PDA

View Full Version : Hitting parked cars...

Zhariak
07-22-2009, 03:05 PM
So I just read the thread on the douche bag who parks like a douche bag, which made me start thinking about something else.

I have a problem, happens around once every month. I park my vehicle PERFECTLY in a parking lot, and people ALWAYS hit it when they are parking, or pulling out of the parking spot.

Since I purchased my vehicle in 2008, I've been hit while parked over 12 times. I have a plastic piece that covers my hitch, and thankfully that has taken most of the hits (I'm sure it's cheap to replace).

But I still continuously find paint scuffs on my bumpers all the time, quarter panels, etc... It's really starting to piss me off. Thankfully there has been no serious damage.

Just wondering if this is happening to anyone else as much as it's happening to me. Anyone received any apology notes? I've gotten NONE!

I'm just waiting until I see someone do this to my vehicle. It'll be a grand day!

Tik-Tok
07-22-2009, 03:07 PM
You've got shitty luck, or have really bad neighbors.

In 10 years, I've had 2 door dings (that I know of), and one full on accident (my car was parked, my friends roomate backed into it at a significant rate of speed)

Kloubek
07-22-2009, 03:10 PM
It is possible if it is just scuffs that they are not aware. If there is a vehicle that parks beside you all the time, and you see paint transfer on your car from their car, then I would confront them and ask for them to pay for any repair required.

Try Mr. Clean magic eraser; it gets rid of scuffs very well.

Zhariak
07-22-2009, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
You've got shitty luck, or have really bad neighbors.

In 10 years, I've had 2 door dings (that I know of), and one full on accident (my car was parked, my friends roomate backed into it at a significant rate of speed)

Actually, this always happens at restaurants, malls, etc... Never had issues in residential areas...

Actually with my old vehicle, I drove it for 4 years... No door hits, no scuffs, JUST before I traded it in, I was at a gas station and some fat passenger in a car parked parallel to me at a different pump, smoked it and made one of the worst gouges I've ever seen. I didn't notice it till after.

It's pretty funny actually. Even when I bought my new vehicle, within the first week some cutie ended up rear ending me. Asked her out but had a boyfriend...

It's odd I keep getting hit. But it's even more odd I've never had more serious damage...

freshprince1
07-22-2009, 03:29 PM
Sounds like someone's out to get you OP.

psycoticclown
07-22-2009, 03:36 PM
I agree with the OP. I haven't gotten any door dings, but my back bumper has 3 or 4 paint marks and 2 or 3 tiny dents. I'm pretty sure some asstwat musta hit my car one day. Pisses me off so much.

Been hit in the first or 2nd week of owning my car too, some asshole backed into me as some of you guys might recall. Now that pissed me off so much.

Sometimes I think it's not even worth getting a nice car in Calgary, between the dumbass drivers that will hit you to the rock chips in winter to inconsiderate fucks in parking lots, it's almost not even worth getting a nice car and maintaining it here.

Zhariak
07-22-2009, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by freshprince1
Sounds like someone's out to get you OP.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2274/2404325409_5543da1791.jpg?v=0

bubbley
07-22-2009, 03:41 PM
No never..maybe happend once or twice in the last 10 years :dunno:

B4tMan
07-22-2009, 03:42 PM
Are you driving a bmw? maybe they're jealous

Zhariak
07-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by B4tMan

haha, no I'm not driving a BMW. I will never buy or own one... (No offense to the BMW drivers out there, Just not my kinda car)

bubbley
07-22-2009, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by B4tMan

What is that hanging from the side of your mouth?

Zhariak
07-22-2009, 03:49 PM
Here's something else to add which is totally un-related, and off topic.

Once went to a funeral. Parked behind the funeral place on 17th. Some dude wrote in the dust on my back window "Fuck with thy turf, and sleep with the dead"... or something to that affect.

THANK GOD it was on the back window and not the paint :)

I think a drug dealer thought I may have been stepping on his turf.

bubbley
07-22-2009, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Zhariak
Here's something else to add which is totally un-related, and off topic.

Once went to a funeral. Parked behind the funeral place on 17th. Some dude wrote in the dust on my back window "Fuck with thy turf, and sleep with the dead"... or something to that affect.

THANK GOD it was on the back window and not the paint :)

I think a drug dealer thought I may have been stepping on his turf.

I think you are being haunted by a ghost..who dings your car

xorina
07-22-2009, 04:31 PM
LOL i dont think a drug dealer would write that on ur window to scare you :rofl:

maybe some punk kid.

Zhariak
07-22-2009, 04:33 PM
I seriously thought it was a serious threat from a drug dealer...

Looked like some shady people were on that street.

bjstare
07-22-2009, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by xorina
LOL i dont think a drug dealer would write that on ur window to scare you :rofl:

maybe some punk kid.

