the crossroads flea market at the back booth

Kritafo
07-22-2009, 01:27 PM
Janome is my brand of choice for the everyday stuff.

It also depends on what you want the machine to do.
I have a Singer Serger and an industrial machine that does leather and suede.

Sears/Kenmore has a Janome made machine. Don't get sucked into this, it's has Sears settings not Janome's.

As far of price it's is all over the map, with options from everything from stitches to embroidery and quilting. Don't buy a machine is you think it will save you money. lol! It's so bad I have to hide fabric.

There are a few stores in Calgary go and take a peek. Most people don't use all the bells and whistles. Save that money some good quality accessories, like scissors and cutting mats.

TAKE CARE OF YOUR MACHINE!

http://www.gwsms.com/aboutus.htm they are fantastic repairman. The only repairmen I use for my machines. I have to service my industrial machine about once every other month. They are always on time, and very helpful. Two of them are named Peter and both are fantastic.

bjstare
07-22-2009, 01:55 PM
My moms been a seamstress for years and when my parents bought my wife a sewing machine for her birthday they got her a Janome 625E. Theres a model one down from that if you want to save money, but both are a good balance of features and low cost. The advantage to the 625E is its electric, which can be nice. I think it was ~$600, but I'm not sure. I should mention my mom teaches sewing lessons, and has for the past 10ish years, and sees what machines are good and bad for basic features and reliability. She would also agree with saying a janome is good, or an old metal case pfaff.

Kritafo
07-22-2009, 02:09 PM
Janome model 1022 is what the CBE for classes at our school. It's a very reliable machine. I have less issues with my Janome then I do with my industrial machine that only does straight stitches.

One more thing, I will look into this myself actually. Kenmore machines were built by Janome with sears specs. Not sure if this is still the case, but they were less $$.

abyss
07-22-2009, 04:19 PM
I have a Kenmore and LOVE it, mine is the one a step down from the elite (Hampstor didn't want to spend $1500 on a sewing machine. haha). I put it though a lot of abuse on a pretty much daily basis. It's great for my business needs, and it would be a great machine for light to heavy personal use as well. All depends on what you need it for though! I agree with the poster who said go down to sewing shops and ask around, don't just go to one though, cause they all push one brand over the others, so shop around.

benyl
07-22-2009, 04:31 PM
http://www.husqvarnaviking.com/ca/en/

Haha, it has a manly name, so it has to be good shit.

three33
07-22-2009, 04:39 PM
My gf has a Brother sewing machine, was like $200 but works great for her to hemm pants and do basic sewing things. It's pretty fancy even for the basics.

GQBalla
07-23-2009, 10:17 AM
holy i had no idea sewing machines can be that expensive.

but thanks for all the info everyone!

im going to check out the singer shop