PDA

View Full Version : for sale sign question

snoop101
07-22-2009, 05:28 PM
Hey guys...

Is there any restrictions in Alberta about putting a for sale sign in the car? Fiance parks at the mall and thought it would be good for her to put a sign up while she works.

Also will any smaller car dealers sell your car on there lot and take a cut?

FraserB
07-22-2009, 05:33 PM
The bylaw in the city is that you cant have a For Sale sign on a vehicle on public property. Not too sure about the mall.

mr2mike
07-22-2009, 05:43 PM
Worst they'll probably do is warn you. Try it and see. I parked off a major road once and got a call from the RCMP they will tag and tow if I don't move it by tomorrow.
Thing is there was like 4 other cars parked for sale in that spot. People must have complained.

snoop101
07-22-2009, 05:52 PM
I was thinking of calling the mall (south centre), but they would probably transfer me to the peanut gallery (security) and get some dumb answer from a kid who rides his bmx to work.

Dumbass17
07-22-2009, 10:08 PM
i had my truck parked on a buddies street while we wen tto pemberton and i had my forsale sign in the window
the fuckin city towed it after 48 hours because of the sign

call the city and ask their stupid parking laws

Masked Bandit
07-24-2009, 07:11 AM
As long as you don't leave your vehicle in the same spot overnight I would think you'll be okay. If you're thinking to just leave it in the window while you're in the mall shopping, at the grocery store, whatever I'd be surprised if you had a problem.

lilmira
07-24-2009, 07:59 AM
"A person shall not park a vehicle that is being displayed for sale or that is
displaying advertising directing persons to a commercial premises on a
highway."

Taken straight out of the By-law. As long as the car is not on a highway you are ok. Technically they can write you ticket even if you leave your car on the road for 1min.

snoop101
07-24-2009, 08:08 AM
Its going to be sitting at the mall for 8 hours a day, but really unless the security rides around and notices it and makes a big deal about it I should be good.

its not like they can see it with there security camera's. :rolleyes:

freshprince1
07-24-2009, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by lilmira
"A person shall not park a vehicle that is being displayed for sale or that is
displaying advertising directing persons to a commercial premises on a
highway."

Taken straight out of the By-law. As long as the car is not on a highway you are ok. Technically they can write you ticket even if you leave your car on the road for 1min.

Wow. I was completely ignorant of this. I always throw up a for sale sign in my car when selling it, and have never had any trouble. This is good to know as I have been parking my car at Canadian Tire for last couple weekends, I'll make sure to keep it off the highway.

Good Thread.:thumbsup:

Dumbass17
07-24-2009, 09:34 AM
how about getting the decals?

just get FOR SALE with the number underneath and put it on your back window
that shouldn't cause a problem :dunno:

canuckcarguy
07-24-2009, 10:38 AM
Who cares what the bylaw says about parking it on a street, he's parking it in a mall.

Why the big debate? Just put the sign in it, and if they bitch at you about it, take it out.

snoop101
07-24-2009, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
how about getting the decals?

just get FOR SALE with the number underneath and put it on your back window
that shouldn't cause a problem :dunno:

anyone happen to know where I could pick up a basic decal like this for cheap. I live in the south. I would assume most commercial decal places would have them, just wondering if anyone knows a good place.

Cos
07-24-2009, 11:15 AM
i see people use the for sale sign as a window shade when they take the train

403Gemini
07-24-2009, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by snoop101
I was thinking of calling the mall (south centre), but they would probably transfer me to the peanut gallery (security) and get some dumb answer from a kid who rides his bmx to work.

Doesn't southcenter have a police unit built into the mall? :dunno: I know they used too