+1, drug dealers aren't parking patrol. They wouldn't be doing that to every car that parks on the street. And unless you were selling drugs, theres no good reason for a dealer to do that. Probly a punk kid.

Zhariak
07-22-2009, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by cjblair

+1, drug dealers aren't parking patrol. They wouldn't be doing that to every car that parks on the street. And unless you were selling drugs, theres no good reason for a dealer to do that. Probly a punk kid.

I still think it could be... I could be wrong though...

I think it has something todo with my age and what I drive...

Disoblige
07-22-2009, 07:05 PM
Try putting a camera in a location that can have a good spot of who hits you, especially since you're getting hit about once a month. You may recognize the person, and/or you may have been hit by the same person more than once.

signature7
07-22-2009, 07:06 PM
Try to park where there's 50 percent coverage, such as the end of a row, or near landscaping. There's less chance you'll be hit with door dings or scratches from other drivers. Another technique is to park beside a seden or minivan as their doors don't extend out as much as a coupe would. You could also try and park beside cars that have much greater value than yours. Finally, when you are driving in a group with other friends whoa re driving, park beside each other.

If it's some punk kid then that's pretty much unavoidable, if someone wants to fuck with your car they will. The above techniques will eliminate the percentage and probability of being hit by random occurrences.

Zhariak
07-22-2009, 07:09 PM
This doesn't happen in the same spot...

It's always in different parking lots... At the bank, movie theater, restaurants, etc...

the car manufacturer came out with a new 2way remote system... Shock absorbers, incline ratio, etc... I'm probably going to get this installed soon...

then when I'm having dinner and it goes off, I go outside and bust a cap!

PGTze
07-22-2009, 07:22 PM
What do you drive? A big truck?

Zhariak
07-22-2009, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by PGTze
What do you drive? A big truck?

Same chassis as the Suburban...

It's big, but I still park it properly... Always back into spots when I can so I can get as far back as possible...

Zhariak
07-22-2009, 07:34 PM

It's big, but I still park it properly... Always back into spots when I can so I can get as far back as possible...

But with that being said... It still doesn't give people the right to hit my vehicle...

I'm 22 now, and since I've been driving since I was 16, I have NEVER hit another vehicle... EVER.

I rather open the door and get out and look rather than hit someones ride...

PGTze
07-22-2009, 07:35 PM
So a Big Truck. Big vehicle + small parking lot + shitty drivers = smash.

Zhariak
07-22-2009, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by PGTze
So a Big Truck. Big vehicle + small parking lot + shitty drivers = smash.

Well kind of... Keep in mind, I DO know how to park it...

Still doesn't give people the right...

4DoorGTZ
07-22-2009, 07:49 PM

Aww come on, ppl always judge when young people drive Caddy's, I dont say I'm driving a Sigma platform.... I'd be pissed and want to convey that by telling beyond that your Escalade is getting dinged not your Suburban chassis

Zhariak
07-22-2009, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by 4DoorGTZ

Aww come on, ppl always judge when young people drive Caddy's, I dont say I'm driving a Sigma platform.... I'd be pissed and want to convey that by telling beyond that your Escalade is getting dinged not your Suburban chassis

I'm just choked that people do this kind of stuff... I know we are always going to have bad drivers on the road, and people that buy their licenses.... But I was bored today, and felt like causing some commotion on Beyond :)

Even if I did identify what I drive, I'm sure no one would be able to help me identify who's doing it... Actually I'm sure I'd probably get a dose of haterade for driving a tank...

:)

B4tMan
07-22-2009, 08:25 PM

haha, no I'm not driving a BMW. I will never buy or own one... (No offense to the BMW drivers out there, Just not my kinda car)
hehe I'm with you

although you know, BMW is a lifestyle ;)

almerick
08-19-2009, 01:43 PM
that sucks man, my car got hit at UofC parking lot (haskayne), person who hit it left a fake number, there was paint transfered and cracks :(

KotaRT
08-25-2009, 02:21 PM
:hitit:

se7en
08-25-2009, 09:13 PM
lol....those two way alarms are kick ass..I'd love to get one, and kick some ass every time someone hit or dinged my car.

hampstor
08-25-2009, 09:46 PM
ugh I feel your pain. You just reminded me of when I watched someone who had just backed into my truck get away with it.

I was at the foothills labour and delivery triage (5th floor, overlooks front parking lot) at 2am - there were maybe... 5 cars in the parking lot near mine. My wife was in labour, my 2-way remote went off, I looked out the window and saw a white car of some sort who had just backed into my truck. Then about 15 seconds later, it drove away. When I finally was able to make it down in the afternoon, there was damage done to my bumper cover on the left side :banghead:

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk71/hampstor/foothills.jpg

aget
08-26-2009, 09:47 AM
^ Brutal dude. Especially since you saw the car that did it, but couldn't do anything about it :thumbsdow